The "let's go White Sox" thread

Yeah no shit me too. Fucken scrubs can't even put up points on the board.

We have all of those worthless uninteresting teams playing in the playoffs that it makes me sick to my stomach.

The closest damn team i can root for is CWS! That's pathetic.

peteep

EOG Addicted
coconutman said:
Yeah no shit me too. Fucken scrubs can't even put up points on the board.

We have all of those worthless uninteresting teams playing in the playoffs that it makes me sick to my stomach.

The closest damn team i can root for is CWS! That's pathetic.

I have actually enjoyed watching this game. Think Chicago is a fun team to root for.

I would rather watch pre-season basketball game than those lame playoffs.

Lets go Angles, hit a 3 run dinger and let CWS match that.

peteep

EOG Addicted
Lucky win. If I bet the Angels, or was part of their organization, I would be livid. Horrible call.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master
I missed the called third strike fiasco, guess it is ESPN time. It sounds like a total shaft from description as why would catcher not just pickup ball and tag out batter, or throw to first if he even had the slightest inclination that it might be perceived as a bobble? Why roll it towards mound and runaway? I guess I have to view it myself. Any opinions?

Best Wishes...OF :+waving-5

Can't be as bad as Dekinger's first base call for the Royals.

Scioccia is ALL class though. He didn't blame it on the umps, he turned it around on the team.

Obviously he wanted to go off, but he doesn't want to have to pay a big fine either.

IF either of the Molinas had been behind the plate it might have been diferent. But it was a guy that doeasn't see a lot of plate time. Obviously he knew he caught the ball. Maybe should have tagged him,.Not sure. But it is kind of redundant I guess to cath and tag both.

He KNEW he caught the ball, but the ump, nor anyone else knes for sure. I have watched a lot of baseball games, as has everyone else, and the FIRST thing someone does when they KNOW they HAVEN"T caught the ball is to tag the guy on the third strike.

The ump never said "no catch" which is customary, and the catcher KNOWING he caught it to him he doesn't need to. Kinda like a center fielder catching a ball and then breaking his arm throwing the ball to first to make sure.

Was a heads up play by AJ, but an even more clutch hit by the other guy. Angels had their chances that game.

ANY time an official of any kind factors in it sucks. But I have no doubt Angels win the series. They have outplayed these guys at every point except starting pitching. That loss just got me slightly better odds. If they had won last night their odds would have been -350 or so. Bittersweet as they are pretty much the only team except the Chargers I will homer for.

dirty

EOG Master
What noone is talking about is the Umpire didn't say OUT!!!! AJ wouldn't have ran if he did.....that was his Normal strike call. If the Umpire would have Said Out he wouldn't have ran....that is why he took off...Any catcher that doesn't hear the out call automatically tags the Hitter....It was a screwup by the catcher plain and simple:+signs9-1

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
A black-eye for baseball and the White Sox. They may have won anyhow, but we will never know, will we? Eric Gregg, the former umpire summed it up best. When an umpire cannot tell, he takes his cue from the reactions of the catcher and the batter- both of whom reacted as if it was an out. At that point the umpire should have called him out , thus stopping this controversy. No matter what, there should be no replays in baseball, period. And P.S. Scioscia is all-class!

dirty

EOG Master
Eric Gregg is not a good source....His fat Butt with the 3 foot strike zone....and was so bad MLB wouldn't rehire hiim after the umpires Strike...and you are right ....the bottom line is if you don't know...the catcher should have tagged him....if he would have done that there would be no discussion today.:doh1

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
dirty said:
Eric Gregg is not a good source....His fat Butt with the 3 foot strike zone....and was so bad MLB wouldn't rehire hiim after the umpires Strike...and you are right ....the bottom line is if you don't know...the catcher should have tagged him....if he would have done that there would be no discussion today.:doh1
Not debating his skill level, but he is dead on the money on this one. Player took two steps toward dugout, catcher caught the ball and rolled it toward the mound. Umpire's lack of action should not have determined ballgame-especially a playoff game. Hindsight is easy, blaming the catcher is not acceptable. Once again, Scioscia all class.

dirty

EOG Master
But the hitter didn't give up....you have to look at both...sure the catcher is going to try to sell it....it was not Definitive...

The Hitter ran to first....it is up to the Umpire to make a call and he didn't...a NO call is safe:+thumbs-2

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
dirty said:
But the hitter didn't give up....you have to look at both...sure the catcher is going to try to sell it....it was not Definitive...

The Hitter ran to first....it is up to the Umpire to make a call and he didn't...a NO call is safe:+thumbs-2
The hitter took two steps toward the dugout, then, the dugout players' yelled for him to run and he ran. But, at first he walked toward the dugout. Either way, the umpires should have overruled the homeplate umpire and let the game be won correctly, on the field.

dirty

EOG Master
just watched the replay and what he does is normal...he was barely out of the Batters Box....If the hitter goes towards the Dugout then he give himself up....That didn't happen...

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
dirty said:
just watched the replay and what he does is normal...he was barely out of the Batters Box....If the hitter goes towards the Dugout then he give himself up....That didn't happen...
Republicans must get a different FOX feed! LOL!

