The EOG Octagon (RAILBIRD v John Kelly)

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Can we ask computer bob to give his opinion what the current line would be?

I'll give a "nominal" bracket of odds to give an idea . Currently JK 10-8 vs Rail 1-6.

Assume JK with a 52% win probability and Railbird a 56% win probability (assume tie % for each game is zero) going forward. Roughly a -310 breakeven contest ML in favor of JK, about a 10% chance of a contest tie.

Now, if we close the win % gap, assume JK with a 53% win probability and Railbird a 55% win probability going forward. Roughly a -400 breakeven contest ML in favor of JK.

railbird

EOG Master
I'll give a "nominal" bracket of odds to give an idea . Currently JK 10-8 vs Rail 1-6.

Assume JK with a 52% win probability and Railbird a 56% win probability (assume tie % for each game is zero) going forward. Roughly a -310 breakeven contest ML in favor of JK, about a 10% chance of a contest tie.

Now, if we close the win % gap, assume JK with a 53% win probability and Railbird a 55% win probability going forward. Roughly a -400 breakeven contest ML in favor of JK.
what would a 59 for railbird and 49 for jk translate too?

THE FACTSMAN

EOG Addicted
i would have given you +250 yesterday

so using a dime line...........and your estimation of winning 59% and jk 49%

i'll give you +140 if you think you can win

i'll actually lay -150 but now its $3000 my risk to your $2000

this is good 7 pm est Friday

but you dont want any part of it
and i cant blame you.

I am just trying to take advantage of your ego.
hoping you might bite.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
I remember JK's run when The Shrink was still here.

It was a run I will always remember here.

I don't know if CB has the record from the Winning Wednesdays thread.

This is right about the same time of year that JK had to win about 20-30 units.

For those that don't remember or weren't here, JK did a "Winning Wednesday" Internet broadcast show. The show ran from Sept. 9, 2009 to July 6, 2011, JK usually made one pick a week (all to win 1 unit) , going 63-35-3, 64.3%, +25.44u. Amazingly, on the show, The Shrink hit 59.3% on his picks before his last show on April 7, 2010.

sharky99

EOG Dedicated
I remember that... good times and great records by both of them, JK's talents are sorely missed in some kind of media content

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
JK wins contest about 53% of the time, 12% contest tie, 35% Rail.

Breakeven ML around JK -150.

One subtle point: RAIL is likely to win all ties in this competition considering his slow start and the tiebreaking procedure (Last 5, Last 10, Last 15, etc.).

The trailing contestant will win a lion's share of the ties.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The difference in hitting 53% and 52% is the difference between winning and losing long term.

Sports betting is a game of small edges.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Only two Saturday cards left in February.

I'll likely have three or four plays going in the contest tomorrow.

Hope to post the selections later tonight.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
One subtle point: RAIL is likely to win all ties in this competition considering his slow start and the tiebreaking procedure (Last 5, Last 10, Last 15, etc.).

The trailing contestant will win a lion's share of the ties.

This is a good point.

I estimate Rail would win about 60% of ties that go the Last 5 vs JK's 15% with 25% going to the Last 10 tiebreaker. Overall this would give Rail around an extra 7.5% to JK's 2.5% of tiebreakers.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
RAIL would obviously be a bigger favorite in the Last 15 than the Last 10 than the Last Five, given the current standings.

RAIL only 60% over the last five?

Feels low from where we currently stand.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I've got him as a virtual cinch to win a tiebreaker over the Last 15, given the current standings.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Play #21: 750 Cal-Irvine -6.5 (-110) at William Hill (EDIT: Play was canceled due to Railbird's earlier selection of 749 UCSB +6.5)

Play #22: 766 Hawaii -10.5 (-110) at Westgate

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
To recap my four Saturday selections:

Play #19: 743 Pacific +1 -110 at William Hill

Play #20: 692 San Jose State +12 (-110) at William Hill

Play #21: 672 Air Force +9.5 (-110) at William Hill

Play #22: Play #22: 766 Hawaii -10.5 (-110) at Westgate

ouch

EOG Dedicated

Permit me to translate. This is called "sarcasm." Rather than get into what a moronic statement it is to say that you never make a play on a team that flies on planes, or rather than say that this is one of a series of statements that is used to say "look at me" and to generate site traffic by being outrageous, a simple "Yeah" seems to cover all of it in its entirety.

ouch

EOG Dedicated
And one more thing:

Rather than constantly analyzing the odds of probabilities of who needs what to win and what the odds are on each contestant, try a little old school strategy and concentrate on winning the next play you make. Nothing more....nothing less. The rest is just hot air, and sounds like the equivalent of women sitting around in a beauty salon on a Saturday morning.

Almost Alright seemed to use this strategy to maximum effectiveness last month.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
Permit me to translate. This is called "sarcasm." Rather than get into what a moronic statement it is to say that you never make a play on a team that flies on planes, or rather than say that this is one of a series of statements that is used to say "look at me" and to generate site traffic by being outrageous, a simple "Yeah" seems to cover all of it in its entirety.

That would be fine except this clown posts "yeah" to everyome's posts across this board. I can site a bunch of examples. My point is, what the fuck is the purpose? I mean, if it gets this moron through the day, then, by all means.