Top 5 Owners in Sports (One Flies Under the Radar)

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows
1. George (Yankees) - End of story. There isn't a better owner in sports. He will spend anything he can to win a title and that has been proven. I wouldn't want anyone else owning my team.

2. John Henry (Red Sox) - Although I hate the Red Sox, they have a great management and ownership. Henry will spend money with anyone, and he's not scared to pay a draft pick. The Red Sox have been winning since he was there.

3. Jerry Reinsdorf (White Sox/Bulls) - He is the reason this debate came to mind. Reinsdorf, I'd guess, has more titles than any owner in sports today; 7 to be exact. Although he doesn't spend money like the Red Sox and Yankee's, he's always been willing to spend if it meant bringing home a title. Reinsdorf took a lot of heat when Jordan left the Bulls, and he was constantly criticized on the South Side of Chicago for "not spending" enough with the White Sox. Call it luck, but he has done everything in his power to keep his winners, winning. Reading this article pretty much puts everything in perspective on Jerry. (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/basketball/bulls/1408639,CST-SPT-joe02.article) Although he's not the most loved owner in sports, you can't argue with his track record.

4. Jerry Jones (Cowboys) - This one will strike up some controversy, but it's tough to argue with his track record. He spends money, and he takes chances. Sometimes, his chances don't pan out but when they do DYNASTIES form. Jerry is a great owner, but hopefully he doesn't become senile like Al Davis.

5. Michael "Mike" Ilitch Sr. (Red Wings) - It's tough to argue with a guy who wins Stanley Cups, spends money, and makes sure there's never a rebuilding period with his team. He would have been higher on this list if he didn't let Scotty Bowman go, but he's still one of the best in sports.

Re: Top 5 Owners in Sports (One Flies Under the Radar)

Jerry Jones is a double edged sword. Sometimes he has more money than sense.

3 and 5 are always under the radar. What Illitch has with the Red Wings is truely amazing. They may have the most talented scouts in all of pro sports. To be able to go to Europe and find the players they do is something.

jwunderdog

EOG Addicted

Put George in any other city and the team is bankrupt.

munson15

I want winners...

Couldn't have said it better myself. I saw him quoted in December when the T.O. shit was hitting the fan (again!) that he didn't mind the controversy, that he is just happy when people are 'talking about the Cowboys.' Makes me believe he is more into making money than winning at this point in his life. That's the difference between him and Al Davis, Al was NEVER about anything but winning. Now that he is shotdown, it's easy to forget how long he had that franchise on top.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Put a lot of owners in New York and they're not willing to lose 30 million in a fiscal year just to win. I agree with this point, but he SPENDS. He's in a good situation, but so are the Cubs. You don't see them spending as much as it takes to win. He wants to win, and that's number 1 for me. To be a great owner you need to be in a good situation, IMO. He's the only owner in sports that would spend like he does in NY.

The Red Wings lost A LOT when they lost Bowman. It seems that he has already started working his magic with the Hawks. They still have to be the only team in hockey that continually drafts guys in rounds 5 and later that turn out to be GREAT.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I agree with you completely, but he WANTS to win. He takes chances and sometimes they don't work, but at least he's taking them. He's involved with a giant soap opera in Dallas, but winning is the most important thing to him.

Why wouldn't Mark Cuban be mentioned? The Mavericks were the laughing stock of the league when he bought it. Very player-friendly owner.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Tom Ricketts

I read a very interesting article that talked about how he wasn't going to spend money for a while. Apparently 50% of the team will be paid for with credit/debt. The debt payments will be more yearly, than the Cubs made last year. That means that he'll have to operate in the red EVERY year if he plans on increasing his payroll.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Why wouldn't Mark Cuban be mentioned? The Mavericks were the laughing stock of the league when he bought it. Very player-friendly owner.

He just missed my list, IMO. He hasn't won anything, but he'll do anything he can to win. I think he's a top 10 owner.

kid44

EOG Dedicated

Mark Antanassio has put the Crew back on the map.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Benson of the Saints

name an owner who is a better dancer

The ol Benson Boogie or whatever the fuck he called it

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

:LMAO

I'm going to save money on that Chris Rock CD and come here for my comedy. Thanks jwunderdog, you saved me a few bucks!

5 star bomb

EOG Master

I read a very interesting article that talked about how he wasn't going to spend money for a while. Apparently 50% of the team will be paid for with credit/debt. The debt payments will be more yearly, than the Cubs made last year. That means that he'll have to operate in the red EVERY year if he plans on increasing his payroll.

