State of the USFL

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
As much as I really enjoyed this league some thirty something years ago, and as much as I want to see it survive in it's go around , the 2 glaring factors will stop it, and I invite others to also state the more obvious that would only contribute to its demise.

1) Youve got 8 teams representing cities. But who wants to watch football games that are limited to 2 stadiums in Alabama? If I hear New Jersey Generals, like I had season tickets to the first go around, I'd better be at it watching the game in tv in then Giants Stadium, but Legion Field or Protective Stadium? Philadelphia Stars? Send me to Lincoln Financial please! If there's no added sponsorship and Lord knows the NFL is not playing in the spring, this declines the parity and originality and almost feels like varsity teams in the same area going to a little league field

Secondly, have you seen some of these pathetic crowds? I mean come on. Barely 18,000 in week 1? I know you have the perennial home town favorites in the Birmingham Stallions but I know for sure in small market venues, and even larger ones there is an inkling for Springtime football. How is this league going to be fueled by lack of interest and survive. Are they going to be sold this time for around a buck fifty?

I will say this. Ive never witnesses a league before that had more tv sponsorship networks than actual venues. It's more embarrassing than the rules were when Vince would render it and the rules a potential long time success.

By the way that drone has the best chance in sacking the QB.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
VIEJO DINOSAUR doesn't like the chances of survival for the USFL.

I thought the pair of television partners (FOX and NBC) would help the league to survive.

All 43 regular season and postseason games are on FOX, FS1, NBC, USA, or Peacock networks.

The television ratings, however, dropped 57% from Week 1 to Week 2.

Predictable yet still alarming.

Advantage right now goes to VD.

jimmythegreek

I hope MLB didn't destroy those cardboard fan cutouts.You can basically count on your fingers the number of fans in the stands facing each other side to side.

Last edited:

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
I get what they are trying to do, but there is no community involvement. The play is a step above college but below pro. Look at the first go around of the USFL, they were getting NFL caliber players, and that reflected in the quality of play. I liken the empty stadium as just a fancy TV studio for these teams to play. I have to wonder if there will be a season 2? Just goes to show you what a monopoly the NFL really is.

I went to one USFL game back in the day, NY/NJ Generals at Michigan Panthers played at the Silverdome. Panthers played exciting football, and it was Herschel Walker coming to town. There was a solid crowd and the Silverdome was loud. Panthers won the game and the league title in the inception season. BTW, the halftime entertainment was Captain & Tenille!

jimmythegreek

And you thought NFL kickers struggled with PAT'S? This brings new meaning to keystone cops.

JK glossary in 3...2...1

Heim

EOG Master
I get what they are trying to do, but there is no community involvement. The play is a step above college but below pro. Look at the first go around of the USFL, they were getting NFL caliber players, and that reflected in the quality of play. I liken the empty stadium as just a fancy TV studio for these teams to play. I have to wonder if there will be a season 2? Just goes to show you what a monopoly the NFL really is.

I went to one USFL game back in the day, NY/NJ Generals at Michigan Panthers played at the Silverdome. Panthers played exciting football, and it was Herschel Walker coming to town. There was a solid crowd and the Silverdome was loud. Panthers won the game and the league title in the inception season. BTW, the halftime entertainment was Captain & Tenille!

Yup, a decent product. I went to a few LA Express games with Steve Young at Qb, and a few Cali Sun games at Anaheim
Stadium with USC's Anthony Davis at running back. They signed some big names. And yes more community
involvement from appearances by cheerleaders to store signings with players.

Sleepy

EOG Master
I literally lose every weekend on this crap.

Who the hell cuts the #1 overall pick halfway through the season?

Before today's early game they were interviewing Haley and he said the key to the game would be playing mistake free and not getting any stupid penalties. They proceed to get 12 penalties for 100 yards in the first half alone. One guy got 15 yds for a personal foul and then another 15 yds for not sitting out a play.

Even Fezzik threw in the towel on this crap.

I think they are one and done.

CFL is a much better product.

Heim

EOG Master
I give them credit, in order to eliminate tanking the two last place teams this weekend, winner gets the first
pick (assuming league still around).

The NFL should adapt a similar policy, or is that admitting to tanking?

Teams out of playoff contention, order of draft now based on best record. Change
worst gets first.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
I give them credit, in order to eliminate tanking the two last place teams this weekend, winner gets the first
pick (assuming league still around).

The NFL should adapt a similar policy, or is that admitting to tanking?

Teams out of playoff contention, order of draft now based on best record. Change
worst gets first.
Michigan Panthers I believe were the pre season favorites to win the Championship....they now find themselves with the #1 pick for next year, if there will be a next year!

Football in the springtime/summertime just doesn't work.
If the NFL decided to have another developmental league I think it would work. Each team sends 15 guys they would like to "develop". 8 teams 2 divisions 10 games (play teams inside your division twice others once) division leaders play for the championship. Would be a great way to develop QBs drafted in rounds 4+.