Top 10 reasons why I like Soccer/World Cup

10. It's isn't about going into your free agent year strong or holding out for a better contract.

9. At the highest levels soccer is about Pride and Passion for whatever Country that you represent.

8. It's isn't about a city or region its about a Country hosting themselves up on the world's stage.

7. It's truely a World game that stops civil wars and brings people together over a game that is truely much more then just a game.

6. The World Cup is the only sport where people actually remember who came in second. (Can anyone remember who finished 2nd in the 2002 NBA finals still and if one wants to say well there have been 4 NBA finals between 2002-2006 and only one World Cup most people can counter that by easily knowing who finished second in the 1990 World Cup)

5. There is no feeling that can put into words the second before a goal goes in the back of the net and the rush that comes after it.

4. Players care about the game at its highest level. How many times do I read people complain about NBA players saying there not even trying that is never an consideration in soccer each and every player gives it there all

3. You can't take a second of it for granted, as a fan you need to cherish every moment. As a Miami Heat fan you know your team is playing next year there is no guarantee that a team will make it to the next World Cup.

2. It isn't a game of ME....In soccer the best player does not win the game its the best team that will always win. Kobe Bryant would never make it in soccer.

1. Brad Lidge does not play Soccer.

David Letterman had a top ten list on the world cup to dmmd

Top Ten Signs You Have World Cup Fever

10. You change your name from Kenny to Pele
9. On tax return you list occupation: "Hooligan"
8. After you successfully toast an English muffin, you rip off your shirt and run around the house
7. Whenever the mailman shows up you scream, 'MAAAAAAAAIIIILLLLLLLLL!"
6. Have a tattoo of Czech striker Pavel Nedved on your ass
5. You replace your hairpiece with chunk of sod from Wembley Stadium
4. Aches, a rash and vomiting - - I'm sorry, those are signs you have Bird Flu
3. In accordance with league standards, you've inflated your pants to 8.5 pounds per square inch
2. Every four years, you walk around in a Brandi Chastain sports bra
1. You're not American
CBS | Late Show Top Ten Archive: June 07, 2006

Agree with you dmmd about passion the soccer players at the world cup have alot more heart and passion then NBA players.

Mr. Leisure said:
MY #1 REASON WHY I LIKE THE WORLD CUP :BECAUSE DMMD POSTED HIS PLAYS AND I MADE MONEY :smokesmal

lol....Thanks, im glad I finished strong sweeping the final 3 bets (not counting the over since I said it was going to be a 2-0 game right number of goals just not in the right order)

dmmd98 said:
10. It's isn't about going into your free agent year strong or holding out for a better contract.

9. At the highest levels soccer is about Pride and Passion for whatever Country that you represent.

8. It's isn't about a city or region its about a Country hosting themselves up on the world's stage.

7. It's truely a World game that stops civil wars and brings people together over a game that is truely much more then just a game.

6. The World Cup is the only sport where people actually remember who came in second. (Can anyone remember who finished 2nd in the 2002 NBA finals still and if one wants to say well there have been 4 NBA finals between 2002-2006 and only one World Cup most people can counter that by easily knowing who finished second in the 1990 World Cup)

5. There is no feeling that can put into words the second before a goal goes in the back of the net and the rush that comes after it.

4. Players care about the game at its highest level. How many times do I read people complain about NBA players saying there not even trying that is never an consideration in soccer each and every player gives it there all

3. You can't take a second of it for granted, as a fan you need to cherish every moment. As a Miami Heat fan you know your team is playing next year there is no guarantee that a team will make it to the next World Cup.

2. It isn't a game of ME....In soccer the best player does not win the game its the best team that will always win. Kobe Bryant would never make it in soccer.

1. Brad Lidge does not play Soccer.

He rips my closer in fantasy bases lidge! OMG

Maybe that's y im last place tho?

:+sports2-

colhoopsman said:
THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS WRONG WITH SOCCER BUT YOU ARE TO BLIND TO ADMIT IT.

Like there are not so many things wrong with every sport??? Did the title of this post say ten reasons why soccer is the best sport in the world? No it didn't. Move on from your dislike from soccer the World Cup is over life for you is back to normal enjoy it inside of hating on every little thing on a message board. I can post a dozen reasons why college hoops sucks since If I wanted too but I don't since at the end of the day whoever likes college basketball will still like it regardless.