Cubs will spend.. They have to, the pressure 2 win on North Side is wayyyyy to important

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Cubs will spend.. They have to, the pressure 2 win on North Side is wayyyyy to important

He won't spend right away. He can't. His family is worth a 1.5 Billion. They will be putting up, according to reports, 450,000,000 of their own money, and the rest will be debt. He'll be losing 10-20 million a year, if he increases the pay-roll after the deal, and he can't afford to lose that for 2-5 years. Most owners don't do that.

I'm not saying the Cubs are going to decrease their pay-roll. It should stay where it is, but the common misconception is that he was going to SPEND a lot. That's not going to happen. Again, I'm just stating facts.

Fuck me. Are you really back already? Is the debt paid in full yet or still working on the payment plan on a whole 300.00?

Cubs won't spend and they won't make the playoffs. St Louis wins the division. Tigers and Cleveland will battle it out and look for the Yanks to actually be a contender this year.

He won't spend right away. He can't. His family is worth a 1.5 Billion. They will be putting up, according to reports, 450,000,000 of their own money, and the rest will be debt. He'll be losing 10-20 million a year, if he increases the pay-roll after the deal, and he can't afford to lose that for 2-5 years. Most owners don't do that.

I'm not saying the Cubs are going to decrease their pay-roll. It should stay where it is, but the common misconception is that he was going to SPEND a lot. That's not going to happen. Again, I'm just stating facts.

You actually just knocked it out of the park. Nice work and nicely put. Thank you.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Timely you are simply wrong... Cubs WILL spend, they have to. Carry on

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Timely you are simply wrong... Cubs WILL spend, they have to. Carry on

They WILL NOT spend more than they are right now. No chance. He doesn't have the money to do that.

Unless they sell the naming rights to Wrigley, which would go for a lot of money, they won't spend more. They need to renovate the stadium, and that's going to cost a shit load, and his yearly payments, for the 450,000,000 that he is borrowing, will be more than the Cubs made last year. That means he would of lost money last year, and unless he sells naming rights (and comes up with other creative marketing plans), he's going to have to stick with a pay-roll similar to the one they have now. Once again, just facts 5.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

They need to renovate the stadium, and that's going to cost a shit load

HUH??? Why do they HAVE to do that? They already did a bunch of improvements not long ago. They sellout basically every single game 41k+ every home game. The money is there, the Cubs will spend. Like I said they HAVE to. The pressure is higher than ever and the fans expect a winning product now more than ever before. They just dont NEED anything major right now, they are coming off a year winning 97 games and added Bradley. Sure they lost Wood and Derosa but the depth and Bradley will outweigh those 2 losses. If the Cubs NEED a SP or something else at the deadline I am confident that Hendry will at least explore some options.... Dont listen to everything the media always says. The Cubs are by no means strapped financially not allowing them to make moves. They have the resources

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I'm talking about Ricketts, NOT The CUBS now. Once again, I'm stating facts here. The media didn't say shit, this was a "business" article not a sports article. Once again, all the facts make sense. The stadium is going to have a lot of upgrades over the next couple of years. If reports are true, and he will be adding more luxury boxes, and what not.

NoNewbieca

EOG Dedicated

Illitch should be higher on the list - although some in Detroit might only nominate him for what he does with the Red Wings and deduct for his job with the Tigers. But his record since taking over for the Wings and running a first class organization that players want to play for is unparalled. First rate, first class. Incidentally, Scotty Bowman left Detroit as opposed to Illitch letting him go.

There are other meddling owners out there like Snyder and Al Davis and Cuban but you need to have success and let the people around you do the job they are paid to do.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

Benson of the Saints

name an owner who is a better dancer

The ol Benson Boogie or whatever the fuck he called it
He's a piece of fukin shit that is 100% about his bottom line and could give a rat's ass about the people who support the Saints or his team's success. I hope he breaks an ankle the next time he does the Benson Boogie.:cheers

mofome

Banned

where are angelos and snyder. probably 6 and 7.

Really, the owner of both evil empires are in there, but Bob Kraft isn't?

Sorry, I think it takes more than being able to throw money at people to be a good owner. I mean, they should make the money available when needed, but two coaches on there because they try and spend a lot of money even though they haven't really taken home a title in years?