Universalist's NHL Thread

universalist

EOG Dedicated
February 18, 2020
7:08 p.m.

Columbus Blue Jackets (30-18-12) at Philadelphia Flyers (32-20-7)
Game Winner
Philadelphia Flyers @ -150
1.00 unit

I'm tempted by Columbus and the plus money, but the fact is that the Blue Jackets are sliding right now and that’s not good when you have to go on the road and take on a Flyers team that’s been extremely tough at home this season. I just think that the Flyers are the team in somewhat better form here and have been really good on home ice. I’ll lay the juice with the Flyers here.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

7:00 p.m.

Toronto Maple Leafs @ Pittsburgh Penguins
Game Winner
Pittsburgh Penguins @ -137
1.00 unit

Even as a Leafs homer, I’ve been trying to find an angle that makes sense to take Toronto here but the fact is that the Leafs looked bad for most of that game against Buffalo. Maybe Frederik Andersen hasn’t been 100% since coming back from injury. Pittsburgh continues to be a model of consistency in the NHL. The Penguins just keep rolling along, winning games left and right no matter what adversity’s gotten in their way. I just think the Penguins are the team in the better place right now. I’ll lay the juice with the Penguins at home here.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
8:00 p.m.

Carolina Hurricanes (33-21-4) at Nashville Predators (29-22-7)
Game Winner
Nashville Predators @ -125
1.00 unit

The Carolina Hurricanes have won six of the last seven meetings against the Predators but they've been rough on the road as of late. The defense is starting to slip a little bit. The Nashville Predators are coming off back to back impressive wins over the Blues and are currently enjoying their best stretch of the season. It has thrown themselves back into the playoff race. I'm not stepping in front of the Predators. I'm certainly not backing the Canes on the road.Take the cheap price with Nashville.

universalist

EOG Dedicated
February 19, 2020

8:38 p.m.
Arizona Coyotes @ Dallas Stars
Game Winner
Dallas Stars @ -160
1.00 unit

The Arizona Coyotes have fallen apart over the last month and aren't a team I'm trying to get behind on the road or in the underdog role. The Dallas Stars are back on one of their hot streaks and should like their chances here given that they've won nine of the last 10 meetings against the Coyotes. These teams seem to be heading in opposite directions and the Coyotes are starting to show their true colors of not being quite there yet. I'll take the Stars and the somewhat reasonable price, as you can argue they should be priced much steeper. (This review is the opinion of the writer "Randy’s Pick" associated with Pick Dawgz)
----------------------------------------------
Minnesota Wild @ Vancouver Canucks
Game Winner
Vancouver Canucks @ -135
1.00 unit

The Minnesota Wild have won three of the last four meetings against the Canucks, so I considered the plus money here, especially with the Canucks struggling to close out games over the last two weeks. However, the Vancouver Canucks have been absolute money on their home ice and have been kind to bettors in the favorite role. Even with this current losing stretch, the Canucks are still the eighth most profitable team in the sport. I'll take the reasonable price and the Vancouver Canucks at home. (This review is the opinion of the writer "Randy’s Pick" associated with Pick Dawgz)
Florida Panthers @ Anaheim Ducks
Game Winner
Florida Panthers @ -135
1.00 unit

The Minnesota Wild have won three of the last four meetings against the Canucks, so I considered the plus money here, especially with the Canucks struggling to close out games over the last two weeks. However, the Vancouver Canucks have been absolute money on their home ice and have been kind to bettors in the favorite role. Even with this current losing stretch, the Canucks are still the eighth most profitable team in the sport. I'll take the reasonable price and the Vancouver Canucks at home.
(This review is the opinion of the writer "Randy’s Pick" associated with Pick Dawgz)

universalist

EOG Dedicated
February 22, 2020
8:08 PM

Tampa Bay Lightning @ Arizona Coyotes
Game Winner
Tampa Bay Lightning @ -170
2 units

The plus money with Arizona is intriguing but the problem for the Coyotes is that they just get in their own way. It finds ways to lose hockey games lately. The defense doesn’t show up, and when the D does hold up their end like it did against the Blues, the Coyotes get shut out. Inconsistencies like that won’t work against Tampa Bay, as the Bolts will be eager to start a new winning streak. It is playing as well as any team in the league right now. I’ll side with Tampa Bay. (This review is the opinion of the writer Chris associated with Pick Dawgz)

Last edited:

universalist

EOG Dedicated
2/23/20
5:08 PM
NHL Lines

San Jose Sharks @ New York Islanders
Spread
New York Islanders -1.5 @ +130
2.00 units

The San Jose Sharks continue to come up small in the underdog role, and now they're on the end of a back to back, which is something else they've struggled with this season. The New York Islanders are starting to show signs of getting things back on track, and they've played their best recent hockey by far on their home ice. I'll take a shot here with the Islanders, and I'll side with the PL for added value. (This review is the opinion of the writer Randy associated with Pick Dawgz)
--------------------------------------------------------

