WR Glenn Holt
OT Levi Jones
S Mike Doss
QB Ryan Fitzpatrick
OT Stacy Andrews
WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh

2009 NFL Draft Class

Round 1, Pick 6 (6) Andre Smith OT 6'4" 332 Alabama
Pick Analysis:Marvin Lewis has stated that he wants to get back to running the football, and Smith gives the Bengals a dominating offensive tackle to run behind. Though he had a series of mishaps in the run up to the draft, there is no denying that Smith is one of the best tackle prospects in the draft.
Round 2, Pick 6 (38) Rey Maualuga ILB 6'2" 249 Southern Cal
Pick Analysis:After surprisingly dropping out of the first round, Maualuga lands with the Bengals at No. 38. The high-motor playmaker from USC gives Marvin Lewis a heavy hitter at middle linebacker. With last year's top pick (Keith Rivers) coming back from an injury, the Bengals have a pair of young and athletic linebackers to anchor the middle of the defense.
Round 3, Pick 6 (70) Michael Johnson DE 6'7" 266 Georgia Tech
Pick Analysis:The Bengals pick up an edge rusher with first-round talent with their selection of Johnson. A tall, rangy athlete with explosive quickness, Johnson has the ability to run down quarterbacks from the backside. Though he doesn't play with great effort at all times, he has the potential to be an impact player as a situational pass rusher.
Round 3, Pick 34 (98) (Compensatory selection) Chase Coffman TE 6'6" 244 Missouri
Pick Analysis:A foot injury prevented him from probably being drafted higher. He's an excellent receiving tight end, but he'll have to learn how to block. He has outstanding hands and will be one of those move-type tight ends. His father was an All-Pro tight end with the Packers. His coach at Missouri said Coffman is the one guy who will go to the NFL and be good right away.
Round 4, Pick 6 (106) Jonathan Luigs C 6'4" 301 Arkansas
Pick Analysis:Cincy needed a center and looked at all of them. The Bengals staff coached at the Senior Bowl and saw Luigs quite a bit. He was a four-year starter and the center of the year in 2007. Some people feel he tailed off. The question is, how is he going to handle the power nose tackles? He may have to hit the weights a bit to handle the Ravens and Steelers defenses.
Round 5, Pick 6 (142) Kevin Huber P 6'1" 220 Cincinnati
Pick Analysis:The first punter off the board is an outstanding weapon as a directional punter. Huber has the ability to flip the field with his booming punts, and he will emerge as a viable weapon in the kicking game.
Round 6, Pick 6 (179) Morgan Trent CB 6'1" 193 Michigan
Pick Analysis:Trent had a lot of starts in college and he runs pretty well. He's fast in workouts but does not play to his timed speed. He's not a good tackler. There have been questions about his backpedal and he struggles in route recognition, but his athleticism gives him a chance.
Round 6, Pick 36 (209) (Compensatory selection) Bernard Scott RB 5'10" 200 Abilene Christian
Pick Analysis:Scott is an ideal third-down back. He's the type of player you want to get out in space isolated on a linebacker after catching the ball. The Bengals can use him as a potential replacement for Kenny Watson. Many red flags, including his age (25), being kicked off two teams (one in high school, one in college) and several run-ins with police.
Round 7, Pick 6 (215) Fui Vakapuna RB 5'11" 244 BYU
Pick Analysis:Vakapuna is a big, strong running back. He does not have as much quickness or change-of-direction skill, but he's a situational running back that can be productive at the goal line. The Bengals locked in on Vakapuna at the BYU Pro Day and then followed through with the pick.
Round 7, Pick 40 (249) (Compensatory selection) Clinton McDonald DE 6'2" 289 Memphis
Pick Analysis:McDonald shot up draft boards and into draft consideration after an outstanding workout at Memphis' pro day. His athleticism gives Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer something to work with.
Round 7, Pick 43 (252) (Compensatory selection) Freddie Brown WR 6'3" 215 Utah
Pick Analysis:Brown lacks experience but has some upside going into Cincinnati with the unstable wide receiver situation there. He is a tall possession receiver who's not afraid to go over the middle. He can go up and get it, but he doesn't have top-flight speed. He really broke out and became the go-to guy in his senior season.

Roster positions grades and thoughts

Head Coach- Marvin Lewis C-... I've always liked him, but he needs to produce. An ideal candidate to do well on a 2nd HC opp

QB- Carson Palmer C+... Talent screams B, but threat of injury and leadership questions downgrade him some

RB- Cedric Benson, Brian Leonard D +... Some talent, yes, but a lil underwhelming just the same

WR- Chad Ochocinco, Laveranues Coles, Chris Henry, Andre Caldwell B... I'm thinking Ocho has a nice year, Coles plays solid and Henry and Caldwell both surprise.

