Super Bowl LIV: 49ers v Chiefs (IN-GAME THREAD)

Crazy Pete

EOG Addicted
+4000 MVP comes from the losing team --- chuck howley - dallas colts super bowl
+550 ----MVP any defender

draftkings

As I recall, the Super Bowl MVP in the 70’s was voted on well before the end of the game, which is preposterous. Deciding the MVP before the most valuable part of the game is played out ?!? 😳. JFC 🙄
That Chuck Howley Super Bowl was very close, so when the votes had to be cast, it wasn’t clear who would win. Ergo, a loser won.
That won’t happen again. Even 40-1 is a rip-off.

The only player I thought should be MVP from a losing team since Howley’s 1970 team was in baseball, Barry Bonds vs the Angels, yet he didn’t come close.
It ain’t happening in a one game championship, not when votes are cast AFTER the game.

kane

EOG master
you don't think Mahomes has a shot winning MVP and losing the game ?

Mahomes could win MVP in a losing effort if he throws for 400 yards and 4 TD's, but the Chiefs lose a close game and no one on SF puts up big stats, probably worth a flyer on 40/1

Crazy Pete

EOG Addicted
Mahomes could win MVP in a losing effort if he throws for 400 yards and 4 TD's, but the Chiefs lose a close game and no one on SF puts up big stats, probably worth a flyer on 40/1

Point taken that if anyone could do it nowadays, it would be Mahomes.

But if Mahomes had a great day & still lost, someone from SF must have had a great day too, and he’d get the mvp.

The perfect storm for ‘loser wins mvp’ was the aforementioned 2002 WS.
Bonds had a great Series: maybe best offensive Series ever.
Lots of Angels played well, but no one did exceptional. Kane’s exact scenario.I would have given it to Bonds, no-brainer. But he didn’t get it, & afaik wasn’t even close.

Kane’s scenario is plausible, could have @ 1/40 chance of happening.
But even if it does, if Bonds didn’t win it, Mahomes won’t either IMO.

Sol Diablo

House of Heat
mahomes throws 3 tds MVP & runs for 50 yds

SF gets 3 fg
SF has 1 Kick return
SF has Fum rec

49ERS 23
KC --21

The sequence of scoring very important here. Is there a walk-off game winning FG? If so, MVP fav might be the kicker.

SF wins on a scoop and score at the end? Whoever scores that TD gets the MVP.

boston massacre

EOG Master

In Your Scenario, if all Kicking P.A.T.'S are Good for K.C., then S.F. will score at Least 29 Points.

If they put up 29, then Easy to find a S.F. M.V.P.

boston massacre

EOG Master
mahomes throws 3 tds MVP & runs for 50 yds

SF gets 3 fg
SF has 1 Kick return
SF has Fum rec

49ERS 23
KC --21

Remember. When Chuck Howley won M.V.P. for Dallas in Super Bowl on Defensive Side of Ball, they Lost Game 16-13. Low Scoring.

But Howley was Responsible for being +3 (Himself) in the TURNOVER Department. 2 Interceptions and Created a Fumble.

Lol 2 kick returns for TD? What are the odds on that 1000-1? I'd just give the MVP to the returner in that case.

MVP is a meaningless award that has pretty much be given to the media to choose. They aren't going to disappoint fans and give it to a loser unless he has an incredible game and somehow loses. Like Kurt Warner with the Cardinals. That was the one time since I've been watched where you could reasonably give it to a losing player. Then again if he didn't turn it over or helps make that tackle at the end of the first half they win and he wins the MVP running away.

MrTop

EOG Master
Lol 2 kick returns for TD? What are the odds on that 1000-1? I'd just give the MVP to the returner in that case.

MVP is a meaningless award that has pretty much be given to the media to choose. They aren't going to disappoint fans and give it to a loser unless he has an incredible game and somehow loses. Like Kurt Warner with the Cardinals. That was the one time since I've been watched where you could reasonably give it to a losing player. Then again if he didn't turn it over or helps make that tackle at the end of the first half they win and he wins the MVP running away.

any kind of return.. 1 yd fumble 2 separate players on the returns. could cancel out

MrTop

EOG Master
2 Passing TD'S By the Losing Q.B.

Going to vote Him M.V.P. ???