2/23/20
3:08 PM
NHL Lines

Chicago Blackhawks @ Dallas Stars
Game Winner
Dallas Stars @ -190
2.00 units

Dallas will bounce back with a strong effort at home against Chicago following its embarrassing 5-1 loss to the St Louis Blues on Friday. The Stars have won five of their last seven overall and six of their last nine versus an opponent from the Central Division. Chicago on the other hand has lost seven of his last nine overall and five of its last six on the road.
(This review is the opinion of the Picks and Parlays.net)

universalist

EOG Dedicated
2/24/20
7:08 PM
NHL Lines

Ottawa Senators @ Columbus Blue Jackets
Game Winner
Columbus Blue Jackets @ -220

Let us just face it that Ottawa is awful. I am tempted to go with the -1.5 Columbus here but I am not sure that Columbus is going to play it's way out of it's slump tonight. They may well do that but I am going with the short money tonight with the money line. to pick up a few sure dollars.

universalist

EOG Dedicated
2/25/20
NHL Lines

Calgary Flames @ Boston Bruins
Game Winner
Boston Bruins @ -220
1 unit
===============================

2/25/20
NHL Lines

Toronto Maple Leafs @ Tampa Bay Lightning
Game Winner
Tampa Bay Lightning @ -190

2/25/20
NHL Lines

Chicago Blackhawks @ St Louis Blues
Game Winner
St Louis Blues @ -200
1 unit

2/25/20
NHL Lines

Ottawa Senators @ Nashville Predators
Spread
Nashville Predators -1.5 @ -115
1 unit

universalist

EOG Dedicated
2/26/20
10:38 PM
NHL Lines

Pittsburgh Penguins @ Los Angeles Kings
Game Winner
Pittsburgh Penguins @ -200
1 unit

Pittsburgh is 23-11 in their last 34 games overall and 8-2 in their last 10 games against the Pacific division while the over is 4-0 in their last 4 games against the Western Conference. Los Angeles is 2-7 in it's 9 home games and 30-61 in their last 91 games overall while the under is 5-1 in it's 6 games against the Metropolitan division. Pittsburgh is 4-1 in the last 5 meetings between these two teams. The plus money with Los Angeles is tempting given that the Kings play their best at home and Pittsburgh’s allowed 14 goals in their last 3 games. However, the Penguins are the only team here that’s going anywhere come playoff time. I just think that the Penguins need this more, aside from the fact that Pittsburgh is too good to keep losing games the way they have been. I’ll side with Pittsburgh.

Last edited:

universalist

EOG Dedicated
2/27/20
7:38 PM
NHL Lines

Minnesota Wild @ Detroit Red Wings
Game Winner
Minnesota Wild @ -205
1 unit

Minnesota is 5-2 in it's last 7 road games and 7-2 in it's last 9 Thursday games while the over is 4-0-1 in it's last 5 games against the Eastern Conference. Detroit is 2-7 in it's last 9 home games and 12-49 in it's last 61 games overall while the under is 3-1-2 in it's last 6 games against the Western Conference. Minnesota is 18-37-3 in the last 58 meetings between these two teams and 8-20-1 in the last 29 meetings between these two teams in Detroit.

The Wild have historically struggled against the Red Wings, but this is a historically bad Detroit team that just can’t find wins against any team not named the Montreal Canadiens. Minnesota’s actually been fairly decent on the road as of late, and Detroit just can’t get a break regardless of where they play. I’ll side with Minnesota.
===================================
2/27/20
NHL Lines

Dallas Stars @ Boston Bruins
Game Winner
Boston Bruins @ -175
1 unit

Dallas is 5-1 in it's last 6 games as a road underdog and 7-2 in it's last 9 games overall while the under is 4-1 in it's last 5 games against a team with a winning record. Boston is 11-3 in it's last 14 games overall and 79-38 in it's last 117 home games while the under is 11-5 in their last 16 games as a favorite. The road team is 10-3 in the last 13 meetings between these two teams.

The Boston Bruins and the Dallas Stars are actually a fairly evenly matched team. Both teams are having very successful seasons, Also, both teams are likely to make it to the playoffs, and both teams are just about lights out defensively, overall. The Bruins have one major advantage, though, and that’s it's offensive production. Looking at the teams’ goals scored per game, the Bruins are ranked 8th in the league with 3.28. Meanwhile, Dallas is 24th in the league with just 2.68. While they are similar in many respects, the Bruins do have a slight edge in both it's goals scored, as well as it's desperation. The Stars are on a two-game winning streak, which is a good sign for them, but the Bruins are bound to get more motivation and desire to come back in a big way from it's two game losing streak.

