USA-Japan [In-Match Thread]

Mr. Smith

EOG Master
Re: USA-Japan

they played twice just before the World Cup. Both were on ESPN and I watched. Japan looked good, but flawed. Seemed like total also rans. 2-0 2-0

Also played in May in Portugal USA beat Japan 2-1

Japan is a good team and do most things really well. In those 2 games though, they were awful when they got some scoring chances and their goalie looked suspect. Their goalie is also short and USA is a big strong team. Against short goalies they tend to shoot high and look to get headers from crosses. Kinda self explanatory why and it does work.

I'm really surprised they have done so well. USA must be pinching themselves especially since USA is 0-2 this year vs Sweden.

Germany is the one team that is a lot like USA, very good and big strong and Japan beat Germany, so its far from hopeless for them

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

Japan was in disarray during those matches due to the nuclear disaster. They couldn't train properly as they had no electricity at night. I'm just saying Japan is at a higher level now than they were then.

Can't compare this Japan team to the one from earlier in the year though.

I still think USA has a GIANT advantage in the air and at keeper.
USA playing Japan looks like a junior high team playing an adult team.
But USA don't seem to possess the ball as well as they should,
and of course Japan are masters of possession.

If Japan have the ball 60% they nullify some of USA's advantages somewhat.

Mr. Smith

EOG Master

Whenever I see USA play a short team its like watching a boxer try to fight a bigger boxer. USA just pounds on them.

Fair point about the disaster disrupting Japan earlier. They obviously have something going on right now

markinsac

EOG Dedicated

The rest of the world will be pulling for Japan because of the earthquake and tsunami disaster. I kinda am too, a win will make them feel better. The USA is in political strife right now. But the gals are awesome.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

The rest of the world will be pulling for Japan because of the earthquake and tsunami disaster. I kinda am too, a win will make them feel better. The USA is in political strife right now. But the gals are awesome.

I understand what you're saying about the Japanese disaster but are you American? I sympathize with the Japanese but I'm not going to root against my own country because of it. Do you think Japanese would root against their country for ANY reason? And what on earth, make that in the universe, does the political squabbling of our power mad politicians have to do with whether or not you're going to support American soccer players who have nothing to do with the situation in Congress?

global24

EOG Veteran

For me soccer in unwatchable, but with the US in the final game i have to watch it although i don't know what time it is on.

I see on the yahoo sports website that it is @ 19:45, which is 7:45 but that is in germany or whereever it is being played. Anyone know what time the game starts on the east coast of the US?

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

I think 2 PM EDT. Gotta root for the Americans here. We can sympathize for what happened to Japan, but if the shoe were on the other foot (no soccer pun intended), they wouldn't give a damn.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

For me soccer in unwatchable, but with the US in the final game i have to watch it although i don't know what time it is on.

I see on the yahoo sports website that it is @ 19:45, which is 7:45 but that is in germany or whereever it is being played. Anyone know what time the game starts on the east coast of the US?

Soccer is unwatchable but let me guess..you like watching perhaps the dumbest game ever devised, American "football," where the idea is to knock someone to the ground. :LMAO

markinsac

EOG Dedicated

Chessman, I never watch soccer. I only dabble at the men's World Cup. But I have to admit the USA women's win over Brazil and France had me captivated. Likewise Japan's semi-final win. I see it as a big drama rather than a patriotic must win for our gals. I'm not going to bet on it, i'm just going to sit back and enjoy. Thank you ladies for putting on such an exciting show.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

Chessman, I never watch soccer. I only dabble at the men's World Cup. But I have to admit the USA women's win over Brazil and France had me captivated. Likewise Japan's semi-final win. I see it as a big drama rather than a patriotic must win for our gals. I'm not going to bet on it, i'm just going to sit back and enjoy. Thank you ladies for putting on such an exciting show.

OK, sounds good to me. I hope they win it too.

Mr. Smith

EOG Master

My last post was sandbagging until I could bet it. When I saw the line in this game I nearly fell out of my chair. USA wins this in regulation and it wont be close. USA by 2.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

Smith, come on. Japan beat Germany and then outplayed Sweden by a mile. And Sweden beat the USA. I hope you're right but I might just watch and root.

Mr. Smith

EOG Master

I will write what I think when I get a chance. Biggest bet for me in a long time. I have an uncomfortable amount on this so I hope I am right

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

I understand what you're saying about the Japanese disaster but are you American? I sympathize with the Japanese but I'm not going to root against my own country because of it. Do you think Japanese would root against their country for ANY reason? And what on earth, make that in the universe, does the political squabbling of our power mad politicians have to do with whether or not you're going to support American soccer players who have nothing to do with the situation in Congress?

I would bet against any American team if the line was out of whack...but I know what you are saying....

Don't know of any American who bet Russia in the 1980 hockey Olympic game...

ebemiss

EOG Addicted

I've watched a lot of this tourney and Japan is better fundamentally. They won't make the big mistake. I can't say the same for the US defense.

