The EOG Sports Hour (In-show discussion) January 9-13

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Re: The EOG Sports Hour (In-show discussion) January 9-13

OK, John and David, maybe they teach things differently at USC's law school, but the federal statute that bans all but four states from having in-state sports betting is the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act, passed in 1992.

The Wire Act was passed a long, long time before that and instead bans interstate/international (vis-a-vis the US) sports betting wagers and wagering information.

PASPA is the hurdle that the states that want legalized gambling have to clear.

The Wire Act, in contrast, is the hurdle that those wanting online interstate/international sports betting have to clear for US bettors.

Need to have that sort of thing straight for when you interview I. Nelson Rose next time.

Thanks for contributing, Squarepants.

I'll read your post verbatim tomorrow night.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

[Chuckling] . . . yeah, I wouldn't want to start questioning whether David also was correct about Salt Lake City being the gayest city in the US. Have to keep the facts, uh, straight, lol.

Gives new meaning to the term straight bet.

I make a lot of straight bets.

Prior comment also should read:

PASPA is the hurdle that the states that want legalized sports betting have to clear.

Well, in case you wind up reading this verbatim, I?ll tighten it up a bit, as I wasn?t on my computer with all the bells and whistles late last night:

OK, John and David, maybe they teach things differently at USC's law school, but the federal statute that bans all states except four states from having in-state sports betting is the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA), passed in 1992.

The Wire Act, passed in 1961, instead bans the transmission of sports betting wagers and wagering information in interstate or foreign commerce as to bets placed in or from the US.

PASPA is the statute that currently limits in-state sports betting to only four states. And it limits sports betting in those four states only to the form of sports betting that was allowed in the particular state back in 1992.

The Wire Act, in contrast, is the statute that ? arguably ? currently makes online sports betting illegal in interstate and foreign commerce vis-a-vis US bettors.

Thus, a state like New Jersey that wants in-state sports betting would have to overturn PASPA, not the Wire Act.

Need to have that sort of thing straight for when you interview I. Nelson Rose next time.

May have missed it during football season, but I’m still interested in hearing Rose on your show.

There have been a number of significant developments lately, including the Department of Justice opinion regarding the Wire Act and New Jersey’s impending challenge to PASPA. Difficult to think of someone with a more informed opinion as to handicapping the likelihood of some of these legal barriers coming down over the next couple of years.

Unlike many commentators, Rose gets it that legislation is an expression of political will, not necessarily rationality.

Interested in hearing tonight’s guest’s take, as well, though.

Lots of moving pieces right now and lots of informed opinions coming from different perspectives as to the legal and political landscape.

[Duplicate post -- something about the interaction between the firewall here and the EOG setup.]

cheapseats

EOG Master

May have missed it during football season, but I’m still interested in hearing Rose on your show.

There have been a number of significant developments lately, including the Department of Justice opinion regarding the Wire Act and New Jersey’s impending challenge to PASPA. Difficult to think of someone with a more informed opinion as to handicapping the likelihood of some of these legal barriers coming down over the next couple of years.

Unlike many commentators, Rose gets it that legislation is an expression of political will, not necessarily rationality.

ya think.....jasis....that is all it's about regardless of the definition spin of any or ever word in the jaded law

Gee, maybe it was all that lobbying down at the Louisiana legislature that got to me . . .

The distinction to be made, though, is between legislation and court decisions applying legislation. Whatever glop is passed by a legislature, a court basically is trying to apply it as written, subject to a valid constitutional challenge being raised. Much of what I see written on posting forums about how and why a court decision likely will come down -- based on loosey goosey policy considerations as to strapped government coffers and all -- is essentially nonsense.

cheapseats

EOG Master

legislation is written by the same type of people who also sit in a robe and make decisions regarding the written subject material. nothing more than a circle jerk, and that applies more than just gambling, wire and interstate funding garbage..........phooey

And then there's that whole thing about trying to get action both ways . . . .

brians

EOG Dedicated

[Chuckling] . . . yeah, I wouldn't want to start questioning whether David also was correct about Salt Lake City being the gayest city in the US. Have to keep the facts, uh, straight, lol.
I had no idea, I always associated the punk subculture to Salt Lake, like the movie SLC Punk ... one of my favorites by the way.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Four voices on tonight's show: David Glisan, KingRevolver, Jack Stewart and yours truly.

cheapseats

EOG Master

and the only one the peanut gallery wants to hear.......the peanut.............:pop:

cheapseats

EOG Master

the kitchens have a lot to work with too, david....utah is no good as they exist

brians

EOG Dedicated

gambling is like a relationship ... once you bring emotion into then you're done

brians

EOG Dedicated

LOVE the squeeze

Sometimes it's a slow scroll with the mouse, sometimes I actually cover it up with my hand or squint out of one eye ... whatever feels right at the time. Bazaar but it's all part of the fun.

Ministerman

EOG Member

Bless this post, thread and radio show.
I've spent the last four weeks in Texas on a mission handing out clothes to poor children.

I will wager on any releases tonight by the radio crew.
The children are in need tonight and I must be there for all of them.

I am low on money but high on faith.

cheapseats

EOG Master

you are all good, expand on your subject more, you know your yeller ball...let it go

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

I'm hoping to improve my radio personality. Posting is so much different. I'd love to have JK's talent.