The enduring saga of Edwin Encarnacion

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member
indians turning it around lately. 5 game winning streak but no help whatsoever from their overpaid and overrated DH edwin encarnacion. he's 0-17 during this winning streak and is currently enjoying a 2-31 stretch. they say april isn't his month but actually only has 1 good month each season. sure, he blasts a few more homers than most but the hits, extra base hits and average are far below what a 20m DH should be attaining. encarnacion in an interview stating " i can't wait for flag day. that's when i usually start turning things around". we"ll see.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Re: The enduring saga of Edwin Encarnacion

If I were an opposing pitcher, I would not appreciate the "Edwing" after Encarnacion goes yard.

howid

EOG Dedicated

do that to bob gibson and the next pitch...

kane

EOG master

John, I'm sure you remember Jeffrey Leonard and his one flap down, I can't imagine opposing pitchers enjoyed the sight of him circling the bases that way either

kane

EOG master

do that to bob gibson and the next pitch...

Way before my time, but I've heard stories that Gibby would plunk a guy just for stepping out of the box on him

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member

every time edwin steps into the batters box to underperform he is paid 25k. that generally works out to be 100k a game. about 650k a week. he's been on waivers since last may but not a nibble or even an inquiry from any team. he got his hr's last year but the 20 doubles in 30 weeks of batting says it all.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Way before my time, but I've heard stories that Gibby would plunk a guy just for stepping out of the box on him

One of the greatest pitchers ever and what a competitor....Few realize he also played for the Harlem Globetrotters....I am old enough to have seen him pitch in person....

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

In all fairness to Edwin it really doesn't matter all that much what he does April-September. It matters what he does in October

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member

In all fairness to Edwin it really doesn't matter all that much what he does April-September. It matters what he does in October

you need production from him to get to october which he rarely provides. 80% of those 30 odd homers he hits do not influence the outcome of that many games. he does absolutely nothing else but take up space and salary. cannot possibly play the field and sits in dugout rarely making a contribution or helping a younger player. he stays to himself which he can do if he wants to. he's been on waivers since last may leading me to believe the club realizes they made a mistake bringing him in. francona wants to bat him 8th but that would look bad so it's going to be him failing night after night batting 5th.

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member

indians with nice win down in PR tonite. edwin however 0-4 w 3 lob. now 1-25 lately .040. all kidding aside he is becoming a major thorn sitting in that 5th spot in the batting order. francona has to move him down in the order or better still just designate him for assignment now rather than later this season.

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member

month of april stats in on the feared slugger edwin encarnacion. francona had to suffer through watching 100 at bats in which edwin managed 16 hits, 1 double and yes those 6 hr's of which only 1 figured in a indian's win. the other 5 were in routs or losses. as poor a hitter as this guy is and always has been even he has to have a better may than april. another month like this and the designate for assignment chants will be louder.

King Felix

EOG Veteran

Didn't this guy rip Encarnacion all last year only for him to finish with an OPS near 900? Didn't he start slow last year?

As poor as a hitter as this guy has always been? He has a career OPS of .850 lol. his 162 game career average is 34 HR's and 101 RBI's. I wonder what Edwin did to this guy to have him obsessed with him like this.

Edwin was horrible last April too; I'd bet on a serious bounce back.

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member

Didn't this guy rip Encarnacion all last year only for him to finish with an OPS near 900? Didn't he start slow last year?

As poor as a hitter as this guy has always been? He has a career OPS of .850 lol. his 162 game career average is 34 HR's and 101 RBI's. I wonder what Edwin did to this guy to have him obsessed with him like this.

Edwin was horrible last April too; I'd bet on a serious bounce back.

he hits his homers mostly in situations that don't matter. check his lifetime stats just once. never more than 160 hits in a season. doubles? lucky to average 25 a year. batting average also sub par for season after season. he does not produce in the clutch and will not attempt to stretch long singles into doubles during his whole career. older now and slow. cannot possibly play in the field in interleague road games so he has to sit or pinch hit. 60 million for this stiff who has been on waivers since last may but of course no team in their right mind would claim him. pablo sandoval is having a better year so far. sure he'll bounce back and get his 30 hr's but i'd want a DH who can hit .300 with 40 doubles and less hr's. for 20m a season the club could have easily found that guy.

King Felix

EOG Veteran

he hits his homers mostly in situations that don't matter. check his lifetime stats just once. never more than 160 hits in a season. doubles? lucky to average 25 a year. batting average also sub par for season after season. he does not produce in the clutch and will not attempt to stretch long singles into doubles during his whole career. older now and slow. cannot possibly play in the field in interleague road games so he has to sit or pinch hit. 60 million for this stiff who has been on waivers since last may but of course no team in their right mind would claim him. pablo sandoval is having a better year so far. sure he'll bounce back and get his 30 hr's but i'd want a DH who can hit .300 with 40 doubles and less hr's. for 20m a season the club could have easily found that guy.