Sound of Silence said:
#1) That I only have to put up with that shit on my television once every four years.

We were getting along yesterday SOS. Im sure you could of watched something on the oxygen network while soccer is on.

WELL DM IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO TALK A LITTLE ABOUT SOME OF THE PROBLEMS I SEE IN THE SPORT OF SOCCER I THINK I KNOW ALOT ABOUT SOCCER I PLAYED IN HIGH SCHOOL AND I WATCHED ALOT OF THE WORLD CUP GAMES.HERE IS MY FIRST QUESTION DO YOU HONESTLY THINK THAT THE WORLD CUP OF SOCCER SHOULD END WITH PENALTY KICKS.:+clueless

colhoopsman said:
WELL DM IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO TALK A LITTLE ABOUT SOME OF THE PROBLEMS I SEE IN THE SPORT OF SOCCER I THINK I KNOW ALOT ABOUT SOCCER I PLAYED IN HIGH SCHOOL AND I WATCHED ALOT OF THE WORLD CUP GAMES.HERE IS MY FIRST QUESTION DO YOU HONESTLY THINK THAT THE WORLD CUP OF SOCCER SHOULD END WITH PENALTY KICKS.:+clueless

A) Just to make it clear I never said you didn't know alot about soccer.

B) To you're question.....do I think the games should end in Penalty Kicks. I think Fifa should look into it but going into a sudden death format like hockey for example in some of there youth tournaments to see how that changes the game. The whole sending off one player til there 5 on 5 type idea that won't work what will happen is that teams will send off there best offensive players. Sorry to ramble on if you want a simple yes or no answer. My answer is No but I understand why it's there.

Now my question for you......

Since you said you played soccer in high school and watched alot of the world cup.

Do you

A) Just really hate soccer (which don't get me wrong I can understand)
or
B) In fact like Soccer but are frustrated but some of the rules of the sport?

I admit that the reason I find the sport incredibly boring is likely because I never played and don't understand the nuances of the game. I can respect someone trying to explain to others, as I have to do it often with my football and basketball friends when defending baseball and saying its not just a bunch of overweight, lazy players taking steroids and making way too much money.

I love the passion in soccer, but I think it is more of a result of it being far and away the major sport in those other countries. I don't think it hasn't caught on here because we don't "get it", I think it hasn't caught on here because we've found sports that are far more entertaining.

I think the fact that flops and penalties play such a big role in the sport is a very bad thing. True, there are problems in every sport (travelling and fouls on every play in basketball, holding on every play in football, a moving strikezone in baseball), but none have as big an impact on the final score as flopping and penalties in soccer.

I don't like the clock going up, but that's not really an issue.

I don't like the "arbitrary" penalty time. Technology has advanced to a point that the referee could stop the clock on injuries and other stoppages. As a person casually watching the game, you don't have an exact idea of when the game will be over until the amount of penalty time is announced. There is a simple solution for this, but they don't use it. In every other sport you know exactly when the game will be over, it seems like soccer is the only one where you don't know until the referee announces how much "extra time" there will be.

Penalty kicks are a joke. You might as well flip a coin. All the goalie is doing is guessing one side or the other. I watched the ending yesterday, and what I thought would be very exciting was relatively boring. At least in a hockey shootout to actually score a goal is difficult.... In soccer it's difficult *NOT* to score.

Any sport that has ties has an inherrent flaw in it. People don't watch a game to see a tie.

The sport also needs some kind of animated soccer ball that pops up on the screen and tells me the basics of the sport in a real dumbed down fashion. They should also put a yellow animated "tail" on the ball so it is easier to pickup on the screen.... Kidding, kidding.

Did you watch England vs Protugal SoS?

Can you imagine the pressure at that moment?

Americans will never understand what soccer is about.

Sound of Silence said:
I don't think it hasn't caught on here because we don't "get it", I think it hasn't caught on here because we've found sports that are far more entertaining.

All decent points and i'll elect to not say much about it being easy to score on a penalty shot. In theory and in practice it is easy but under that type of pressure it becomes much harder.

