The Raiders Will Win the AFC West Next Year...

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows
Just listened to an interview and I've been saying for a while that I thought Russel would get drastically better this year. If they would have gotten Crabtree I'd be a lot more confident in this, but their defense is good and young and they have a great core of RB's, and if Russel gets better they'll win that division.

If they didn't lose to the Chiefs, in Oakland, they would have been right there in the playoff hunt. One game, that was all, and they are going to get better this year. It's a bold call, but I do think it'll happen.

PS. I think Al Davis is a clown and they drafted like shit, but I think they have the players on the team to get it done.

tripp

EOG Master
Re: The Raiders Will Win the AFC West Next Year...

I'll be surprised if they don't finish last. Horrible team with maybe the worst starting QB in the league.

WebGem

Banned

There is no way they finish 1st place. The Chargers will win the division wit a 9-7 record

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Their defense is very good, and Russel will get better. He has the "arm talent" as Cris Carter would say. He needs the line to get better, which I think it will, and he needs a receiver to step up. I'm not sure that will happen, but I wouldn't be surprised.

We'll see, but I think the Raiders get it done.

WebGem

Banned

Last year Higgins led the wr's with 22 grabs. How does this team win the division with that?

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

The Titans won with a great run game and great defense, the Raiders can do the same. It's the NFL. Crazier things have happened, that's for sure. They finished the season strong and there was drastic improvement. I think it will continue.

Tuckman

Uh Poster

The Titans won with a great run game and great defense, the Raiders can do the same. It's the NFL. Crazier things have happened, that's for sure. They finished the season strong and there was drastic improvement. I think it will continue.

i'll never post again if they win the division, if they dont u can never create ANOTHER ghost account..

deal? :shoot:

tripp

EOG Master

C'mon man. Titans defense is MUCH better than Oakland's. Oakland has no one even close to Haynesworth. Titans running game is MUCH better than Oaklands. Chris Johnson is better than McFadden, and White is probably better than him too. Tennessee also has a better OL and a better QB. Vince Young was awful and might be even worse than Russell, but Collins is better, and he sucks.

WebGem

Banned

C'mon man. Titans defense is MUCH better than Oakland's. Oakland has no one even close to Haynesworth. Titans running game is MUCH better than Oaklands. Chris Johnson is better than McFadden, and White is probably better than him too. Tennessee also has a better OL and a better QB. Vince Young was awful and might be even worse than Russell, but Collins is better, and he sucks.

Good post. I agree with everything you said there.

BCTTWR

EOG Dedicated

Timely Hitting, Let me guess who you like to win the world series, the Nationals?

Raiders Win Total is 5?. Have at it.

I'll be surprised if they don't finish last. Horrible team with maybe the worst starting QB in the league.

DO you watch football? The Radiers looked good down the stretch , far from horrible, and several games they lost were very close...Anyone who knows even a little bit about football could see the improvements this team made down the stretch...

If you have a good defence and good run game, you are not horrible in the NFL...The Bronco's are horrible as witnessed by the 33-10 ass reaming the Raiders gave them in Invesco...

Wrong again Tripp...

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

i think the chargers win this division.i think the chiefs will be in second place.the broncos will take the third spot and oakland will be last.

munson15

I want winners...

I don't agree, but let's break this down a little. San Diego under Norv Turner is always an accident waiting to happen. Their best defensive player shredded his knee (Merriman) and they drafted a possible replacement. Their best offensive player is in decline (Tomlinson). They always seem to play down to the level of opposition, and in this division, that will be a notch below elite.

Denver has entrusted an offensive minded team to Kyle Orton and has a new coach who by all accounts, is suffering some growing pains. Kansas City is a mess, clearly in re-build mode after sending their best player to Atlanta (Gonzalez).

Given all that, a 5-11 team who has finally stopped playing musical chairs at head coach and has talented players dotting the roster could compete. It would not be inconceivable for them to catch up in a weak division. San Diego has the first place schedule to confront and represents the stiffest competition. Do I think Oakland wins the AFC West? No, but stranger things have happened and I don't think it's completely out of line to suggest that it might.

tripp

EOG Master

Haynesworth is with Washington.

He wasn't last year though, and he was comparing Oakland this year to Tennessee last year.

Oakland is not even close to Tennessee. They really don't have a shot at the playoffs.

tripp

EOG Master

DO you watch football? The Radiers looked good down the stretch , far from horrible, and several games they lost were very close...Anyone who knows even a little bit about football could see the improvements this team made down the stretch...

If you have a good defence and good run game, you are not horrible in the NFL...The Bronco's are horrible as witnessed by the 33-10 ass reaming the Raiders gave them in Invesco...

Wrong again Tripp...

So the Broncos last year were "horrible" as you put it, but Oakland wasn't when they had a worse record by 3 games in the same division? Hmm..hard not to agree with flawless logic like that.:+clueless

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Oh my lord, is this attention whoring or are you really just dumb?

If someone said the Falcons would win the NFC South last year, would they have been dumb? Before the season started? Or how about the Cardinals in the Superbowl. This is the NFL and crazy things happen every year. This is one of those crazy things, IMO. Not sure why that makes it an attention whore thread. They're my sleeper team in the NFL this year, and I may be way off but that's why it's just an opinion.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Wrong again Tripp...

This is what I was getting at. They finished the season well and they have two good RB's and a good defense. If Jamarcus gets better, even by a little, they're a 9 win team and that could win the West.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I don't agree, but let's break this down a little. San Diego under Norv Turner is always an accident waiting to happen. Their best defensive player shredded his knee (Merriman) and they drafted a possible replacement. Their best offensive player is in decline (Tomlinson). They always seem to play down to the level of opposition, and in this division, that will be a notch below elite.