Uh every single player in baseball goes on waivers.

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member

and the strikeouts. alarming amount the last 2 seasons and this year on a pace for 190. of course that will cut down on the amount of double plays he hits into but his lack of contact this year is frightful.

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member

Uh every single player in baseball goes on waivers.

very true but it only took a month into that 3 year contract before the indian's realized their drastic mistake in signing him. they're stuck. can't afford to release him and have to pay him. no NL team would even consider taking him and no AL team would want this albatross even if cleveland covered half the salary.

Valuist

EOG Master

It's becoming more clear that EE doesn't care for the cold weather of April. Since 2014, he's .203 BA/.365 SP/ .648 OPS in April. 82 degrees in Cleveland today: he hits 3 HRs and drives in 6.

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member

he did and looks like this will be his good month. when he heats up those hr's come in bunches. hr's and k's are what you get with him going forward. his first today expanded a 1 run lead. the other two were meaningless. not his fault but i want to see a 2 run double when they are tied or behind just once this month. not expecting it as he must have completely lost his speed on the base paths. has an impressive launch angle and really likes warm weather. i'll review his may on june 1.

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member
Unusualsusp5 takes the L in this thread
wait and see. he will flop in NY. with judge and stanton coming back not sure why they obtained him. they know he is a liability. the whole league knows. everyone hitting hr's so what's the need for a hr or nothing guy. he has been overachieving even for him this season but that will change.

MrTop

EOG Master
wait and see. he will flop in NY. with judge and stanton coming back not sure why they obtained him. they know he is a liability. the whole league knows. everyone hitting hr's so what's the need for a hr or nothing guy. he has been overachieving even for him this season but that will change.

he will play when judge and stanton or the 1b take a day off. He won't start. PH in playoffs.

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member
guy was never a bench player and won't adjust to becoming one. i just wish everyone would just look past the hr's, which are more than just respectable but he fails in every other batting category that there is. his rbi totals are decent but just a fortunate circumstance that there are men on base when he launches one. never had more than 160 hits in a season. never hit above .290. his doubles totals are embarassingly low. strikeouts through the roof his entire career. has never helped a younger player. always sits by himself in the dugout. draws a few walks but can't run the bases. liability in field if they ever dare put him out there. should have been sold to the mexican league. cannot wait till he is no longer employed by any team. more than likely this is his last year. been in the league 16 years and needs an interpreter to communicate with the press or anyone else that speaks english. what a retard, rich one but a retard nonetheless.

Last edited:

kane

EOG master
He doesn't speak English, so that makes him a retard? LMAO.. Maybe he doesn't hit for a high average, maybe he doesn't hit a lot of doubles, and maybe he K's too much, but what he does do is hit HR's and drive in runs better than just about anyone, he leads all of baseball in both of those categories since 2010. The Yankees gave up very little to get him and his acquisition does two things, first he's insurance in case Judge, Stanton, or someone else gets hurt, and second it guarantees he won't be going to another contender at the trade deadline. Your takes on EE are sophomoric and moronic, just take the L and move on

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member
He doesn't speak English, so that makes him a retard? LMAO.. Maybe he doesn't hit for a high average, maybe he doesn't hit a lot of doubles, and maybe he K's too much, but what he does do is hit HR's and drive in runs better than just about anyone, he leads all of baseball in both of those categories since 2010. The Yankees gave up very little to get him and his acquisition does two things, first he's insurance in case Judge, Stanton, or someone else gets hurt, and second it guarantees he won't be going to another contender at the trade deadline. Your takes on EE are sophomoric and moronic, just take the L and move on
no other contender would want him. and he would have a ton more rbi's if he could get a hit inside the ball park more often. there are no maybes. he never hits for average, doubles and whiffs too much. those are facts. and sorry you would think that after 16 years he could manage without an interpreter. that shows laziness or stupidity maybe not retardation. i will not lt let up until he is no longer qualified to get the 75% to get into the hall of fame which he doesn't belong in and couldn't give a speech if he did. poor terry francona. he suffered for two years with his non-production. almost cost him his job. desperately wanted to bat him 8th but relented on that. ortiz wanted boston to sign him to replace him but boston said no thanks. when he was available after toronto dumped him he was waiting for a phone call from boston or new york. never happened. it was shocking that cleveland gave him 20m for 3 but the front office did handstands when they got seattle to take him off their hands. this is his history. not sure what happened in cincinnati when he was younger but someone may know the reason they canned him.

