Touts -- Legal or No?

Something else I've always wondered and never really gotten a definitive answer on. Is it all grey area? Any case law that went one way or the other?

Basically, can a U.S. resident sell his sports "picks" to other U.S. residents without fear of prosecution?

Ignoring the prosecution side of things, is it possible for that person to turn around and claim his sports handicapping business on his taxes without Uncle Sam knocking on his door?

I mean, I see all of these tout services offering credit card payments -- there's gotta be a paper trail a mile long with those things, gotat think *somebody* would notice.

Anyone actually know one way or the other?

Sr Muny

EOG Enthusiast
YES it is LEAGAL for a person to sell thier plays.

YES it is LEAGAL for a person to sell thier plays.

So does Brandon Lang turn around and report on his taxes that one of his businesses (side or otherwise) is a sports handicapping service?

I gotta imagine the IRS would go over his stuff with a fine tooth comb.

Sr Muny

EOG Enthusiast
My guess would be YES, that any of these HIGH END BULLSHITTERS are giving thier share to Uncle Sam. Sure the numbers are faded.

Sr Muny

EOG Enthusiast
for information purposes only ?2005 Northcoast Sports, Inc.

See that at a lot of these handicappin sites. Imagine that covers any GRAY AREA......

:doh1

LetItRide

EOG Member
Isn't any sports tout guilty of "promotion of gambling" or something of the like? Just gotta think you have balls of steel to let the US Government know what you're doing.

Odds are posted in the newspapers...

They sell thier opinions on which side to pick ATS, and someone buys that information.

dirty

EOG Master
The Bottom line is

What does Posting your opinions have to do with messing with our Constitution??????:doh1

It has nothing to do with Gambling.......People pay you for your Opinions on Certain things.....

I mean Goddamn It happens everyday with Madam Palm Readers and anythying else.....

Damn they sell Pipes at these shit shops ready for Crack and Pot and nothing can be done...

CHALKbreaker

EOG Dedicated
Selling sports picks is LEGAL. However; it MAY vary from state to state. I know that here in Wisconsin, and also in Illinois, it is legal. Most laws say something to the effect that you can not promote gambling, which is basically a joke. That is why you will see many services say "for entertainment purposes only" upon selling their picks.

I do know that many sports services are big red flags to the IRS, and feds. They often figure where you have a sports service you will also have an illegal booking operation, and organized crime. I have heard of a few operations down in Chicago who were raided. Not because of selling sports picks, but strong indications of booking, and IRS violations.