The Round of 16 is the end of the line for the SEC

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I don't like any of the SEC representatives this Thursday and Friday.

I think Purdue will defeat Tennessee and Houston will eliminate a shorthanded Kentucky team.

Favorites North Carolina and Michigan State should handle Auburn and LSU, respectively.

Any thoughts?

unluckysob

EOG Dedicated
6 weeks ago I thought Tennessee was the best team in the country. Now. They just show flashes of their once great self. Inconsistent, poorly coached.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
I don't like any of the SEC representatives this Thursday and Friday.

I think Purdue will defeat Tennessee and Houston will eliminate a shorthanded Kentucky team.

Favorites North Carolina and Michigan State should handle Auburn and LSU, respectively.

Any thoughts?

I think the SEC is stronger than you think.....I like NC to beat Auburn.....in the other three games I like the SEC teams....good luck JK!

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
The greatest part about Calipari is his team plays together. They distribute the ball well. I fear Houston will rely on their one star and everything else will falter.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I think the SEC is stronger than you think.....I like NC to beat Auburn.....in the other three games I like the SEC teams....good luck JK!

Uh oh.

LSU and Tennessee were very sloppy in the Round of 32.

LSU blew a 15-point lead to Maryland with 16 minutes left and Tennessee once led by 25 against Iowa before being pushed to overtime in a life-and-death win.

Now LSU and Tennessee play real Big Ten teams in Michigan State and Purdue.

Last edited:

Valuist

EOG Master
Auburn has the most variance of any team left. In the second half vs New Mexico State, they were at their worst, and looked ignorant in the process. If they play like that, they will get buried. But you look at the games vs Kansas and the SEC title game vs Tennessee and it's hard to see any team touching them. If that Auburn team shows up, North Carolina will be in trouble.

Everyone talks about Auburn shooting a ton of threes, but they are also about forcing turnovers. They play the passing lanes as good as anyone, and UNC is 190th in turnovers committed per game.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I don’t think Kentucky needs to be full strength. Wasn’t impressed with Houston vs OSU.

You could be right, AA.

But Houston's defense gives up nothing for free.

Kentucky with twice as many losses (6) this season as Houston (3).

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Auburn has the most variance of any team left. In the second half vs New Mexico State, they were at their worst, and looked ignorant in the process. If they play like that, they will get buried. But you look at the games vs Kansas and the SEC title game vs Tennessee and it's hard to see any team touching them. If that Auburn team shows up, North Carolina will be in trouble.

Everyone talks about Auburn shooting a ton of threes, but they are also about forcing turnovers. They play the passing lanes as good as anyone, and UNC is 190th in turnovers committed per game.

Good point about UNC's turnovers.

If you like Auburn, you should take a piece of +200 on the money line (Westgate).

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Interesting to note: Basketball west of the Mississippi really struggled this season, yet the West Region featuring Gonzaga, Michigan, Texas Tech and Florida State looks loaded.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Auburn would be better off making it a halfcourt game but they arent necessarily the smartest bunch and I can see them getting into an up and down battle with White and Carolina. A battle they will lose.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I agree, Pro.

UNC's freshman point guard Coby White makes beautiful use of his three starting seniors Maye, Johnson and Williams.

Heim

EOG Master
Auburn would be better off making it a halfcourt game but they arent necessarily the smartest bunch and I can see them getting into an up and down battle with White and Carolina. A battle they will lose.

They don't have a half court game.

Blackcloud

EOG Dedicated
Auburn loves the up and down. If they lose it will not be because they choose to play that way. They can play that style with anyone in the country including Carolina. If they lose it will be because they do not rebound well.

If they win it will be because UNC turns the ball over too much and because Auburn is a deeper team. Maybe not quite as talented as UNC but deeper 1-10.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Your first sentence said it all. That's the problem. They wont beat Carolina at their own game. White is the best talent and player on the court in that style. Auburn would have to hit an incredible amount behind the arc just to keep pace because White would destroy Auburn especially in 2nd half. I noticed Auburn gets dumber and dumber especially in 2nd half as well.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
If I'm Pearl, I wouldnt necessarily advice my kids to play in a helter skelter type of basketball game against Carolina.