Last edited:

kane

EOG master
no other contender would want him. and he would have a ton more rbi's if he could get a hit inside the ball park more often. there are no maybes. he never hits for average, doubles and whiffs too much. those are facts. and sorry you would think that after 16 years he could manage without an interpreter. that shows laziness or stupidity maybe not retardation. i will not lt let up until he is no longer qualified to get the 75% to get into the hall of fame which he doesn't belong in and couldn't give a speech if he did. poor terry francona. he suffered for two years with his non-production. almost cost him his job. desperately wanted to bat him 8th but relented on that. ortiz wanted boston to sign him to replace him but boston said no thanks. when he was available after toronto dumped him he was waiting for a phone call from boston or new york. never happened. it was shocking that cleveland gave him 20m for 3 but the front office did handstands when they got seattle to take him off their hands. this is his history. not sure what happened in cincinnati when he was younger but someone may know the reason they canned him.

The Reds didn't "can" him, they were looking for a veteran so they traded a young Encarnacion to Toronto for Scott Rolen, the trade worked out well for both teams. And I'll say it again, since 2010 he leads all of baseball in HR's and RBI, your takes make you look foolish and dumb, just stop already

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member
ok. you know your stuff, i'll give you that. but you must know that hr's and sb are the two most overrated stats in baseball. yes, he leads from that time period 2010 to now. but others retired maybe 4 or 5 years ago or others didn't start until 4 or 5 years ago so their 10 year totals are skewered since you want to put it that specific time period. a more accurate assertion would be that he never led the league in hr's and only once he did in rbi's. toronto a well known homer haven and was out homered by bautista many times.

MrTop

EOG Master

his lifetime whiff rate is 17% .. For a homerun hitter ( 401 lifetime ) that is very low. Right now he is probably insurance if one of the two big guys goes down. Could see some time at first since voit no bargain in the field either. No shot of starting at DH over the two big guys.

kane

EOG master
He has a career BA of .263 and a career OPS of .851, he has 400 career HR's and 1,200 career RBI, he finished in the top 20 of MVP voting 5 times and made 3 all star teams. I'm not saying the guy is headed for Cooperstown, but you talk about him like he's garbage and doesn't belong in the majors, which is nonsense. When his career is over his numbers will be pretty damn good, he doesn't have to apologize to anyone for the career he's had.

MrTop

EOG Master
of course he is good. No question. The problem is he is on the yankees with 2 of the best HR hitters in MLB. Right now I don't see him starting unless they put him at DH with the 2 big guys in the field. However depends on matchups could play 1st. The yankees voit not good at first either.

kane

EOG master
of course he is good. No question. The problem is he is on the yankees with 2 of the best HR hitters in MLB. Right now I don't see him starting unless they put him at DH with the 2 big guys in the field. However depends on matchups could play 1st. The yankees voit not good at first either.

Topper, the Yankees got him for two reasons. First, he's insurance if one of their sluggers get injured, it's nice to know you've got a power bat on the bench just in case. Second, it prevents another team from acquiring him at the trade deadline, it was a shrewd move by Cashman

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member
ok. everyone agrees that he hits hr's and occasionally there are men on base when he does. whether they're in situations where it wins games consistently for his team is up for debate. he's mastered that launch angle swing quite well in home run friendly stadiums the last 10 years granted. doubtful that he will be resigned by anyone next year. also he will not like being a back up dh and pinch hitter for this club. this 0-7 start doesn't bode well for playing time when judge gets back next week. play first base? not likely.

MrTop

EOG Master
Topper, the Yankees got him for two reasons. First, he's insurance if one of their sluggers get injured, it's nice to know you've got a power bat on the bench just in case. Second, it prevents another team from acquiring him at the trade deadline, it was a shrewd move by Cashman

100% agree. Big men do spend time on the DL.

MrTop

EOG Master
ok. everyone agrees that he hits hr's and occasionally there are men on base when he does. whether they're in situations where it wins games consistently for his team is up for debate. he's mastered that launch angle swing quite well in home run friendly stadiums the last 10 years granted. doubtful that he will be resigned by anyone next year. also he will not like being a back up dh and pinch hitter for this club. this 0-7 start doesn't bode well for playing time when judge gets back next week. play first base? not likely.

I think he will sub in playoffs. Hard to throw a LHP vs yanks in playoffs.

TobyTyler

EOG Dedicated
I wonder what MLs will be in Houston series if Judge is back. Lefty Framber Valdez slated for game one start. Looks like decent stuff lately but two pitch pitcher he is going to have a problem vs that lineup.

kane

EOG master

Too bad you didn't wait until his 8th at bat to post, he went oppo for his AL leading 22nd Homer, just stop already

unusualsusp5

EOG Senior Member
Too bad you didn't wait until his 8th at bat to post, he went oppo for his AL leading 22nd Homer, just stop already
relax. drove in a run today in a 12-1 game. he's hitting .167, hr, 2 rbi's so far. par for him. getting back to your last 10 year thing. verified that he has more 0-4 games than any other player in both leagues last 10 years.