TE- Daniel Coats, Chase Coffman D... Coffman could be a nice receiving TE

OL- Andre Smith Bobbie Williams, Andrew Whitworth F... One of the worst lines, if not the worst, in the league. Should be the downfall of their offense. The hold out by Andre Smith could hurt him, his line and his team if he is unable to get up to speed

DL- Robert Geathers, Antwan Odom, Tank Johnson, Domata Peko, Michael Johnson D
.. Don't like their D tackles and the edge rushers could be okay. Young Michael Johnson could grow into a star

LB- Keith Rivers, Rashad Jeanty, Dhani Jones, Rey Maualuga C+... Rivers is a nice LB and Maualuga has potential to be a really good one

CB- Leon Hall, Johnathan Joseph C+... They would be much better if the D had a better pash rush, Unit could be a B or B+ by the end of the year

S- Chris Crocker, Roy Williams, Chinedum Ndukwe C-... These guys could be serviceable but all don't offer too much. Roy Williams hasn't been what he was for awhile now

Special teams- Shayne Graham for kicking, Andre Caldwell and Quan Cosby for returns C... Decent kicker and return men that are gonna have plenty of chances

Schedule-

2 Fri, Aug 14 @ New Orleans L 7-17
3 Thu, Aug 20 @ New England W 7-6
4 Thu, Aug 27 St. Louis L 21-24
5 Thu, Sep 3 Indianapolis W 38-7

1 Sun, Sep 13 Denver
2 Sun, Sep 20 @ Green Bay
3 Sun, Sep 27 Pittsburgh
4 Sun, Oct 4 @ Cleveland
5 Sun, Oct 11 @ Baltimore
6 Sun, Oct 18 Houston
7 Sun, Oct 25 Chicago
8 BYE WEEK
9 Sun, Nov 8 Baltimore
10 Sun, Nov 15 @ Pittsburgh
11 Sun, Nov 22 @ Oakland
12 Sun, Nov 29 Cleveland
13 Sun, Dec 6 Detroit
14 Sun, Dec 13 @ Minnesota
15 Sun, Dec 20 @ San Diego
16 Sun, Dec 27 Kansas City
17 Sun, Jan 3 @ NY Jets

Odds
Reg Season Wins Over 7 -130
Reg Season Wins Under 7 +100
AFC North +800
AFC +3800
SB +8000

My Opinion- I haven't been watching that much Hard Knocks so others may like this team more than I. I think they have a shot to be decent, if Carson can lead that offense to many high scoring games. I think they will finish ahead of Cle but clearly behind Bal and Pit. Their defense leaves MUCH to be desired but could yield gems in Maualuga, Rivers and their corners Hall and Joseoph. However, this team is missing many pieces and will suffer as a result. Unless a miracle coaching job is done, I think a regime change is in order. Perhaps even dealing mercurial WR Ochocinco if he gets his value up this season. I wouldn't touch any future with Cincy and would leave their wins alone and not play either side. Better values elsewhere. I do not expect great things in the near future and their expectancy of greatness level is pretty low. For Cincy fans, it's gonna be Decent or Bust while the big boys battle it out for the division, conference and league championship but a good season would be one that has growth and maturity with their young players and Palmer staying healthy and showing he can and will be a very solid QB

Cincy's EOG- 4

Okay, let me know what you think of the Bengals this year... Thank you!

Re: Talkin' Football on EOG Cincinnati Bengals

"Who dey! Who dey! Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengals?"

NOOOOOOOBODYYYYYYYYYY

thegreatdiatchi

EOG Addicted

I see the Bengals defense becoming strong this year and that should put them in the same record range as the Ravens. I will give these guys a 7-9 or 8-8 record (I like the Ravens chances just a little better). I think Marvin & the GM get the ax at the end of the season. Honestly, I think the GM is more to blame than Marvin here but like most coaches, no wins = no jobs.

Also, Integrity please see below:

Off-season Key additions and subtractions

Key Additions
OT Andre Smith
TE Chase Coffman
QB J.T. O'Sullivan
WR Laveranues Coles
LB Rey Maualuga

S Roy Williams
DT Tank Johnson
Key Losses
WR Glenn Holt
OT Levi Jones
S Mike Doss
QB Ryan Fitzpatrick
OT Stacy Andrews
WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh

In the future you might want to put a carriage return between the last team addition and the words "Key Losses". Perhaps the only bad thing about your team previews is that this section is hard to read from a first glance.

thegreatdiatchi

EOG Addicted

Also, Integrity. You need to pick up the slack. :+textinb3 The season is starting and I think at least 50% of the teams still need to be previewed. (I could be wrong on the exact number).

Hehe, honestly though you are doing a great job.

Integrity

EOG Master

haha sorry about that...

but... i have done all of the teams except for the afc west...

one poster actually archived these and i will see about getting that released...

but yeah, all i need is the afc west and we are good to go

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

i like what the bengals have done this offseason.i think they'll improve quite a bit.i could see them going 8-8 maybe even 9-7.they will better.as far as the cleveland browns go they'll be cellar dwellars in the north.

10-11-09:

All five of Cincinnati's games this season have been decided by seven points or fewer. It appeared as if the Bengals (4-1) were destined to come out on the short end of this one until Palmer masterfully directed the final drive ? with the help of three yellow flags.

Integrity

EOG Master

I had Cincy and the Points yesterday...

This team sure is showing me something. Definitely exceeding my expectations...

mofome

Banned

most improved team ive seen in a long time. exact opposite of the titans.

Integrity

EOG Master

yeah, i went a lil too low on the expectancy of greatness...

shoulda gave them a 6 for potential

watch cincy win the division :LMAO