Tua reportedly considering a return

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Risk or reward?

Comes back to Bama only to get injured again and then perhaps really never be the same? Or boost his draft efficiency and gain experience and knowledge staying healthy before turning pro?

Recovery time is about 6 months, which means he'd be more than ready in whichever route he chooses.

kane

EOG master
He's nuts if he goes back to college, another major injury and he's in trouble, even with his current injury he's still projected to go high in the draft

He's dropped in the draft is probably why.

As long as he's in the first round it is not worth it to go back. He has nothing to prove at Bama, it would just be another year of mostly overmatched foes and a game or two of real opportunity to grow. He's going to learn more in training camp than a year at Bama. Someone is going to move up for him if he's not gone by pick 10-12. Rookie scale contract on a QB is just way too valuable in a capped system.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
He says this now. When it comes time to make a final decision we shall see if he sticks to this.

If he doesn't want to go into the draft that is his call. But if he doesn't go into the 2020 Draft if I was him I would NOT go back to Bama and play. I'd take take the year off and do all i can to rehab my leg so that come time for the 2021 Draft he is 100% and can go #2 (Because Trevor Lawrence is a LOCK to go #1)

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated
He says this now. When it comes time to make a final decision we shall see if he sticks to this.

If he doesn't want to go into the draft that is his call. But if he doesn't go into the 2020 Draft if I was him I would NOT go back to Bama and play. I'd take take the year off and do all i can to rehab my leg so that come time for the 2021 Draft he is 100% and can go #2 (Because Trevor Lawrence is a LOCK to go #1)

taking a year off would be the worst of his choices

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I don't know Bama's QB situation, but there is a good chance that someone transfers out if he comes back. That could hurt Bama more down the road.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
If he comes back you can better believe he will have an insurance policy for protection. he isn't that dumb.

My bet is he comes back.

When he says I'm going to announce it next week you know he's going into his doctor and asking how is this going to look to the scouts in March. If he says you will heal enough then he goes pro. If the recovery isn't coming along fast enough he will return.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
USA Today projected Tua as a top five pick the other day.

5. Dolphins — Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama: Maybe Miami didn't need to "tank for Tua" after all. The preseason favorite for the first overall pick hasn't even announced whether he will enter the draft after dislocating his hip in November, and it will be impossible to pin down where his stock stands until more information about his prognosis is available. So long as Miami doesn't have substantial reason to worry about his long-term outlook, however, the team shouldn't balk at pouncing on Tagovailoa. With remarkable accuracy and composure under pressure, he still sizes up as a franchise cornerstone.

I’ve got Tua fatigue and hope he enters the draft so he can have a Sam Bradford type of career on the injured list while collecting millions

kane

EOG master
USA Today projected Tua as a top five pick the other day.

5. Dolphins — Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama: Maybe Miami didn't need to "tank for Tua" after all. The preseason favorite for the first overall pick hasn't even announced whether he will enter the draft after dislocating his hip in November, and it will be impossible to pin down where his stock stands until more information about his prognosis is available. So long as Miami doesn't have substantial reason to worry about his long-term outlook, however, the team shouldn't balk at pouncing on Tagovailoa. With remarkable accuracy and composure under pressure, he still sizes up as a franchise cornerstone.

This is what I've been hearing down here as well, that the Fins would take him at #5 and have him sit behind Fitz next year. This would accomplish two things, first it allows Tua plenty of time to get healthy, and it also allows Tua to be mentored by Fitz. Of course you never know what the team is thinking, but I know Miami really likes Tua's skill set, so unless another team trades up to take him, I think this is how it plays out, provided of course Tua leaves Bama, and if he knows he's a top 5 pick, he'd be crazy to return to school, it wouldn't make any sense. Another thing the Dolphins like about Tua is his character, they're trying to build a team with character, but no characters, they don't want to be the Browns, and everyone who knows Tua say he's the real deal off the field, a great teammate and a great kid. My only concern would be his injury history, he's been banged up quite a bit in college and I would worry that continues in the pros, but if the Dolphins ended up with him I'd be happy

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Forget about the combine too. He wont take part in that.

No team is going going to risk drafting him early with all the chaos now. This is probably one of the more toughest decisions a player had to make.

kane

EOG master
Tua just announced he's going pro. In other news, Dolphins management just let out a collective cheer

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!
That's the only concern, he has a long injury history in college, but I think taking him is worth the risk
Regarding the Dolphins, yes because they do have a lot of picks stockpiled. Probably a tougher call with only one high draft pick

kane

EOG master
Good point, plus he can recover and get up to speed while Fitz leads the team one more year.

