Update on hcSkip

hcskip

EOG Addicted
Copied from my FB post:

Today marks Day 50 of what I have kindly called, “100 Days of Hell,” which is my estimated critical-recovery period for my broken leg and arm. Many thanks to everyone who has given me advice, regaled me with phone calls, letters, food, words of encouragement and offers of piggy-back rides until I’m officially (and literally!) back on my feet again.

The pain management issue, with a notable exception, seems to have moved on. No real lingering pain in my leg at this point, and it appears to be healing nicely. Quite a bit of numbness around my ankle and foot, but each day seems to show improvement there. Also, there was a lot of swelling in that same area, and that’s slowly subsiding. The skin where my leg bones attempted to make a hasty exit appears to have almost completely healed, with only minor scarring. At this point I can only hope that the bone cement does its job and I’ll be able to start putting weight on that leg in mid-December, as expected.

It’s all still a bit stiff, but each day seems to be getting better. I’ve stopped wearing the aircast boot in the house so I can focus on improving flexibility.

My right arm is a slightly different matter. My PT has pointed out to me that the shoulder area permits more movement in different directions than any other part of the body, and so recovery requires patience and carefully working to recover flexibility first, then strength. The flexibility is coming along, though there’s a lot of work left to do. There is a part of my shoulder that hurts with certain motions, and it’s PROBABLY due to where the humerus (upper arm bone) broke near my shoulder blade. That’s a conversation I’ll be having with the doctor after my next set of x-rays, scheduled for next week.

The pain exception is in my arm – it’s almost constant, a dull soreness particularly if I try to move it under its own power. The Tramadol I’m taking now only takes the edge off. Now, it may just be my fault – I’m typing with it (though I use my left arm to position it on the keyboard), and there are just times when I need a second arm to do simple things. I guess I just need to keep deliberate movements to a minimum.

I’m still in the wheelchair, and still sleeping in the solarium daybed. Normally I’m a sound sleeper, but I have yet to sleep more than a couple hours at a time, mainly due to the arm pain. My next doctor’s appointment is Monday, and I’ll learn if I can graduate to crutches (given my arm, doubtful), or a knee scooter.

Anyway, that’s the update. Thanks again for your support!

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
YIKES!

Sorry to hear about all this but having had both rotator cuffs done - I know what you are going thru and how hard it is to do things you want to do. It will get better. It won't be easy but it will. Are you do "hydrotherapy" when you can do stuff in a pool? I did it and it really helped.

You will get better. It will just take more time than you want it to take

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Glad you seem to be over the pain in your leg. The stiffness will continue to subside.

You went through a major surgery though with your arm, but as winky said it may take longer to heal that procedure. At least you are on the road to recovery. Continued success and with each progressing day you will be closer. Thanks for keeping us all posted.

hcskip

EOG Addicted
YIKES!

Sorry to hear about all this but having had both rotator cuffs done - I know what you are going thru and how hard it is to do things you want to do. It will get better. It won't be easy but it will. Are you do "hydrotherapy" when you can do stuff in a pool? I did it and it really helped.

You will get better. It will just take more time than you want it to take

Yeah, I'm not the patient type. That's why I gamble. LOL

I'm interested in hydrotherapy, just waiting to be cleared to put my leg in the water. Everything is healed up at this point- all wounds closed up - so I'll check that out soon.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Crutches or a knee scooter?

Terrible options.

Keep healing, HCSKIP.

The year 2020 cannot end soon enough.

Only 50 days left in the "Year from Hell."

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Yeah, I'm not the patient type. That's why I gamble. LOL

I'm interested in hydrotherapy, just waiting to be cleared to put my leg in the water. Everything is healed up at this point- all wounds closed up - so I'll check that out soon.