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master
I watched this a billion times, and still have difficulty telling what really happened. As far as the catcher not catching the 3rd strike cleanly, it was close, but from behind the plate you could not tell, very close to a trap of a football pass, but I doubt that is really the issue here. In fact, they do not even talk about that.

This ump has some weird hand signals, a little too much confusion between a strike call and an out. All game long he was consistent, he used the fist as a strike, but I thought that was an out signal. But to me the biggest problem is he did not verbally say dirt or drop. I played a lot of ball, even caught some over the years, and blue would always let you know if there was a question on that third strike. Ball on ground, or drop. Without the audio, which you never get on MLB, it would appear he left it open and said nothing, sort of like you figure it out. Somehow, again without the audio feed, either the dugout said run to first or he just figured it out and ran, because it happened to him last year.

Personally, I think the ball was caught, not trapped. The catcher heard nothing, like dirt or drop and tossed ball towards mound for next inning. Like in boxing you should protect yourself at all times. The ump did not say out. He didn't say anything. Maybe strike, but that was it. Since he did not say out, someone, figured it was not an out, either the dugout or the hitter. Ran to first. The umps ran the damage control interview, which was really lame, and explained nothing. Manager could have come unglued, but being a former catcher, you know better than to lose it at the ump, you need blue to call strikes on black. So I am not sure it was class, but experience. Remember what happened when Jauquin Andujar lost it, so did his team.

The home plate ump blew it, no doubt. You can tell by the reactions of the players. A catcher does not tag the batter out on every third strike. You rely on the ump to let you know, because your back is to him. He did not. But what are they going to do? You ever see an ump admit to blowing a call, a game? They have this credibility issue to maintain, and admission of guilt would undermine that. Did it cost the Angels the game, indirectly yes. The Angels were totally rattled after that and just gave a free pass to second and a sweet 0-2 pitch to hit. Who knows what would have happened if the right call was made, extra innings for sure. Another for sure, this was bad for baseball and the umpires. The players are supposed to appear to decide the game. Nobody thinks that happened here. They should have a big umpire seminar and standardize the calls. They should have required verbal warnings if that is not an out. This is not like the never happen again F1 race, this could happen again, easily. Not the way a playoff game should end.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
OMNIVOROUS FROG said:
I watched this a billion times, and still have difficulty telling what really happened. As far as the catcher not catching the 3rd strike cleanly, it was close, but from behind the plate you could not tell, very close to a trap of a football pass, but I doubt that is really the issue here. In fact, they do not even talk about that.

This ump has some weird hand signals, a little too much confusion between a strike call and an out. All game long he was consistent, he used the fist as a strike, but I thought that was an out signal. But to me the biggest problem is he did not verbally say dirt or drop. I played a lot of ball, even caught some over the years, and blue would always let you know if there was a question on that third strike. Ball on ground, or drop. Without the audio, which you never get on MLB, it would appear he left it open and said nothing, sort of like you figure it out. Somehow, again without the audio feed, either the dugout said run to first or he just figured it out and ran, because it happened to him last year.

Personally, I think the ball was caught, not trapped. The catcher heard nothing, like dirt or drop and tossed ball towards mound for next inning. Like in boxing you should protect yourself at all times. The ump did not say out. He didn't say anything. Maybe strike, but that was it. Since he did not say out, someone, figured it was not an out, either the dugout or the hitter. Ran to first. The umps ran the damage control interview, which was really lame, and explained nothing. Manager could have come unglued, but being a former catcher, you know better than to lose it at the ump, you need blue to call strikes on black. So I am not sure it was class, but experience. Remember what happened when Jauquin Andujar lost it, so did his team.

The home plate ump blew it, no doubt. You can tell by the reactions of the players. A catcher does not tag the batter out on every third strike. You rely on the ump to let you know, because your back is to him. He did not. But what are they going to do? You ever see an ump admit to blowing a call, a game? They have this credibility issue to maintain, and admission of guilt would undermine that. Did it cost the Angels the game, indirectly yes. The Angels were totally rattled after that and just gave a free pass to second and a sweet 0-2 pitch to hit. Who knows what would have happened if the right call was made, extra innings for sure. Another for sure, this was bad for baseball and the umpires. The players are supposed to appear to decide the game. Nobody thinks that happened here. They should have a big umpire seminar and standardize the calls. They should have required verbal warnings if that is not an out. This is not like the never happen again F1 race, this could happen again, easily. Not the way a playoff game should end.

You nailed it Frog! Good post, as usual! P.S. If you ever got paid by the 'word', you could have 10 more kids!

dirty

EOG Master
This is just like a player throwing the ball in the stands when there is only 2 outs or rolling the ball on the grass to the mound with only 2 outs.....It is the players responsibility to know the situation....the umpire's job is not to do that.... I teach My players if it is Questionable then leave no Doubt and tag the Guy or If you are hitting Run...make the Umpire Call you out

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
dirty said:
This is just like a player throwing the ball in the stands when there is only 2 outs or rolling the ball on the grass to the mound with only 2 outs.....It is the players responsibility to know the situation....the umpire's job is not to do that.... I teach My players if it is Questionable then leave no Doubt and tag the Guy or If you are hitting Run...make the Umpire Call you out
So, what you are saying is every third out strikeout, no matter what, the catcher should tag the batter or throw to first for the out. Okay, I get it. That's finewith me, but someone should have told the teams before the playoff game started.

dirty

EOG Master
ZZ CREAM said:
So, what you are saying is every third out strikeout, no matter what, the catcher should tag the batter or throw to first for the out. Okay, I get it. That's finewith me, but someone should have told the teams before the playoff game started.