universalist

EOG Dedicated
2/28/20
10:08 PM
NHL Lines

Pittsburgh Penguins @ Anaheim Ducks
Game Winner
Pittsburgh Penguins @ -180

• Stake
  • Potential Return

The plus money is worth a look with Anaheim at home, but the Ducks have had issues with sustaining success and stringing wins together. Pittsburgh is struggling and I’m not normally trying to lay juice with teams on four-game losing skids, but there’s no denying that the Penguins are too good to keep losing like this and I think that the Pens bounce back here against a Ducks team with nothing much more than pride to play for at this point.
===================================

2/28/20
NHL Lines

Minnesota Wild @ Columbus Blue Jackets
Game Winner
Minnesota Wild @ +105

• Stake
  • Potential Return
I get that the Wild haven’t been all that great on the road but the Wild have been playing a lot better than Columbus lately, and I’m not crazy about having to lay juice with the Blue Jackets who have lost 9 of their last 10 games, even at home and with a rest advantage. I just think there’s a lot of value to be had with Minnesota who didn’t have to exhaust a ton of energy against Detroit on Thursday, so I’ll take a stab at the Wild and the plus money here.

universalist

EOG Dedicated
2/29/20
NHL Lines

Detroit Red Wings @ Ottawa Senators
Game Winner
Ottawa Senators @ -165

Don’t look now, but Ottawa is actually showing some signs of life and that they can play competent hockey at home. I’m still not sure what to say about Detroit in all honesty, as like I’ve said, they can barely win against anyone not named the Montreal Canadiens. Ottawa hasn’t been great in their own right, but the Senators play their best by far at home and I’ll take my chances with Ottawa to pick up the win
================================
2/29/20
1:08 PM
NHL Lines

Boston Bruins @ New York Islanders
Game Winner
Boston Bruins @ -145

I considered the Isles as a mild home dog here, but the problem is that New York is stumbling right now and have struggled to step up in competition as of late as the Isles have been getting killed in the underdog role as of late. Boston’s just been playing the much better hockey side by side, and when you add in the amount of success the Bruins have had against the Islanders in recent years, the price, even on the road, isn’t that bad. I’ll lay the juice with Boston in this one.

universalist

EOG Dedicated
3/1/20
NHL Lines

Washington Capitals @ Minnesota Wild
Game Winner
Washington Capitals @ -125
1.00 unit

The road team has won seven of the last 10 meetings between the Capitals and Wild, and the Caps have been on the winning side in seven of the last eight of those meetings. It's only a matter of time before the Capitals get out of this funk, and as long as we're getting these cheap prices with them, they're a hard club to pass up. Given the one-sided history between these teams, I'll side with the Capitals and a cheap price.
===========================

3/1/20
4:08 PM
NHL Lines

Calgary Flames @ Florida Panthers
Game Winner
Calgary Flames @ +100
1.00 unit

Florida is favored because they’re at home, I guess, but that’s 6 losses in a row for the Panthers at home after falling to Chicago on Saturday. Calgary may have expended a lot of energy against the Lightning, but the Flames are still rock solid on the road and have been well above .500 since the middle of November away from home. I’ll take the Flames at even money here.

Last edited:

universalist

EOG Dedicated
3/2/20
NHL Lines

Colorado Avalanche @ Detroit Red Wings
Spread
Colorado Avalanche -1.5 @ -120
1.00 unit

Part of me wants to take a shot with Detroit and the plus money but then I remember it’s Detroit and I want no part of the Red Wings. I mean Detroit is now 11-47-5 against teams that aren’t Montreal, and I keep beating that note into the ground as it just baffles me how a professional team can be this bad. Colorado’s rolling right now and are looking like a team that’s primed and ready for the late season playoff push and I think it keeps that momentum going with a big win here so I’ll side with the Avs on the puck line.
===========================

3/2/20
NHL Lines

Edmonton Oilers @ Nashville Predators
Game Winner
Nashville Predators @ -130
1.00 unit

The Edmonton Oilers have had issues with consistency lately and can't string wins together Now it is playing on the road against an Oilers team that's won seven of the last 10 meetings against them. The Nashville Predators are enjoying one of it's best stretches of the season and it's usually one of the toughest teams in the league at home this time of year. Because of the inconsistency of the Oilers and the history between these two teams, I'll side with the Preds at home and the cheap price.

universalist

EOG Dedicated
3/3/20
10:38 PM
NHL Lines

Toronto Maple Leafs @ San Jose Sharks
Game Winner
Toronto Maple Leafs @ -155
1 unit

The Toronto Maple Leafs are improving it's playoff odds as it's start to rack up the points on a more consistent basis. It should like their chances here against a poor Sharks squad that they've beaten four straight times. The San Jose Sharks continue to struggle defensively and haven't provided much value in the underdog role this season. I'll side with the hot Toronto Maple Leafs and the reasonable price.

universalist

EOG Dedicated
3/4/20
NHL Lines

Philadelphia Flyers @ Washington Capitals
Game Winner
Philadelphia Flyers @ +135
1 unit
=================================
3/4/20
8:38 PM