Stats sheets here at EOG

Santo

EOG Veteran
Can anyone give me a little help here? I posted this elsewhere too, but inda stuck with it..

I was looking at the figures from an old statsheet today to check the figures were reliable before I used it;

http://eog.com/statsfeed/index.aspx?page=cfb/expanded&gameid=20051001HAWAII&sit=1&back=1

Now according to that, before the game v Hawaii, Boise State's opponents were giving up an average of 30.9 pts on defense, I take that from:

Opponents Defensive Avg. 30.9 PPG

BOISE played Georgia, Oregon St, Bowling Green

Georiga: 15 + 7 + 10 + 13
Oregon St: 14 + 27 + 63 + 42
Bowling Green: 56 + 31 + 48

SUM: 326 / 11 = 29.63 PPG

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Am I picking the wrong figure off the stat sheet or are their numbers wrong?

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
Without verifying right now, I do not doubt that errors are made on the stats. I am sure there are others too. We can report it.

Thanks

I will look into this Santo .... if you can't trust the numbers then they are worthless ... I PROMISE I will get this straight....

G

Santo

EOG Veteran
Thanks guys. It's possible it may be an error on my part, but wanted to work it out before I relied on the info.

Santo

EOG Veteran
I got the answer thanks to Labeeb..

Seems they calculate it (Georgia Avg + Oregon State Avg + Bowling Green Avg)/3 rather than (Total Points / Total Games)..

Which brings me to another point; I wonder which is statistically correct..

MLM

EOG Member
Santo said:
I got the answer thanks to Labeeb..

Seems they calculate it (Georgia Avg + Oregon State Avg + Bowling Green Avg)/3 rather than (Total Points / Total Games)..

Which brings me to another point; I wonder which is statistically correct..

Doing it the (Total Pts/Total games) would give too much weight to the two schools that have played 4 games, and not enough to Bowling Green who has only played three. It doesn't seem like a major difference though.