That would get you a Lot of Media Interviews, as to " WHAT'S YOUR THINKING".

hey they gave it to defenders in the past on winning and losing teams …. there are no rules in voting

there could be a co winner just like in dallas Denver Harvey martin randy white won in same game.... That could happen again when 2 td returns happen for same winning team

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Just found out that one of my good friends is on the 49ers and under....this guy is as sharp as they come...I could be in trouble....

KevinStott11

EOG Veteran
Ahead of kickoff, ESPN.com's writers, editors, analysts, columnists and pundits made predictions for the big game.

1580359224135.png

Predicting KC Chiefs win

Dan Appenfeller, NFL editor: 34-27
Todd Archer, Cowboys reporter: 31-27
Ben Arledge, NFL editor: 34-27
Sarah Barshop, Texans reporter: 34-31
Dave Bearman, ESPN Chalk editor: 31-20
Dane Beavers, NFL editor: 31-20
Matthew Berry, fantasy writer: 31-27
Matt Bowen, NFL analyst: 28-20
John Buccigross, SportsCenter anchor: 27-24
Heather Burns, NFL editor: 42-28
Rich Cimini, Jets reporter: 31-28
Courtney Cronin, Vikings reporter: 34-31
Turron Davenport, Titans reporter: 34-21
Rob Demovsky, Packers reporter: 33-28
Michael DiRocco, Jaguars reporter: 31-27
David Fleming, NFL writer: 54-51
Mike Golic, ESPN radio: 28-24
Chris Grandstaff, NFL editor: 38-31
Dan Graziano, national NFL reporter: 34-28
Brady Henderson, Seahawks reporter: 23-21
Jamison Hensley, Ravens reporter: 20-17
Jon Hudec, NFL editor: 23-20
Preston Johnson, ESPN Chalk analyst: 30-24
Tim Kavanagh, NFL editor: 31-18
John Keim, Redskins reporter: 30-28
Vince Masi, ESPN Stats & Information: 36-31
Bob McClellan, NFL editor: 37-31
Vaughn McClure, Falcons reporter: 28-21
Tim McManus, Eagles reporter: 33-26
Todd McShay, NFL draft analyst: 31-27
Ian O'Connor, senior NFL writer: 27-23
Brooke Pryor, Steelers reporter: 34-28
Jordan Raanan, Giants reporter: 31-26
Jason Reid, The Undefeated writer: 41-27
Mike Reiss, Patriots reporter: 31-27
Michael Rothstein, Lions reporter: 35-24
Aaron Schatz, Football Outsiders: 38-31
Sarah Spain, espnW reporter: 27-24
Chris Sprow, NFL editor: 34-24
Pat Sutherland, NFL editor: 33-23
Adam Teicher, Chiefs reporter: 27-21
Mike Triplett, Saints reporter: 27-23
Seth Walder, analytics writer: 34-17
Mike Wells, Colts reporter: 31-21
Eric D. Williams, Chargers reporter: 33-30
Jeremy Willis, NFL editor: 34-21
Trey Wingo, NFL analyst: 34-31
Cameron Wolfe, Dolphins reporter: 31-27

Predicting SF 49ers win

Elizabeth Baugh, multisport editor: 34-27
Stephania Bell, fantasy analyst: 31-28
T.J. Berka, NFL editor: 28-24
Mike Clay, NFL analyst: 28-27
Jeff Dickerson, Bears reporter: 28-27
Ben Fawkes, ESPN Chalk editor: 34-31
Jeremy Fowler, senior NFL writer: 30-27
Paul Gutierrez, Raiders reporter: 31-30
Eric Karabell, fantasy writer: 38-31
Doug Kezirian, ESPN Chalk analyst: 30-24
Mina Kimes, ESPN Daily host: 34-31
Jeff Legwold, Broncos reporter: 27-23
Steve Levy, SportsCenter anchor: 24-17
Keith Lipscomb, fantasy editor: 31-27
Marcel Louis-Jacques, Bills reporter: 35-24
Elizabeth Merrill, NFL writer: 35-31
Alisha Miller, NFL editor: 35-32
David Newton, Panthers reporter: 28-24
Katie Nolan, Always Late host: 24-21
Anthony Olivieri, researcher: 28-24
John Pluym, NFL editor: 31-28
Kevin Seifert, national NFL writer: 38-35
Mike Tannenbaum, NFL analyst: 35-31
Lindsey Thiry, Rams reporter: 28-26
Kevin Van Valkenburg, NFL writer: 28-24
Nick Wagoner, 49ers reporter: 34-31
Josh Weinfuss, Cardinals reporter: 27-24
Seth Wickersham, NFL writer: 21-20
Field Yates, NFL analyst: 31-27

Feels like some value in betting alternate totals, if the game is tight could be in the 40s. If the Chiefs get ahead early for a change could be in the 60s. The 54.5 feels like a midpoint of these wide possibilities but not such a likely final.

