Time for a MLB discussion thread: Barry Bonds, 1st ballot Hall of Fame?

PO69

EOG Master
Of course he wont get in on the first time due to the steroids, but would you vote him in?

I would DEFINITELY make him a first ballot Hall of Famer. I mean I dont care how he did it, I just know what he achieved BEFORE and AFTER the steroids.

tripp

EOG Master
Re: Time for a MLB discussion thread: Barry Bonds, 1st ballot Hall of Fame?

Absolutely. Should be a unanimous first ballot, but of coarse he won't.

I love baseball and I love MLB, but their HOF is a joke.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

Will he be in jail before the vote, is my question.

I'd vote him in, however I think he never gets in, without buying a ticket.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

He's a 1st ballot Hall of Famer even if his ballot consisted of Ruth, Gehrig, Mays, Ted Williams, and other all-time greats. Before Bonds ever touched a steroid he was one of the three greatest players of all time.

He's a 1st ballot Hall of Famer even if his ballot consisted of Ruth, Gehrig, Mays, Ted Williams, and other all-time greats. Before Bonds ever touched a steroid he was one of the three greatest players of all time.

Let me finish the story.

His ego got big, then his hat size followed. He doesn't hit 700 HR's without cheating. He was not a top three player before cheating.

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

without the steroids (which i believe he took after the 99 season which he only played 102 gms due to injury) there are NO 73 hrs in 2001 to beat mcgwire's record and there
are NO 762 to beat hank.

think about that for a minute. let's assume he was on roids from 2000 onwards which i believe is very safe to say based on the numbers, and he hit 317 of his 762 hrs while on steroids

that is insane

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/bondsba01.shtml

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

very simple and plausible theory: after the 99 season where he only played 102 gms due to injuries, he takes the roids because he knows his production will slip because his body is slipping. it is just one season after the mcgwire and sosa baseball hr lovefest, and bonds says fukk it, i'm gona take roids and beat mcgwires record and hank aaron's too

8 seasons on roids and 317 hrs after starting the roids

NO WAY NO HOW WAS THIS GUY TOP 3 EVER BEFORE TAKING THE ROIDS

hall of famer before roids? yes

top 3 ballplayer ever? no fukking way

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

If you don't put in Bonds, you may as well cancel the HOF and don't have one.

Also, unless you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that every player who is currently in the HOF never cheated even one time, you have to let him in. Sure, we would all love to believe that the player of yesteryear never broke the rules but cmon, they all did it. Think of the stuff that went on back in the 'day'.

Jim Kaat made a good point about this. He said that any juicing before 2004 (or was it 2001?) wasn't against the rules. What he did WAS against the rules. Kitty said that he threw pitches that were forbidden from the rule book (im guessing spitters or stuff like that) and even though some believe that steroids is worse than spitballs, its still rules vs no rules.

Also, you have to factor in that many of Bonds homeruns were hit off pitchers who were also on the juice. Bonds just evened up the score.

very simple and plausible theory: after the 99 season where he only played 102 gms due to injuries, he takes the roids because he knows his production will slip because his body is slipping. it is just one season after the mcgwire and sosa baseball hr lovefest, and bonds says fukk it, i'm gona take roids and beat mcgwires record and hank aaron's too

8 seasons on roids and 317 hrs after starting the roids

NO WAY NO HOW WAS THIS GUY TOP 3 EVER BEFORE TAKING THE ROIDS

hall of famer before roids? yes

top 3 ballplayer ever? no fukking way

And on the flipside, look at the resume of Mr Clemens after he got hurt.

I want to hear the other two included with Bonds for all-time best. Tim Raines was on the HOF track when cocaine derailed it.

If you don't put in Bonds, you may as well cancel the HOF and don't have one.

Also, unless you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that every player who is currently in the HOF never cheated even one time, you have to let him in. Sure, we would all love to believe that the player of yesteryear never broke the rules but cmon, they all did it. Think of the stuff that went on back in the 'day'.