Denver has entrusted an offensive minded team to Kyle Orton and has a new coach who by all accounts, is suffering some growing pains. Kansas City is a mess, clearly in re-build mode after sending their best player to Atlanta (Gonzalez).

Given all that, a 5-11 team who has finally stopped playing musical chairs at head coach and has talented players dotting the roster could compete. It would not be inconceivable for them to catch up in a weak division. San Diego has the first place schedule to confront and represents the stiffest competition. Do I think Oakland wins the AFC West? No, but stranger things have happened and I don't think it's completely out of line to suggest that it might.

Pretty much everything you said was a part of my reasoning. I heard Thomas interviewed and he said the team is ecstatic over Cable being their coach, and they seem to be very positive going into this year.

They will not be one of the worst teams in the NFL next year.

Pretty much what you said.

At face value the statement seems ludicrous but when you dig deeper, there is logic behind it. Denver and KC both have major issues and SD is getting worse the longer that Norval is there.

Oakland will be +600 or more to win the West. There is value there.

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

Just listened to an interview and I've been saying for a while that I thought Russel would get drastically better this year. If they would have gotten Crabtree I'd be a lot more confident in this, but their defense is good and young and they have a great core of RB's, and if Russel gets better they'll win that division.

If they didn't lose to the Chiefs, in Oakland, they would have been right there in the playoff hunt. One game, that was all, and they are going to get better this year. It's a bold call, but I do think it'll happen.

PS. I think Al Davis is a clown and they drafted like shit, but I think they have the players on the team to get it done.

tom cable? the former idaho head coach who couldnt win even 4 gms there a season and then went to ucla and drove their offense into the ground as OC? the guy cannot coach. and as far as the players they have.....denver and san diego have superior ones

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

tom cable? the former idaho head coach who couldnt win even 4 gms there a season and then went to ucla and drove their offense into the ground as OC? the guy cannot coach. and as far as the players they have.....denver and san diego have superior ones

Denver and San Diego have FAR from superior players. Oakland has the best defense in that division now, IMO. Or at least they will next year.

Cable needs to lead, and that's what he's doing. As Howard said, Cable is a Raider guy and he knows how to handle the Raiders organization. Thomas Howard is just one of the bright spots for the Raiders defense. They also have the best CB in the league now that Champ is older, IMO.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

At face value the statement seems ludicrous but when you dig deeper, there is logic behind it. Denver and KC both have major issues and SD is getting worse the longer that Norval is there.

I wish I would have written everything that Munson wrote since he broke it down better than me, but that's why there is reasoning. They may even be +800 to win the West.

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

san diego is getting worse under norv?

afc championship gm in 07 and last yr they lost to the eventual super bowl champs on the road

oakland is absolute horseshit thats why in a down AFC west last season they still could not muster much, denver and kc were way down last yr and oakland remains horseshit

afc championship gm in 07 and last yr they lost to the eventual super bowl champs on the road

oakland is absolute horseshit thats why in a down AFC west last season they still could not muster much, denver and kc were way down last yr and oakland remains horseshit

Last year they also needed a monumental collapse by Denver to even make the playoffs and OT to get out of round one.

They also got worked by Pittsburgh.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Oakland is young and getting better, while SD is getting worse. Can you not see that San Diego is getting worse? Norv is a horrible coach, and they're best player may not even get enough carries to suit his needs next year.

munson15

I want winners...

I know you delve into things before you post, so I'm pleased you agree. I think you have that price nailed, too. I don't think you'll see higher than 6-1 since KC will be the longshot.

San Diego Chargers 2006 season:

1st in points scored, 4th in yards gained, 7th in points allowed, 10th in yards allowed

San Diego Chargers 2008 season:

2nd in points scored, 11th in yards gained, 15th in points allowed, 25th in yards allowed

I know you delve into things before you post, so I'm pleased you agree. I think you have that price nailed, too. I don't think you'll see higher than 6-1 since KC will be the longshot.

:cheers If I knew Garcia was gonna be starting and not Russell, I'd feel a lot better about Oakland.

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

San Diego Chargers 2006 season:

1st in points scored, 4th in yards gained, 7th in points allowed, 10th in yards allowed

San Diego Chargers 2008 season:

2nd in points scored, 11th in yards gained, 15th in points allowed, 25th in yards allowed

you conveniently left out 2007

anyhow, the chargers have one of the best young QBs in rivers and merriman will return healthy in 2009 and their defense will be great again

LT is getting older and cannot be an every down back but filling his big shoes will not be as tough as you dont need another LT because you have 3rd down scatback sproles and can pick up another plug in RB to fill carries

the qb, o-line, WR's and defense, are all very solid

chargers win the west AGAIN in 09

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

anyone who does not realize the void that merriman being out left on the SD defense last yr was not paying attention

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Merriman hasn't been the same since he stopped juicing. Have you not noticed that? Who are their SOLID receivers? They're defense is getting older, and worse, as was apparent last year. Merriman went from 17 sacks in 12 games, and being a fierce player, to 12.5 sacks in 15 games, and being non-existent for a lot of games. He's a pass rusher coming off a terrible injury, and he was already declining because he wasn't juicing anymore.

WebGem

Banned

Absolutely no way the Raiders can not win this division. They will win 4-7 games

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

no way the raiders win this division.like i said earlier i still think chargers and chiefs will come out near the top.broncos will be 7-9 or so and of course raiders will be 4-12.

i'm on the fence about the broncos.they could very will be very good.the big question is the defense and orton.