To Torture or Not to Torture

dirty

EOG Master
TO TORTURE OR NOT TO TORTUREThe media, Democrats and John McCain are obsessed with the Bush administration's efforts to kill the measure in Congress that would ban any torture of terrorist suspects. The measure in the Senate bans any torture...ever.
The problem with that? Well, just imagine if somebody like say, that Islamic scumbag Khaleid Sheik Mohammed currently rotting in our prison knows something about another terrorist attack on the United States. What if he won't talk? Thousands of lives could hinge on the knowledge he has....and the United States should retain the right to get the information out of him any way we can. Let's put this on a personal level. If you knew that someone had the information that could save 50,000 lives, would you torture that person if that was the only way to get the information you needed to save those lives? Now don't give me any nonsense about "torture doesn't work." Stick with the fact scenario I gave you. If torture was the only way to save 50,000 lives, would you do it? Come on, you leftist weasels ... tell me you wouldn't. Hopefully, you would resort to torture just to save the lives of your wife and family ... I know I would.
McCain is worried about our image in the world...and the perception that we torture people as a matter of policy. But there will always be countries that hate us...and the anti-American international media will always fan the flames. The War on Terror is not a popularity contest....it's a fight for civilization as we know it, and the stakes are high. Frankly, at this point I'm more concerned about American being feared than I am about us being respected.
President Bush knows this, and said as much yesterday: "There's an enemy that lurks and plots and plans and wants to hurt America again. So you bet we will aggressively pursue them but we will do so under the law. He also correctly pointed out what we do not torture people.
But we shouldn't tie the hands of the government entirely....there are situations where torture is just what the doctor ordered.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
What if you torture someone and they were innocent? How much can you apologize or pay someone then?

gbm

EOG Enthusiast
we don't torture. we pay others to torture for us. then we can deny any torture accusations. sop for a lot of cia type actions.

Nimue77

EOG Senior Member
Yeah and if you torture prisoners expect other countries to torture Americans without worrying about it. Hey, we needed his info. But if you really want torture, lets start with Cheney and Bush to find out what they really know about 9/11.

dirty said:
TO TORTURE OR NOT TO TORTUREThe media, Democrats and John McCain are obsessed with the Bush administration's efforts to kill the measure in Congress that would ban any torture of terrorist suspects. The measure in the Senate bans any torture...ever.
The problem with that? Well, just imagine if somebody like say, that Islamic scumbag Khaleid Sheik Mohammed currently rotting in our prison knows something about another terrorist attack on the United States. What if he won't talk? Thousands of lives could hinge on the knowledge he has....and the United States should retain the right to get the information out of him any way we can. Let's put this on a personal level. If you knew that someone had the information that could save 50,000 lives, would you torture that person if that was the only way to get the information you needed to save those lives? Now don't give me any nonsense about "torture doesn't work." Stick with the fact scenario I gave you. If torture was the only way to save 50,000 lives, would you do it? Come on, you leftist weasels ... tell me you wouldn't. Hopefully, you would resort to torture just to save the lives of your wife and family ... I know I would.
McCain is worried about our image in the world...and the perception that we torture people as a matter of policy. But there will always be countries that hate us...and the anti-American international media will always fan the flames. The War on Terror is not a popularity contest....it's a fight for civilization as we know it, and the stakes are high. Frankly, at this point I'm more concerned about American being feared than I am about us being respected.
President Bush knows this, and said as much yesterday: "There's an enemy that lurks and plots and plans and wants to hurt America again. So you bet we will aggressively pursue them but we will do so under the law. He also correctly pointed out what we do not torture people.
But we shouldn't tie the hands of the government entirely....there are situations where torture is just what the doctor ordered.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
Nimue77 said:
Yeah and if you torture prisoners expect other countries to torture Americans without worrying about it. Hey, we needed his info. But if you really want torture, lets start with Cheney and Bush to find out what they really know about 9/11.
I think they mean torture is okay as long as it does not interfere with the Saudi-George W pipeline!