To Be A Successful Sports Gambler ......

Would you agree that from time to time you have to put faith in others ability to cap a certain team/sport better than you can?

I ask this as I was looking at Ironlock's "Doggie Of The Day" thread and it seems to me that if I follow these posters that are familiar with their teams and comfortable in their sport, I would probably come out ahead in the longrun. For me I know the Braves pretty well but Baseball is not my strongest sport when it comes to handicapping; I had much rather and would feel more confident backing someone who has a proven record in a sport.

For instance, Ace-Ace and Panther always do well in College and Pro football, AFL Guru is strong in his sport, and SHRINK has done a great job capping the ODU basketball team the last couple years. If you take the time to look around you will find some exceptional cappers around the ole forum world.

Share your thoughts if you like.....

Glaken

Good question, I touched on it in another post. If someone has proven expectation if that expection can be added to the person's ability making a better probability.

Obviously following someone wholehearetdly is a different circumstance. So you have to take it with a grain of salt. Just a question of how much you trust someone else's abilities.

But I would rather use ther abilites to help my own. I would never follow anyone for the sake of following, but I might use their knowledge to make a judgement decsion on what to do or what not to do.

Stickie

EOG Senior Member
I personally cap nothing my self. I follow a winning capper in each sport. I never bet my own inutition as I am almost always wrong (colts last night).
Regardless of how little I like the cappers plays, I play everything they suggest.

Glaken<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_8305", true); </SCRIPT> .... although i never play another cappers plays, i DO RESPECT THE PLAYS OF CERTAIN CAPPERS...ESPESCIALLY PANTHER AND SHRINK WITH ODU!!! I ALWAYS LOOK AT THE OTHERS PICKS.... JUST TO SEE IF THERE MAY BE SOMETHING I OVERLOOKED IN MY OWN CAPPING!!! LOOKING AT YOUR AVATAR.... IF YOU COME IN WITH A STRONG OPINION ON/AGAINST FLORIDA STATE, ILL BE VERY INTERESTED IN WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY! GOOD LUCK!!! SHAWN GOTTI! GO NOLES!!!:+thumbs-2

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated
being that I am really only in my 3rd year of sports-betting, it would be almost foolish of me to not observe other cappers and their strong suits...even though I would much rather lose playing one of my plays than lose tailing someone else's, I do realize that certain people are more solid than others in particular areas...while I don't bet every O.D.U game that Shrink releases, i always read his writeups, and if I feel confident on it i'll pull the trigger...last College season, I admit that I unloaded on Uconn in their Bowl game based 100% off what Ace-Ace was saying (real glad I did)...

I'm just starting to learn how to cap baseball and it's very interesting when you see your work pay off.

Football i cap by watching as many games as i can. Read NY papers and try to get as much info about the Jets/Giants. I never look into past ATS data but only to the earlier season matchups. By watching a lot of games i can get a feels for the teams and that helps my capping greatly.

Fading is another factor of my capping. I look for people on losing streaks, people that are too confident in their play... people who strictly rely on their ATS data.

Since most people lose betting sports... you have to find a simple joe who is in a tracked contest that posts his plays every day. After a while you will see that he is great at losing and fading him will make you money over a long period of time. Everyone knows that and it's one of the best tools you can use to gamble with.

coconutman said:
I'm just starting to learn how to cap baseball and it's very interesting when you see your work pay off.

Football i cap by watching as many games as i can. Read NY papers and try to get as much info about the Jets/Giants. I never look into past ATS data but only to the earlier season matchups. By watching a lot of games i can get a feels for the teams and that helps my capping greatly.

Fading is another factor of my capping. I look for people on losing streaks, people that are too confident in their play... people who strictly rely on their ATS data.

Since most people lose betting sports... you have to find a simple joe who is in a tracked contest that posts his plays every day. After a while you will see that he is great at losing and fading him will make you money over a long period of time. Everyone knows that and it's one of the best tools you can use to gamble with.

Coconut, I agree....the power of the fade is often overlooked.

red26

EOG Enthusiast
wantitall4moi said:
But I would rather use ther abilites to help my own. I would never follow anyone for the sake of following, but I might use their knowledge to make a judgement decsion on what to do or what not to do.

Good posting. I enjoy reading others because it could help my handicapping as well as identify any solid edge I may have missed. I never blindly follow - more fun to cap and win with your own hardwork paying off.:+waving-5