The 2020 MLB season

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Not a 162-game marathon.

Instead, a 60-game sprint.

Last season's World Series champion Washington Nationals were 27-33 after 60 games.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Baseball with no fans.

Hmmm...

Here's a quick thought on in-game wagering in this unique 2020 MLB season.

A hypothetical situation:

Team A takes an early lead on Team B.

Not 1-0 or 2-1, but 6-0 or 7-1.

A dominating lead in the second or third inning.

Bet the in-game total UNDER.

Why?

Without fans in the stands, the game will have no atmosphere and players may be less likely to work the count or grind an at-bat.

Players/coaches/managers/umpires may accelerate the pace of play in a contest that feels more like a scrimmage or exhibition than a big-league ballgame.

Take a look at the crowdless "Freddie Gray Game" in Baltimore in 2015.

The Orioles beat the White Sox, 8-2, after hitting the South Siders with a 6-spot in the first inning.

Historians will note the most interesting number in the April 29 box score: 0, the official attendance at Camden Yards.

But here's the most important number from the April 29 box score for dedicated gamblers looking for an edge: A game in which 10 runs were scored lasted only 2 hours and 3 minutes.

Last edited:

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
60 games makes for so much bullshit. Halfway through the teams with no shot might really pack it in and the teams with a shot will have starting pitchers come in for relief.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
True. What happens to your future ticket if half of your roster gets covid? What happens to games? Do they just forfeit? I dont know man.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
As long as one of the ESPN networks continues to carry the KBO, I won't watch a single game this season. Going to feel weird not releasing any first half plays this time around.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
As long as one of the ESPN networks continues to carry the KBO, I won't watch a single game this season. Going to feel weird not releasing any first half plays this time around.

For me I will have my eyes tuned to the single best playoffs of any sport out there - for which there is no debating this at all........................Hockey and the Stanley Cup Playoffs

I know my Kings - and all of CA and AZ - aren't in it but this year's playoffs should be amazing. There will be a lot of upsets in early rounds and even later on. This years SCP might be one of the very best ever and one that will make non-fans into casual to hardcore ones

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated
Arizona Diamondbacks 31.5 (-115o/-115u)
Atlanta Braves 33.5 (-115o/-115u)
Baltimore Orioles 21.5 (-115o/-115u)
Boston Red Sox 31.5 (-115o/-115u)
Chicago Cubs 31.5 (-130o/+100u)
Chicago White Sox 31.5 (-110o/-120u)
Cincinnati Reds 31.5 (-115o/-115u)
Cleveland Indians 32.5 (-115o/-115u)
Colorado Rockies 27.5 (-110o/-120u)
Detroit Tigers 21.5 (-115o/-115u)
Houston Astros 35.5 (-115o/-115u)
Kansas City Royals 24.5 (-115o/-115u)
Los Angeles Angels 31.5 (-125o/-105u)
Los Angeles Dodgers 38.5 (-115o/-115u)
Miami Marlins 24.5 (-115o/-115u)
Milwaukee Brewers 31.5 (-115o/-115u)
Minnesota Twins 34.5 (-105o/-125u)
New York Mets 32.5 (-120o/-110u)
New York Yankees 38.5 (-115o/-115u)
Oakland Athletics 33.5 (-120o/-110u)
Philadelphia Phillies 31.5 (-115o/-115u)
Pittsburgh Pirates 25.5 (-115o/-115u)
San Diego Padres 31.5 (-115o/-115u)
San Francisco Giants 25.5 (-115o/-115u)
Seattle Mariners 25.5 (-115o/-115u)
St. Louis Cardinals 32.5 (-115o/-115u)
Tampa Bay Rays 33.5 (-115o/-115u)
Texas Rangers 29.5 (-115o/-115u)
Toronto Blue Jays 28.5 (-115o/-115u)
Washington Nationals 33.5 (-115o/-115u)

kane

EOG master
To me it's near impossible to bet on win totals, this has never happened before, no way to know what to expect in a 60 game season. You take the over 33.5 on the Nats, then Scherzer and Soto catch the virus and you're pretty much fucked

MrTop

EOG Master
To me it's near impossible to bet on win totals, this has never happened before, no way to know what to expect in a 60 game season. You take the over 33.5 on the Nats, then Scherzer and Soto catch the virus and you're pretty much fucked

does not look good to start or finish.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
One team that may have fans could be the Cubs. They will be outside the park on the rooftops. It's not like the Cubs will be out money, they bought a lot of those rooftops.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I would only bet unders with good teams and overs with the dregs, and hope. There is always the possibility of the virus wiping out half of the team also.

kane

EOG master
I would only bet unders with good teams and overs with the dregs, and hope. There is always the possibility of the virus wiping out half of the team also.