Not every 3rd strike.....only the Questionable ones.....it would be assinine to do it on every one.....There are only a couple a game that are questionable.....Noone should have to tell a MLB Catcher to finish the play....It is Taught from Little league on Up....

No doubt the ball was caught in the air....We have TV and instant replay to tell...But in live action you have to take all doubt out of it as a Player.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
Bottom line, this game should have been decided by the players. The senior umpire should have overruled the homeplate umpire! If not, the league President should have been consulted.

dirty

EOG Master
The bottom line is Both teams shouldn't have left so many Runners in Scoring position during the game.....You can't blame a game on one call. All it took was execution at any point in the game to not have this situation at hand.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
dirty said:
The bottom line is Both teams shouldn't have left so many Runners in Scoring position during the game.....You can't blame a game on one call. All it took was execution at any point in the game to not have this situation at hand.
And if the Queen had balls, she would be KIng! The inning was over and evryone but one guy in the stadium thought so. Kind of like that idiot umpire game that robbed the Orioles by saying the kid did not interfere with the ball. This was worse!

Now that the Red Sox are out of it, I'll be pulling for the White Sox!!!
They deserve to be the CHAMPS! :+excited- :+excited- :+excited-

Scarlett

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master
Only the questionable ones? How do you know what the umpire determines as questionable. Every former catcher said the same thing, the ump will let you know, or is supposed to. However, I have seen many catchers actually catch the ball and tag the hitter, even on caught third strikes. Although I see where a catcher may do this out of habit, your mind is on other things, mainly, who is the batter, what is the count, and what pitch should you call. Let alone how is his pitcher holding up? Is he gassed? Any baserunners? When your back is turned to the ump, only player on field like that, hand signals will not work. They are mainly for outfielder's to stay awake. Maybe if the umps says nothing, does not say "Yur outta there", then as a precaution, you should tag or throw to first. Bottom line, that ump has to verbalize for the catcher. He did not. The catcher should not be in the position to guess what happened.

You know what would be great, to put a microphone on an ump or catcher. You would not believe some of the bs that goes on. Beleive me, there are no pleasantries, how's the wife and kids. Been fishing lately. Great night for a game. It is more like, are you going to call black? Where is your zone tonight? Are you calling high, low or both, neither? Where did that miss? Are you going to give us any calls tonight. Sprinkle in assorted profanities, and a lot of attitude. If you piss off the ump, strikes are not strikes. The chatter from the dugout is funny, but at the plate it gets ugly. I remember one episode, I think it was neon Dion batting and Carlton Fisk catching. Dion pops out, but does not run it out. Fisk says, run it out you lousy fuck. At first Dion looked like he was going to go off, but to swing on a catcher, who is protected head to toe is suicidal. Besides, catchers are rugged. Foul tips and fastballs that miss the glove hurt, no matter how much padding you have. You sprain or break a finger a week, sometimes more. Take that 98 mph fastball and foul tip it to your cup. Or your mask. And your knees just get eaten up, slowly but steadily.

Pretty simple to say, drop, or dirt. Catcher throws to first or tags batter out.
Will be interesting how they continue the spin. Not a blown call, just a crappy no call. Or maybe it was a blown no call? Is the batter out or not? Guess we found out he was not.

dirty

EOG Master
as a Former ML Scout and a coach I can tell you a No call is an indication of safe.....It is up to the players to play each play unitl the Umpire has made a Call....

And Trust me I know about Catching....Jody Davis of the Cubs and Braves is a close friend and used to Help me coach when I got thru playing in College and came back home.:+thumbs-2

everything everyone is saying is Valid Points....I am just talking about what the players should have done.....Fundamentals are lost in MLB in Most instances and it should be a Non issue if they played the game the way they were Taught.

I am not arguing here..just giving another point of View from someone who coaches College and Pro Prospects.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master
That I agree 100% with. You are not safe, but not out either. You must be called out, or you are not. And that is what most of the controversy is about. Was he out, sure looked that way to me. Was he called out, no. Therefore he is still live, and must be tagged or thrown out at first. To be called out. In 95% of the plays, there is either a safe/out call. But in this situation, there was not. Ultimately it is the catcher's responsibility to make sure the batter is out, before anything else. The most likely thing to come of this will be two things, the umps will tighten up their act temporarily, and catchers will take nothing for granted. Would have been better to have this happen in a meaningless game, instead of a playoff game. But Cards pretty much got shafted out of a World Series win with Denkinger. Did they know KC manager had inoperatable brain tumor, not long to live? That one is immortalized in paintings, photos, you name it. Batter was out by stride and a half. No one could blow that call. Unless...