That's the plan, to have Tua sit next year and get healthy while also being mentored by Fitz. Of course everything the Dolphins do turns to shit, so something will go wrong with their plan, don't know what it will be, but something will go wrong

Tua will be a better NFL QB than Burrow. Much better, health permitting.

I disagree but curious to hear why you think so? I was so impressed with Burrow this season and seeing him regularly go through read projections which is extremely rare to see even the best college QB’s do. Besides the health issue never seen him do much to impress me during the rare times he’s faced pressure.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
I disagree but curious to hear why you think so? I was so impressed with Burrow this season and seeing him regularly go through read projections which is extremely rare to see even the best college QB’s do. Besides the health issue never seen him do much to impress me during the rare times he’s faced pressure.
Just don't think Burrow does or has any special quality. Not great arm, not great mobility. When looking at NFL QB's, I'm usually more impressed with projectable qualities that can improve. Burrow doesn't strike me as having that. He's good, but is he gonna get better?What is special about him compared to other guys? And how will he play when things break down, when he has to improvise. That's what makes a great NFL QB. That's why I knew Mahomes was gonna be great, that Lamar would ultimately be great(quicker than I thought). DeShaun showed that in college, and I thought he would be great also. Admittedly, I don't watch all that much NCAAF and focus more on this stuff as the draft gets closer, so my opinion of Burrow could change as I watch more stuff on him through the draft process. And my opinion could be dead wrong. I thought Leaf was gonna be better than Manning coming out. :sick:

Just don't think Burrow does or has any special quality. Not great arm, not great mobility. When looking at NFL QB's, I'm usually more impressed with projectable qualities that can improve. Burrow doesn't strike me as having that. He's good, but is he gonna get better?What is special about him compared to other guys? And how will he play when things break down, when he has to improvise. That's what makes a great NFL QB. That's why I knew Mahomes was gonna be great, that Lamar would ultimately be great(quicker than I thought). DeShaun showed that in college, and I thought he would be great also. Admittedly, I don't watch all that much NCAAF and focus more on this stuff as the draft gets closer, so my opinion of Burrow could change as I watch more stuff on him through the draft process. And my opinion could be dead wrong. I thought Leaf was gonna be better than Manning coming out. :sick:

Seriously what have you been watching? All Burrow does is improvise and make unreal plays. Because he doesn't send it in there with a bazooka maybe it's not pretty but holy shit that guy makes perfect throws. He's got decent talent around him, but nothing like what Tua or Hurts was throwing to. Those guys are making plays because Burrow is throwing it exactly where it needs to be.

Dont want to put pressure on him because the Bengals are where all hope and talent goes to die, but he's got a lot of Brady in his prime skills. Not going to beat you running, but he will use his legs to buy time and then figure out where those extra seconds made you lose coverage. That's a skill you almost never see at any level.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Seriously what have you been watching? All Burrow does is improvise and make unreal plays. Because he doesn't send it in there with a bazooka maybe it's not pretty but holy shit that guy makes perfect throws. He's got decent talent around him, but nothing like what Tua or Hurts was throwing to. Those guys are making plays because Burrow is throwing it exactly where it needs to be.

Dont want to put pressure on him because the Bengals are where all hope and talent goes to die, but he's got a lot of Brady in his prime skills. Not going to beat you running, but he will use his legs to buy time and then figure out where those extra seconds made you lose coverage. That's a skill you almost never see at any level.

since he grew up in Athens Ohio, he was probably a bengals fan. I think he would embrace playing for them where most others wouldn’t.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
Burrow was super impressive last night against a quality D. Probably his best showing as far as his NFL prospects are concerned. That being said, I just saw Urban Meyer on Cowherd. He was asked what NCAAF and NFL QB he compares Burrow to. He said Alex Smith. He was saying it as a compliment, noting how Alex was the #1 draft choice, etc. But it's feint praise and again points to the potential low NFL ceiling Burrow has.

kane

EOG master
Burrow was super impressive last night against a quality D. Probably his best showing as far as his NFL prospects are concerned. That being said, I just saw Urban Meyer on Cowherd. He was asked what NCAAF and NFL QB he compares Burrow to. He said Alex Smith. He was saying it as a compliment, noting how Alex was the #1 draft choice, etc. But it's feint praise and again points to the potential low NFL ceiling Burrow has.

Alex Smith doesn't have the arm Burrow has, Smith is/was a game manager, Burrow is much more than that, I think he'll be great at the next level