It will be pure ignorance on his part to try to match Carolina at their own game.

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master
The SEC’s biggest issue above all else is horrible in-game coaching. Calapari and Barnes two of the very worst. Pearl is ok but you see what his players do.

I think 1 or even 2 might advance but I’m confident none of them win it all.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
I have absolutely no input on Purdue Tennessee. You can set that line either way and I'll take the points on whatever side getting them.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I have absolutely no input on Purdue Tennessee. You can set that line either way and I'll take the points on whatever side getting them.
That’s a hard game to cap. It will be a very tough ticket as both campuses are only a 3-4 hour drive from Louisville. I would imagine that the winner of this game will have 80 percent of the tickets for the Saturday game vs UVA/Oregon.

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
I also believe Auburn shows up and gives North Carolina a game and from this corner especially if it's a close game Bruce Pearl is a coaching advantage over Williams.

Blackcloud

EOG Dedicated
If I'm Pearl, I wouldnt necessarily advice my kids to play in a helter skelter type of basketball game against Carolina.

It will be pure ignorance on his part to try to match Carolina at their own game.

I think you have it backwards. Carolina has an advantage inside. Thats the direction they should take. Up and down the court is the only way Auburn can win. Carolina may win that way as well. But I do not think they have an advantage over Auburn with that style.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
They have a better shot off at knocking Carolina off if they d it up in the halfcourt. Carolina isnt as smooth and can get flustered easily that way. Carolina really arent a good shooting team either.

They have absolutely no shot at beating Carolina if this game is in the 80s or more. They're giving Roy Williams and his team steak for dinner if they play helter skelter.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Backing Purdue can be nervewracking with so much on Edwards, who is never far away from a 6 for 24

Purdue's two losses to Minnesota over an 11-day period in March are troubling.

Checking to see how Edwards performed in those two games.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
As expected, Edwards was a combined 7-for-25 from the field in those two losses to Minnesota.

And a pitiful 4-for-23 from beyond the arc.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Paul Washington said he was offended by speculation that his son did not want to jeopardize his NBA career by risking further injury playing again for Kentucky. PJ Washington has not played since spraining his left foot against Tennessee in the Southeastern Conference Tournament semifinals on March 16.

During a telephone conversation, Paul Washington read an exchange his son had had with a fan on social media.

“Better not quit on your brothers for money,” the elder Washington said the fan posted. “You’ll regret that (decision) your whole life.”

To which, PJ Washington posted a reply. “What’s wrong with some of you all?” his father read.

His family does not put PJ Washington’s chances for playing in the NBA above all other considerations, the elder Washington said.
“I have a good job,” he said. “We live in a great house. We’ve always lived in the suburbs. I mean, we’re middle class. We’re not hurting for anything. . . .
“I respect people who have to (make an NBA team) for their family. But PJ can graduate from college and never play again, and we’ll be OK.”

Read more here: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...tball-men/article228382104.html#storylink=cpy

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
A well-placed UK source said Washington is unlikely to play Friday night.

Remember, UK big man Reid Travis is already playing hurt.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Kentucky beat Wofford by only six points.

Wofford star player Fletcher Magee went 0-for-12 from beyond the arc.

I Actually played SEC over 10.5 wins +110 at Westgate on Wednesday.... definitely hope you’re wrong JK but good luck on your action

Here in West Lafayette we are pretty excited about how our boilers have shown up and went into beast mode!!! Tenn has no answer for Haarms!! He will cause Williams trouble inside and if Edwards and Cline are shooting even remotely close to what they did to nova then tenn is done from the get go!! Only thing that is Purdue’s downfall is Matt Painter he is always one boneheaded playcall away from causing disaster