I singled out that above quote not because you are wrong or anything I just wanted to use it as a starting point for my reply. To anyone who really loves a sport or is a die hard about either a sport or team think for a second why is that? Why is there a deep rooting commitment to a team or sport year after year? For 90% of people its simply because that is the sport or team that as a kid connected them with one their parents most like their father.

The second I watched my first soccer game in 1984 (Portugal vs France semi finals of the European Championship....great game bad result) with my dad I was hooked. Now being where im from I would of been hooked anyway but still that connection was on display that day and it carries thru even to today. People have a love for baseball mostly because it was either something you're dad took you too as a kid or something you're parents were able to talk to you about. It created a bond there.

Soccer in the US really doesn't have that few families start around the TV cheering on the New York Red Bulls. Kids in American don't connect by and large with soccer cause there parents have a different sport in which they love so naturally while growing up more often than not the kid is going to develop a fondness for that sport and not soccer since there really isn't alot to cheer for in Soccer. The World Cup is every four years and the MLS is still pretty new compared to all the other major sports (and no I wouldn't call MLS a major sport) so its easy to see why a great deal of Americans don't like soccer since it isn't something they were exposed to as being something entertaining when growing up and by that time most Americans have already developed there sports of choice.

I DONT HATE SOCCER I JUST FIND IT VERY BORING I THINK THE SPORT NEEDS ALOT OF CHANGES BUT THE PEOPLE WHO LOVE SOCCER WILL NEVER MAKE ANY RADICAL CHANGES I DONT LIKE PENALTY KICKS I ENJOY A SIMPLE GIVE AND GO WERE A PLAYER GETS ONE PAST THE GOALIE WITH A LITTLE FLAIR. IM SURE YOU HAVE WATCHED ALOT OF GAMES BUT THE WORLD CUP HAD VERY FEW EXCITING GAMES. LETS JUST LOOK AT NASCAR FOR EXAMPLE THEY HAVE THEIR SUPER BOWL RACE THE FIRST RACE OF THE YEAR AT DAYTONA I WATCH NASCAR ALSO BUT THIS TRACK IS ALSO BORING UNLESS YOU ARE WAITING FOR THE BIG CRASH THE PEOPLE WHO GO TO DAYTONA OR WATCH THE RACE WILL TELL YOU NASCAR IS THE GREATEST BUT MY POINT HERE IS THAT WE ALL KNOW THAT BRISTOL IS TEN TIMES MORE EXCITING IN SOCCER THE BIGGER THE GAME THE MORE BORING IT GETS BECAUSE THEY PLAY NOT TO WIN BUT NOT TO LOSE ALSO ONE MORE QUESTION IS THERE ANYTHING MORE EXCITING THEN OLD DOM AT WILLIAM AND MARY IN HOOPS

The game itself between Old Dom and William and Mary isn't very exciting. The message board after the game when Shrink gives out Old Dom -5 and they only win by 4 well nothing beats the excitement of that.

Excellent reasoning dmmd, and I think you're probably right. I grew up playing/watching baseball, and now I have a love for it... I grew up listening to Springsteen/Neil Diamond/Harry Chapin, and now I have a love for those songs.

As for your PK comment about the pressure... Sure, there's a lot of pressure. But there would also be a lot of pressure if the game was decided by who tied their shoes the fastest -- doesn't mean its entertaining or a worthwhile way to end a game :)

Sound of Silence said:
Excellent reasoning dmmd, and I think you're probably right. I grew up playing/watching baseball, and now I have a love for it... I grew up listening to Springsteen/Neil Diamond/Harry Chapin, and now I have a love for those songs.

As for your PK comment about the pressure... Sure, there's a lot of pressure. But there would also be a lot of pressure if the game was decided by who tied their shoes the fastest -- doesn't mean its entertaining or a worthwhile way to end a game :)

I'm a wise man SOS. I see right thru you and in doing so I will be nice enough not to comment on that last comment and instead will look back fondly of the glory days of this year's World Cup which I watched forever in blue jeans and now all im hoping for as dreams go by praying I see Portugal make it to the 2010 World Cup.

This is for you the funniest SNL skit ever

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cliq6UcgSlk"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cliq6UcgSlk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>