Jim Kaat made a good point about this. He said that any juicing before 2004 (or was it 2001?) wasn't against the rules. What he did WAS against the rules. Kitty said that he threw pitches that were forbidden from the rule book (im guessing spitters or stuff like that) and even though some believe that steroids is worse than spitballs, its still rules vs no rules.

Also, you have to factor in that many of Bonds homeruns were hit off pitchers who were also on the juice. Bonds just evened up the score.

Do you think Maddux took roids?

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Barry Bonds was a three time MVP before he started taking steroids. He was a 9 time GG winner before he started taking steroids. He had gone 30-30 and was a three hundred hitter. You are also saying his career would have just ended if he didn't take 'roids. You have to look at his projected numbers. He still would have ended up as the only 500-500 guy. With all his Gold Gloves, and going 500-500, and his MVP awards I would have to say he was a top 5 pre-steroids. 3 was a little high.

PO69

EOG Master

Glad to see THEMANEJ join the discussion. When themanej is in a discussion, I feel like this is an ALL-STAR thread now

And on the flipside, look at the resume of Mr Clemens after he got hurt.

I want to hear the other two included with Bonds for all-time best. Tim Raines was on the HOF track when cocaine derailed it.

speaking of cocaine:

are MLB players tested for it ?

I don't think it would help over the course of a season....

but

I think it could help, used selectively

how about Manny Ramirez possibly batting, in a playoff game, while wired ?

I think it would make him ( or anybody else) perform better, IN THAT GAME. It would hurt if used everyday, but for one big game, I think it COULD enhance performance.

One certainly feels good when coked up !

I haven't used it regularly myself in 15 years, except for one time about 5 years ago. Offer me a line, I'll snort it ( if I think it is the good stuff)!

I really think it would help, in a big game.

Barry Bonds was a three time MVP before he started taking steroids. He was a 9 time GG winner before he started taking steroids. He had gone 30-30 and was a three hundred hitter. You are also saying his career would have just ended if he didn't take 'roids. You have to look at his projected numbers. He still would have ended up as the only 500-500 guy. With all his Gold Gloves, and going 500-500, and his MVP awards I would have to say he was a top 5 pre-steroids. 3 was a little high.

Name the other four. If he was so great, he didn't need them, right? He took them for two reasons - greed and ego.

speaking of cocaine:

are MLB players tested for it ?

I don't think it would help over the course of a season....

but

I think it could help, used selectively

how about Manny Ramirez possibly batting, in a playoff game, while wired ?

I think it would make him ( or anybody else) perform better, IN THAT GAME. It would hurt if used everyday, but for one big game, I think it COULD enhance performance.

One certainly feels good when coked up !

I haven't used it regularly myself in 15 years, except for one time about 5 years ago. Offer me a line, I'll snort it ( if I think it is the good stuff)!

I really think it would help, in a big game.

They are tested for it. Remember when Raines admitted having a vile of coke in his back pocket, and tore the pocket sliding?

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Ruth
Mays
Williams
Aaron
Bonds
Gehrig

I think Shoeless Joe would have been up there had his career not been taken from him.

They are tested for it. Remember when Raines admitted having a vile of coke in his back pocket, and tore the pocket sliding?

I don't recall that. Are they tested aggressively, or just some random spot checks ?

What's the penalty ( 1st time) ?

railbird

EOG Master

East coast hymies are the ones who vote. Thats why Walter Omalley is not in. Do they like a West Coast guy who is not a company man whore? NO.

FK-how can you say a player is top 5 when he never won a title?

Rickey Henderson could be top 5-10.

East coast hymies are the ones who vote. Thats why Walter Omalley is not in. Do they like a West Coast guy who is not a company man whore? NO.

O'Malley made it last year. I assumed he was in. The system needs to include sportscasters voting along with writers.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Lot of "old farts" will not vote for Bonds ...

sorry ... reality sucks

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

O'Malley is in the Hall of Fame. What are you talking about?

Lefthook

EOG Veteran

First Ballot, no chance. Writers are stubborn and theres a decent chance he doesnt get in at all.

Talent wise, no question but I think the baggage will keep him out. If the perjury charges stick and he's convicted he's never getting in