Unders would be the only way to go, hope that team gets off to a slow start or gets hit by the virus. Personally I don't see them completing the season, hoping I'm wrong

kane

EOG master
One other thing to keep in mind, these games will be played during the hottest months, so maybe that gives Overs a slight advantage. Also, starters won't be pitching deep into games since they need to get stretched out, meaning teams with better bullpens could have an advantage. If you're betting DeGrom, by the end of June he's pitching deep into games, but now he's more likely to only go 5 or 6 innings. Of course there isn't anything any of us could think of that the books won't either, but assuming they get through the season, it requires some out of the box thinking

MrTop

EOG Master
there really isn't any season for any league...it is an agreement between cable companies & leagues to get you to keep paying extra $ for internet with no sports...

sad

Valuist

EOG Master
One other thing to keep in mind, these games will be played during the hottest months, so maybe that gives Overs a slight advantage. Also, starters won't be pitching deep into games since they need to get stretched out, meaning teams with better bullpens could have an advantage. If you're betting DeGrom, by the end of June he's pitching deep into games, but now he's more likely to only go 5 or 6 innings. Of course there isn't anything any of us could think of that the books won't either, but assuming they get through the season, it requires some out of the box thinking

The April and May weather keeps stats suppressed for a number of teams. Wrigley plays like AT &T (or Oracle) the first 2 months but in the heat its more like a hybrid of Coors/Texas.

Valuist

EOG Master
True. What happens to your future ticket if half of your roster gets covid? What happens to games? Do they just forfeit? I dont know man.

Just say no to the futures bets for any sports this year. I'm still holding NBA season win totals both offshore and land based that should be cancelled, but they won't grade them until the league starts play up again.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Just say no to the futures bets for any sports this year. I'm still holding NBA season win totals both offshore and land based that should be cancelled, but they won't grade them until the league starts play up again.

I have a futures on Vegas to win the West in the NHL and that is still valid and will be graded if they finish the season. My Dodgers +200 to win the NL will be refunded...as was my Astros Ov80.5 HBP this season

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Touché.

No more touching up any posts.

I can't help myself with thread titles, however.

Especially Birdie's.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
the extra innings idea of starting with a runner on 2nd base is going to help under bettors.

or maybe it won't.

I'm not sure yet.

Is it a runner on 2nd with one out or no outs?

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
60 games makes for so much bullshit. Halfway through the teams with no shot might really pack it in and the teams with a shot will have starting pitchers come in for relief.

Except it will be harder to get out of contention by a lot of games unless the team is terrible.

skinny

EOG Addicted
Baseball with no fans.

Hmmm...

Why?

Without fans in the stands, the game will have no atmosphere and players may be less likely to work the count or grind an at-bat.

Players/coaches/managers/umpires may accelerate the pace of play in a contest that feels more like a scrimmage or exhibition than a big-league ballgame.

The Orioles beat the White Sox, 8-2, after hitting the South Siders with a 6-spot in the first inning.

Historians will note the most interesting number in the April 29 box score: 0, the official attendance at Camden Yards.

But here's the most important number from the April 29 box score for dedicated gamblers looking for an edge: A game in which 10 runs were scored lasted only 2 hours and 3 minutes.
This is a strong angle with fans, without even better.

Valuist

EOG Master
Baseball with no fans.

Hmmm...

Why?

I played only up through HS and Legion ball. I would NEVER give away an at bat. No matter how lobsided the score. That was Pete Rose's philosophy. I thought it made sense, and I guarantee you MLB hitters feel that way. They get judged on end of season numbers. The stats used to judge may have changed, but the importance of stats hasn't.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Very little grinding anymore with players swinging from the heels.

I see a lot of games nowadays where a non-competitive game turns into Home Run Derby.