This game is even. If you can get a .5 for Japan it's worth the wager for the first 90 minutes (regulation). I also agree that Japan beat the best two teams in the tournament. (Germany, Sweeden)

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

I would bet against any American team if the line was out of whack...but I know what you are saying....

Don't know of any American who bet Russia in the 1980 hockey Olympic game...

Oh that would have been automatic grounds for revocation of citizenship!

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

I've watched a lot of this tourney and Japan is better fundamentally. They won't make the big mistake. I can't say the same for the US defense.

This game is even. If you can get a .5 for Japan it's worth the wager for the first 90 minutes (regulation). I also agree that Japan beat the best two teams in the tournament. (Germany, Sweeden)

Well I never said that I think Germany and Sweden are the two best teams in the tournament. I think France is certainly as good as Sweden and I think the USA is better than both of them. I didn't see enough of Germany but I know they're very good. I think their coach doesn't utilize the players correctly. And the announcer (Foudy?) thinks Brazil's formation and tactics are wrong. Brazil is too top heavy. A mega star, maybe two other stars and an ordinary bunch after that.

markinsac

EOG Dedicated

Wait a minute Chessman. Isn't sports betting all about finding the most likely winner at the right odds? If some feel that Japan is a better value, shouldnt they back them up? Of course if You're an American citizen and find the Americans are the stronger team then you get to bet and be patriotic. Once I started betting on sports, I stopped having favorite teams. I used to be a San Diego Padres and Charger fan but now can bet against them in a heartbeat.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

Wait a minute Chessman. Isn't sports betting all about finding the most likely winner at the right odds? If some feel that Japan is a better value, shouldnt they back them up? Of course if You're an American citizen and find the Americans are the stronger team then you get to bet and be patriotic. Once I started betting on sports, I stopped having favorite teams. I used to be a San Diego Padres and Charger fan but now can bet against them in a heartbeat.

I agree to a point. Concerning pro sports I'll bet against anybody, including my favorite teams when growing up. This takes away the innocence you used to have as a "fan." I also regularly bet against American tennis players if I think I have an edge. In this particular case though, I just can't sit there and root for Japan. I'm too emotionally invested in this game. I haven't looked forward to a sporting event with a rooting interest like I have with this game in a very long time. I suppose one can bet Japan while rooting for the USA. If the USA wins, ok, you lost a bet, no big deal, you'll be happy USA won. If USA loses, well the bright side is that you won some money. I won't be doing this however but I can see how one might do it. And with your bet on Japan +.5, you can root for a USA win in OT and still win the bet! :houra

Mr. Smith

EOG Master

Japan was in group B, the easy group as the seeded team. And after a 2-0 loss to England they didn't win it. They also are not the Asian champs after losing to Australia 1-0. If you saw England and Australia they are good teams not great. So is Japan they kind of slot in there, but the USA is a great team. Japan beat Germany in a huge upset and it will take another huge upset to beat USA.

A lot of the reason I'm betting USA is the two games on ESPN which I watched just before the tournament. In the first Japan dominated the first 25 minutes with their passing and possesion game. But they did not generate even one real scoring opportunity. That is a problem, other than Sawa they lack finishers. The USA dominated the rest of the way, won 2-0 and it really was not even that close. Bad finishing by the USA.

In the second game also won 2-0 by USA, USA dominated from start to finish and again it really should have been worse. USA not only beat Japan badly twice they frankly made them look incompetent as in the two games Japan did not even generate one shot that tested Hope Solo. Solo is easily the best keeper in the world and gives the USA an edge in this game. Japans keeper is short and generally suspect.

In the USA 2-1 win earlier this year Hope Solo was still injured and did not play. In the 3 games USA outshot Japan each time ( not shots on goal, just shots) 16-6, 15-9, 15-8. USA has a 22-0-3 career record vs Japan.

USA height advantage is huge, not just on offense but everywhere. When Japan tries corner kicks or crosses, USA defenders just head them away. USA will be looking to find Wambach for headers. Wambach will be like Shaqzilla in this game. Lauren Cheney is big too, if Wambach is Shaq, then Cheney will be Alonzo Mourning. And there is not much Japan can do to defend them in the box, you cant just foul them there. Like I said when USA plays a short team its like watching a middleweight try and box a heavyweight. USA just pounds on them.

USA is very tough to defend as it isn't like Wambach has to carry the load. They have a lot of players out there who finish scoring chances well. Megan Rapinoe has been a live wire. Cheney keeps putting nasty hard shots on goal. Carli Lloyd has a cannon. So does Rapinoe. Alex Morgan is super fast and super good. I hope they start her instead of Amy Rodriguez who has been misfiring.

I've tried to think is their something I'm missing? Something I have not thought of? I know Japan beat Germany and Sweden. But I just don't even see a ray of sunshine for them here. Not saying Japan has no chance but I think USA wins by 2 goals.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Can't compare this Japan team to the one from earlier in the year though.

I still think USA has a GIANT advantage in the air and at keeper.
USA playing Japan looks like a junior high team playing an adult team.
But USA don't seem to possess the ball as well as they should,
and of course Japan are masters of possession.

If Japan have the ball 60% they nullify some of USA's advantages somewhat.