I did not know that. Now that all wounds have been closed you should be able to go into the pool and once you do your progress will be much more rapid since doing stuff in the pool is so wonderful to do

hcskip

EOG Addicted
I would probably stick with Tylenol / Motrin if I could only get through this horrible arm ache.

hcskip

EOG Addicted
I went to the surgeon back on Monday for my followup - he was actually amazed at how fast my skin had healed around my leg with minimal scarring (I credit Vitamin D and being out in the sun a lot in August). My foot still feels like it's wrapped in plastic and a bit swollen, but I'm cleared to start putting up to 50% weight on it. I'm a little nervous about the bone cement at the bottom of my tibia and what that means as I start working on walking again, but one step at a time. (Ahem.)

My shoulder is improving - now my pain is tied to how much I move it around, with some positions excruciating. The surgeon was confident that I will recover most, if not all of my original movement capability. I'm skeptical at this point. HOWEVER ---

Per Winkyduck's suggestion, and me being finally cleared - I started taking hot baths with Epson salts, and it does help A LOT. My shoulder gets a lot more flexible and the stretching routines aren't nearly as daunting afterwards. So, any of you suffering from shoulder or joint injuries - keep Winky's suggestion in mind.

pete mcmeat

EOG Senior Member
is this some kind of joke thread......are you really on a gambling forum crying about shoulder pain....and posters are replying

you can't make this shit up...if you presented this to a movie producer they'd throw you out for pitching such a far fetched idea...

bad enuff we had to hear about winky's stupid trips to th hospital for 2yrs but at least he had cancer....you have a fvcking bum shoulder.....cry to your gay lover not us

hcskip

EOG Addicted
is this some kind of joke thread......

Frankly, pete, GFY.

This post was a followup on my 2-story fall, resulting in compound leg fracture and broken/dislocated arm, posted back in September. Members here have been helpful with recovery suggestions and have asked for updates. Maybe they care because I'm among the minority of cappers here who post more wins than losses, I don't know. UNLIKE YOU.

I'm sure there's a block feature somewhere if it bothers you.

Last edited:

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I went to the surgeon back on Monday for my followup - he was actually amazed at how fast my skin had healed around my leg with minimal scarring (I credit Vitamin D and being out in the sun a lot in August). My foot still feels like it's wrapped in plastic and a bit swollen, but I'm cleared to start putting up to 50% weight on it. I'm a little nervous about the bone cement at the bottom of my tibia and what that means as I start working on walking again, but one step at a time. (Ahem.)

My shoulder is improving - now my pain is tied to how much I move it around, with some positions excruciating. The surgeon was confident that I will recover most, if not all of my original movement capability. I'm skeptical at this point. HOWEVER ---

Per Winkyduck's suggestion, and me being finally cleared - I started taking hot baths with Epson salts, and it does help A LOT. My shoulder gets a lot more flexible and the stretching routines aren't nearly as daunting afterwards. So, any of you suffering from shoulder or joint injuries - keep Winky's suggestion in mind.

I had my right Rotator Cuff done in 2011 - the Left in 2012

I had to wait for the "wound" to heal and close but once it did I was in the pool multiple times a week. I would pretend like I was throwing a football while my shoulder and arm were underwater and it helped immensely.

I did not tell you to do something no one else has ever done. Hydrotherapy is advocated by most because of the impact it makes and the fact doing so underwater helps get you back t normal sooner. People who damage legs run in the pool far sooner than they can "on land"

MrTop

EOG Master
I like hearing it... Kane's colonoscopy was the favorite IMO cause i was getting it the same day.. what are the odds of that?

MrTop

EOG Master
I got another colonoscopy today, App St was covering with a minute to play, then they threw a pick 6 to stick it in me

it does happen if we play enough games. sad but true...i lost my first game... winning game 2.. iowa.. will see how it goes

hcskip

EOG Addicted
I did not tell you to do something no one else has ever done. Hydrotherapy is advocated by most because of the impact it makes and the fact doing so underwater helps get you back t normal sooner. People who damage legs run in the pool far sooner than they can "on land"

True, but neither my surgeon nor my PT had suggested it. So, thanks agaiin!