The EOG Octagon (SKINNY v RAILBIRD)

KevinStott11

EOG Veteran
A baseball bat was a magical wand for Rod Carew.

I loved how Ichiro Suzuki attacked the ball and ran out of the box.
Pete Rose is an underrated hitter.

Ted Williams literally wrote the book on hitting.
Babe Ruth was a banged up slob but the best player in the history of MLB..
Plus, he wore a cabbage leaf on his head when hot and would sneak a beer in a Comiskey Park if he wasn't batting.

Pitchers and hitters and the chemicals and drugs and training and eating and dedication make the modern MLBer look like he should dwarf Carew, Ruth, Old Man Ichiro and Williams. But Smartphones, Ego, Social Media, Hype and lack of elite parents will give us hyped up wanna-be stars that strike out way too much. A good baseball player doesn't make an Out in his AB. and knows how to play Defense and his spot(s) in the Field. Bettors know that.

Rod Carew and Ichiro were my favorites to watch hit. The Beastie Boys paid homage to him in one of their lyrics. They know Rod Carew is Art. Rod Carew could get a hit with a No. 2 pencil.

Ernie Banks is my favorite player ever followed by Ichiro and Don Sutton. Javier Báez my favorite now although he is a strange bird.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
A baseball bat was a magical wand for Rod Carew.

I loved how Ichiro Suzuki attacked the ball and ran out of the box.
Pete Rose is an underrated hitter.

Ted Williams literally wrote the book on hitting.
Babe Ruth was a banged up slob but the best player in the history of MLB..
Plus, he wore a cabbage leaf on his head when hot and would sneak a beer in a Comiskey Park if he wasn't batting.

Pitchers and hitters and the chemicals and drugs and training and eating and dedication make the modern MLBer look like he should dwarf Carew, Ruth, Old Man Ichiro and Williams. But Smartphones, Ego, Social Media, Hype and lack of elite parents will give us hyped up wanna-be stars that strike out way too much. A good baseball player doesn't make an Out in his AB. and knows how to play Defense and his spot(s) in the Field. Bettors know that.

Rod Carew and Ichiro were my favorites to watch hit. The Beastie Boys paid homage to him in one of their lyrics. They know Rod Carew is Art. Rod Carew could get a hit with a No. 2 pencil.

Ernie Banks is my favorite player ever followed by Ichiro and Don Sutton. Javier Báez my favorite now although he is a strange bird.

Kevin's eclectic taste on full display here.

Where's Bill Madlock on the list?

Or for that matter, Glenn Beckert?

As a 10-year-old Little Leaguer, I liked to imitate Beckert's batting stance.

KevinStott11

EOG Veteran
Kevin's eclectic taste on full display here.

Where's Bill Madlock on the list?

Or for that matter, Glenn Beckert?

As a 10-year-old Little Leaguer, I liked to imitate Beckert's batting stance.
Bill Madlock swung like he was in a fist fight while Glenn Beckert batted like he was swatting mosquitoes.
Hitting the ball is one thing, while looking wonderful doing so is another.
Carew was like Picasso and Ted Williams was like a sage fisherman casting his pole, knowing he'd catch something.

But Pitchers were simpler back then JK.
I would like to see Carew, Williams, Ichiro, Ruth, Rose, et. al in their prime against Randy Johnson like John "Another Great Banged Up Slob" Kruk in that All-Star Game.

Rod Carew and Williams could hit anyone and around age 45 I realized batting Left-Handed is a huge advantage (sight-distance) for Hitters. Who is the best pure Right-handed Hitter of All-Time may be the ultimate question. These twats these days take such long-ass swings and whiff too often. Babe Ruth and Carew spent 0 hours on The Twitter and cared little what others thought. Carew was Pananamanian I believe.

MrTop

EOG Master
Bill Madlock swung like he was in a fist fight while Glenn Beckert batted like he was swatting mosquitoes.
Hitting the ball is one thing, while looking wonderful doing so is another.
Carew was like Picasso and Ted Williams was like a sage fisherman casting his pole, knowing he'd catch something.

But Pitchers were simpler back then JK.
I would like to see Carew, Williams, Ichiro, Ruth, Rose, et. al in their prime against Randy Johnson like John "Another Great Banged Up Slob" Kruk in that All-Star Game.

Rod Carew and Williams could hit anyone and around age 45 I realized batting Left-Handed is a huge advantage (sight-distance) for Hitters. Who is the best pure Right-handed Hitter of All-Time may be the ultimate question. These twats these days take such long-ass swings and whiff too often. Babe Ruth and Carew spent 0 hours on The Twitter and cared little what others thought. Carew was Pananamanian I believe.

Puckett had highest right handed batter BA in our day... Just a bit higher than clemente and vlad

Last edited by a moderator:

Chi_Archie

EOG Veteran
Stan Musial the most under rated. (yet well known) hitting star of all time.

only pure hitters with a higher lifetime avg than him are Tony Gwynn, Ted Williams and about 10 guys you've heard of and 20 most haven't that were born or even played in the 1800's.

4th in career hits, 3 MVP's 4 2nd place MVP finishes. 14 times in the top 10 in MVP voting.

yes everyone knows his name and that he was hall of fame good. But he doesn't get the credit he deserves as a top 5 all time power/average hitter

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
Stan Musial the most under rated. (yet well known) hitting star of all time.

only pure hitters with a higher lifetime avg than him are Tony Gwynn, Ted Williams and about 10 guys you've heard of and 20 most haven't that were born or even played in the 1800's.

4th in career hits, 3 MVP's 4 2nd place MVP finishes. 14 times in the top 10 in MVP voting.

yes everyone knows his name and that he was hall of fame good. But he doesn't get the credit he deserves as a top 5 all time power/average hitter

Also, 24 time all-star.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
did rail delete a play?

I thought he was on uc irvine -16 last night but cant find that play.

unless it was in another thread.

it was a bad loser fyi which I understand why he deleted the play if he did.

skinny sitting back and watching railbird's lead burn away.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Didn't Birdie say if the winner finishes in the negative, he shouldn't get paid.

We have not adopted that idea, Jammer.

But not a bad idea in terms of the BetDSI bonus.

Seems only fair to the house.

We will stick with the current policy but consider a change in 2021.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
I don't think Birdie thought his comment at the time would apply to him, but he might be in that scenario.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
We have not adopted that idea, Jammer.

But not a bad idea in terms of the BetDSI bonus.

Seems only fair to the house.

We will stick with the current policy but consider a change in 2021.
I think this is a great change. Use that bonus money as an actual bonus if the winner does finish +units.

Doesn't make much sense if the winner finishes negative units they should get the DSI money.

No reason this new addition can't start in February 2020.

Otherwise the winner just gets the opponent's money.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I think this is a great change. Use that bonus money as an actual bonus if the winner does finish +units.

Doesn't make much sense if the winner finishes negative units they should get the DSI money.

No reason this new addition can't start in February 2020.

Otherwise the winner just gets the opponent's money.

I prefer more lead time for the policy change.

Unfair to anyone who has expressed interest in competing like Sleepy and Viejo Dinosaur.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
I prefer more lead time for the policy change.

Unfair to anyone who has expressed interest in competing like Sleepy and Viejo Dinosaur.
A full year is a little extreme. This isn't like getting changing the rules on how the president is elected..

Start it with the month that you dont' have contestants for yet.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
A full year is a little extreme. This isn't like getting changing the rules on how the president is elected..

Start it with the month that you dont' have contestants for yet.

Haha.

You're right, Sporty.

How's this compromise: August or September 2020, the start of a new football season.