United States could be sending everyone a dime

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
LOL - really like the comments about won money/found money/free money. Tax refunds may fit in here someplace.

In the female world - my wife and daughters would rather have their “OWN” money. Or in other words money they have earned themselves. That money does not have restrictions and can be spent without criticism.

So, if I give my wife a $100 it is not as good???

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Let’s hope the Treasury Secretary doesn’t line his pockets and those of big corporations...and you might be on the alert of those who make 77,000 a year getting more than those who make 30,000 a year...there are always loopholes in these sort of things....the rich always seem to get richer and the poor get screwed...

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Was originally prposed to be $1,200 for those who earned any salary less than $75k and $1k between $75-100k. With all of the delays and numerous cooks spoiling the broth over the past week and a half, it's anybody's guess.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Let’s hope the Treasury Secretary doesn’t line his pockets and those of big corporations...and you might be on the alert of those who make 77,000 a year getting more than those who make 30,000 a year...there are always loopholes in these sort of things....the rich always seem to get richer and the poor get screwed...
Personally I'm not bailing out cruise ships.

blueline

EOG Master
well we'll well :

A provision in the bill prohibits businesses controlled by the president, vice president, members of Congress, and heads of executive departments from receiving loans or investments from U.S. Treasury programs. The prohibition also applies to their children, spouses, and in-laws, according to a summary from the office of Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.).

Agree. Non-essential to the economy like the airline industry.

Problem is where does this sort of picking winnings and losers end?

I agree the cruise industry is probably a real loser for us to support because most employees are foreigners and their business model is mostly to drive tourism spending to foreign countries. Their ships are largely built in foreign countries too so its one industry that care has to be given in terms of should they get much support. I'm still wondering when someone will step up and say stop focusing on bailing out companies and just focus on saving jobs because workers without checks cutting back on their spending is what will cause and strengthen the recession.

Sol Diablo

House of Heat
I agree the cruise industry is probably a real loser for us to support because most employees are foreigners and their business model is mostly to drive tourism spending to foreign countries. Their ships are largely built in foreign countries too so its one industry that care has to be given in terms of should they get much support. I'm still wondering when someone will step up and say stop focusing on bailing out companies and just focus on saving jobs because workers without checks cutting back on their spending is what will cause and strengthen the recession.

Agree.

blueline

EOG Master
When will you get your check? Will you qualify?

Here’s what we know so far.

When will I get my stimulus check?

No exact date for the delivery of the one-time payments has been released.

“As soon as Congress passes this, we will get this out in three weeks,” Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said last week.

But in an interview Wednesday morning with CNN, Sen. Chuck Schumer said: “I think the president said that he would have it out by April 6.”

If you’re applying for unemployment benefits, relief may come even quicker. The bill would give an extra $600 per week for four months, a real lifeline for those who have lost their jobs.

Will I qualify to get a stimulus check?

If you earn too much money, you won’t qualify.

Individuals are eligible for the full amount if they have adjusted gross income of less than $75,000 a year. The payment is reduced for singles earning up to $99,000. If you earn more than $99,000, you get no benefit.

For married couples who file a joint tax return, you get the full amount if your adjusted gross income is less than $150,000. If you earn up to $198,000, you will get a partial payment. Married couples who earn more than $198,000 get no payment at all.

How much of a stimulus check will I get?

According to the current version of the bill, individuals would get the lesser of $1,200 or their net income tax liability but not less than $600.

If you are married filing taxes jointly, you’d get the lesser of $2,400 or your net income tax liability, but not less than
$1,200.

Parents would get an additional $500 for each “qualifying child.”

Will my kids get a stimulus check too?

The bill allows for the extra $500 per child to be paid to taxpayers who claim the child as a dependent. If your college student files his own tax return, it appears he won’t get a payment if you claim him as a dependent.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
At least the workers who are laid off temporarily or for good get some relief. Thats big for them.

Otherwise the crime rate would have gone up, Im assuming.

waco

EOG Dedicated
It will be voted down. There will always be somebody who likes to get his or her name in the paper just like Rand Paul

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
What about a 20 year old college student - files on their own - made 10k. Is there a minimum dollar somebody has to make?

Sol Diablo

House of Heat
What about a 20 year old college student - files on their own - made 10k. Is there a minimum dollar somebody has to make?

We are in a similar situation with a 19 yr old college student. I doubt she made 10k last year but probably around 5k-ish. We claimed her as a dependent. So I would imagine we would get the $500 for her. Not sure if she will also get something? I'd rather her get the $1,200 or whatever. That would help her out a ton more than the $500 would help us.

lastyle7

EOG Veteran
We are in a similar situation with a 19 yr old college student. I doubt she made 10k last year but probably around 5k-ish. We claimed her as a dependent. So I would imagine we would get the $500 for her. Not sure if she will also get something? I'd rather her get the $1,200 or whatever. That would help her out a ton more than the $500 would help us.

According to the rules since you claimed her as a dependent she unfortunately would not qualify for the $1200

The stimulus check amount for 2019 is adults would get $1,200 each (so $2,400 for couples filing jointly) and children $500 each (children are qualifying children according to IRS rules claimed in the household under 17 years old). The benefit would start to phase out at a rate of $5 for every additional $100 in income.

You also cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.

The benefit phase out starts at:
  • $75,000 in adjusted gross income for singles
  • $112,500 for heads of household
  • $150,000 for married couples filing jointly
  • Completely phase out at $99,000 for singles and $198,000 for couples (with no children)

Last edited:

lastyle7

EOG Veteran
For those who receive SS, SSDI or SSI and didn't file a tax return in 2018 or 2019 see below:

For Those On Social Security, SSDI, or SSI
For those on Social Security as part of retirement or through the Social Security Disability Insurance program can have their Social Security Administration data used directly to claim the stimulus check - no tax return will be required.
It appears the final version of the bill will also include payments to those whose income comes entirely from non-taxable benefits, such as SSI benefits.

Bushay

NHL Expert
Cant wait for Nancy to get it. And she will, Voodoo is too strong!
Well, this isn’t death but a close 2nd. Those “sick” individuals you spoke of in the other thread just bit your ass a 2nd time today. Nice work. All in a day I guess huh?

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
unemployment numbers are worse than anticipated by millions.

yet the market is up 1100 right now.

when does this rubber band snap back to reality.