The Black and Yellow decline

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
11/11 to start, potentially 1-6 over the last 2 months.

Injuries? Of course. Lack of running game? Indubitably. Age? Just call him Big Ben Rockjngchairberger. Lack of interest? Tomlin will mask the obvious, blaming COVID-19.

Maxie needs to mock Steven A. Karma for mocking the Cowboys. Where's your 10 gallon hat now?

Last edited by a moderator:

Valuist

EOG Master
I would say the decline started right after week 6, when they crushed the Browns 38-7. They won the next week, but were life and death to beat a struggling Dallas team 24-19, with someone named Gilbert playing QB for Dallas. The next week they beat Baltimore 28-24 despite being doubled up in yardage. On the ground, they were outgained 265-48. They did manage to crush 2 of the 3 worst teams the next two weeks, in Cincinnati and Jacksonville, but not much of an accomplishment.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I would say the decline started right after week 6, when they crushed the Browns 38-7. They won the next week, but were life and death to beat a struggling Dallas team 24-19, with someone named Gilbert playing QB for Dallas. The next week they beat Baltimore 28-24 despite being doubled up in yardage. On the ground, they were outgained 265-48. They did manage to crush 2 of the 3 worst teams the next two weeks, in Cincinnati and Jacksonville, but not much of an accomplishment.

And using hindsight, Pittsburgh's 28-24 win over Indy in Week 16 was a great escape.

The Colts led that game, 24-7, in the late stages of the third quarter.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Mike Tomlin punted away the best chance for the Steelers to rally from behind in the fourth quarter.

Situation: Steelers ball, 4th and 1 at the Pittsburgh 46-yard line, in a high-scoring shootout.

Tomlin called for Pittsburgh to punt while trailing by 12 points (35-23).

Tomlin claimed he wanted to play field position and pin down the Browns deep in their own end.

Instead, punter Jordan Berry punted the ball 59 yards for a touchback.

Tsk tsk.

Six plays and 80 yards later, the Browns led 42-23.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
There were enough mistakes to pass around.
The bad center snap to start the game.

Do you blame Ben when his pass bounces off a receiver and gets intercepted?

There were at least two balls batted at the line of scrimmage. Ben was certainly trying to get rid of the ball fast. No time to make sure of a throwing lane?

Mike Tomlin punted away the best chance for the Steelers to rally from behind in the fourth quarter.

Situation: Steelers ball, 4th and 1 at the Pittsburgh 46-yard line, in a high-scoring shootout.

Tomlin called for Pittsburgh to punt while trailing by 12 points (35-23).

Tomlin claimed he wanted to play field position and pin down the Browns deep in their own end.

Instead, punter Jordan Berry punted the ball 59 yards for a touchback.

Tsk tsk.

Six plays and 80 yards later, the Browns led 42-23.

Tomlin punting at almost any point seemed lost. And how about the 2pt decisions? They missed on one in the 2nd half and then the next TD they score and he kicks to get it to 12 instead of 11? He just reaffirmed what I thought of him, a great motivator and leader, but a very mediocre strategy and X's and O's coach.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
JIMMY and I have gone back and forth on the thread title.

I wanted to change his "The Black and Yellow Decline" to "The Black and Gold Decline."

I always knew the Steelers as "Black and Gold" but Jimmy wants to describe them as "Black and Yellow."

Okay.

Interestingly, the Pirates and Penguins also feature black and gold as their primary colors.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
JIMMY and I have gone back and forth on the thread title.

I wanted to change his "The Black and Yellow Decline" to "The Black and Gold Decline."

I always knew the Steelers as "Black and Gold" but Jimmy wants to describe them as "Black and Yellow."

Okay.

Interestingly, the Pirates and Penguins also feature black and gold as their primary colors.
Shame on JK for not knowing the song that is represented by the classic Super Bowl glory years . "Black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow" by Wiz Khalifa.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
There must be a rest of the story to interceptions thrown by Ben. The passes were 1,2 and bang to a seam in the zone.

Makes sense that some of these fast balls were hard to catch or got batted