The first part says it all. if I am USA I try and use my height advantage by making this an aerial game - same as in basketball if the same thing was the case. In hockey Goalie means everything - same in soccer and USA has the best in the World and it will show here. USA wins it 2-0

In my eyes, the only way Japan can win this is controlling 60% of the possessions.
And Solo has a bad game.
And there is a red card for USA.

I saw the total goals scored in this series and it was REALLY lopsided.
I know Japan are on a roll and playing very good football,
but everything in my body is saying 3-0 USA.
The heart is a part of the body as is the mind so sometimes the obvious isn't always the best wager or the final result.

Japan are very technical much like France.
And for a long stretch of time,France were the better side against the US.
Can Japan get their customary early goal and play keep away with the US?
If the US get their usual amount of set pieces,much like all the previous meetings,this game shouldn't be close.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR

I only watch sports, not familiar with this organized kickball stuff but following CC/ Smitty today, they sound confident. GO USA!!

The USA is 76-1-2 when Abby Wambach scores a goal.
Half of Japan’s goals have been scored in the first 20 minutes of action.

ebemiss

EOG Addicted

I'm not a communist or hate America, BUT Japan +.5 -123, 90+, is beyond fair, if you're actually looking at this game from an objective wagering point of view. I Hope the US wins in extra time, but looking at this game, from what I've seen from both teams, the US isn't playing that great. They got beat by Sweden, should have lost to Brazil, and was only better than France in those last 3.

Played Japan .5 -123

VegasRandy

EOG Veteran

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 width=600><TBODY><TR bgColor=#003366><TD width=20 align=middle>1509</TD><TD width=180>Japan (W)</TD><TD width=180>1:45 pm Add to Ticket</TD><TD width=20 align=middle>1510</TD><TD width=180>USA (W)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 width=600 bgColor=#ffebcd><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD colSpan=8></TD></TR><TR><TD width=30 align=middle><INPUT value=G*98453073*1509*0*S*0.5*-123 type=checkbox name=Selection></TD><TD width=85>+?</TD><TD width=85>-123</TD><TD bgColor=#99cccc width=180 colSpan=2 align=middle>Game Spread</TD><TD width=30 align=middle><INPUT value=G*98453073*1510*0*S*-0.5*-108 type=checkbox name=Selection></TD><TD width=85>-?</TD><TD width=85>-108</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD colSpan=8></TD></TR><TR><TD width=30 align=middle><INPUT value=G*98453073*1509*0*M*0*255 type=checkbox name=Selection></TD><TD width=170 colSpan=2>+255 </TD><TD bgColor=#99cccc width=180 colSpan=2 align=middle>Game MoneyLine</TD><TD width=30 align=middle><INPUT value=G*98453073*1510*0*M*0*100 type=checkbox name=Selection></TD><TD width=170 colSpan=2>+100 </TD></TR><TR><TD width=200 colSpan=3> </TD><TD bgColor=#99cccc width=180 colSpan=2 align=middle><INPUT value=G*98453073*1511*0*M*0*235 type=checkbox name=Selection> +235 - Draw</TD><TD width=200 colSpan=3> </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD colSpan=8></TD></TR><TR><TD width=30 align=middle><INPUT value=G*98453073*1509*0*LO*2*-196 type=checkbox name=Selection></TD><TD width=85>Over 2</TD><TD width=85>-196</TD><TD bgColor=#99cccc width=180 colSpan=2 align=middle>Game Total</TD><TD width=30 align=middle><INPUT value=G*98453073*1510*0*LU*2*130 type=checkbox name=Selection></TD><TD width=85>Under 2</TD><TD width=85>+130</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 width=600><TBODY><TR bgColor=#000000><TD colSpan=5></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ff0000><TD colSpan=5></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#003366><TD width=20 align=middle>1513</TD><TD width=180>Japan (W Lift Troph)</TD><TD width=180>1:45 pm Add to Ticket</TD><TD width=20 align=middle>1514</TD><TD width=180>USA (W Lift Trophy)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 width=600 bgColor=#ffebcd><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD colSpan=8></TD></TR><TR><TD width=30 align=middle><INPUT value=G*98453077*1513*0*S*0*150 type=checkbox name=Selection></TD><TD width=85>pk</TD><TD width=85>+150</TD><TD bgColor=#99cccc width=180 colSpan=2 align=middle>Game Spread</TD><TD width=30 align=middle><INPUT value=G*98453077*1514*0*S*0*-200 type=checkbox name=Selection></TD><TD width=85>pk</TD><TD width=85>-200</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Can somebody explain soccer lines?

tripp

EOG Master

Soccer has three way lines so if you bet USA ML you have them to win in regulation. So if they win in extra time or in penalty kicks you still lose your bet. "Draw" would be the winner in that scenario.

If you want to just bet USA to win the world cup that would the the USA will lift trophy -200 line.

Re: USA-Japan [In-Match Thread]

5 missed chances..

Having their way with Japan at the moment.
Doing whatever they want with little confrontation.

* 8 shots in the first 20 minutes.