High Times

EOG Master
The concern I would have with this over is it’s two 1st time SB QBs. Decent chance one has a game like Goff did.

The Rams are an example of the NFL being a very weak conference right now. The NFC has been putting some weak teams in the Super Bowl for a while now.

High Times

EOG Master
I don't understand.

kc was -7.5 at home vs a #6 seed

sf was a -7.5 at home vs #2 seed

yet all the love is coming on the walrus.

The NFC was a joke. Whoever got the home field was going to the Super Bowl. The Seahawks came within an inch of sending the 49ers to the 5th seed.

Then you all would be claiming how Great the Packers are......

Back the NFC ....... Go for it

High Times

EOG Master
That means the Chiefs can't score more than 25 points.

I think they could get 40!

Andy Reid's offense loves it when teams blitz. This offense will not have any problem against this 49er defense.

kane

EOG master
That means the Chiefs can't score more than 25 points.

I think they could get 40!

Andy Reid's offense loves it when teams blitz. This offense will not have any problem against this 49er defense.

The 49ers rarely blitz, they get enough pressure from their front four that they don't need to blitz

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Andy Reid has a big history of fkn up tight games with his time management and play calling...if much less stressful situations. He was quite awful in the play offs and will now be in the biggest game of his life.

yes he is a very good coach with extra prep time so maybe he has a solid first 15 plays.

If they get a quick jump on the 49ers playing sf in game is going to be gold.

andy reid will become super conservative with his play calling and it is always tough to coach when his sausage fingers wrapped around his own throat.

kyle shanny does not want what happened to him the last time he is calling plays in the super bowl. he keeps adding while the walrus is try to take the air out of the ball.
The squares are on the 49ers.......

Anyone betting the 49ers are not sharp in any way.
how did that work for the sharps in the superbowl last year?

Don Eagleston

EOG Addicted
Game reminds me of last year when all the Left Coast Guys and Gals proclaimed that their numbers showed the Rams were 3 points better. Three points was correct because that's what the Rams scored. No one is arguing that McVay is a genius anymore. His grandfather certainly wasn't. Now the lastest genius is Kyle Shanahan, another hire based on nepotism. I don't remember either McVay or Shanahan being any kind of genius when they coached in D.C. I think Andy, for all his flaws, outcoaches the aging millennial Sunday. Chiefs by 10 as Mahomes is the difference. Teams are now flawed because the salary cap prevents them getting top players throughout the lineup.

lap18

EOG Dedicated
I liked 49ers after their last game but I am firmly behind KC now. I think Mahomes gets out of the pocket and makes the difference. 49ers haven't had to rely on JImmy G to pass and put up points like they will need to against KC. Chiefs 34-24...

High Times

EOG Master
The 49ers rarely blitz, they get enough pressure from their front four that they don't need to blitz

If they don't blitz they are done. Tennessee refused to blitz and Mahomes destroyed them.

Niners played 6 good QB's all year and got beat up by all of them. They ate alive the bad ones......
I wouldn't have bet any NFC team against this Chiefs team. Or any AFC team for that matter....

High Times

EOG Master
There are sharps on both sides of this game, saying sharps aren't taking the 49ers is wrong

The 49ers are the sucker bet. Anyone betting them is a square!

The 49ers are an illusion. 6 inches from being the 5th seed and would have never sniffed the Superbowl.

K.C. has been ready for this for years now....

High Times

EOG Master
There are sharps on both sides of this game, saying sharps aren't taking the 49ers is wrong

Plus the 49ers had one of those NFL friendly schedules. 6 inches away from the 5th seed and they are the best team in football. Not likely.

If they don't blitz they are done. Tennessee refused to blitz and Mahomes destroyed them.

Niners played 6 good QB's all year and got beat up by all of them. They ate alive the bad ones......
I wouldn't have bet any NFC team against this Chiefs team. Or any AFC team for that matter....

Guess Rodgers is no good anymore?