Vice Presidential Odds

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
It ain't just Maxine: Would be a Massive mistake if Senile Joe doesn't listen and hear.

https://19thnews.org/2020/08/black-...early_a_&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter
Black women insist that Biden “write us into history”
Interviews with a dozen strategists, activists and voters reveal that many now believe selecting a Black woman to be the vice presidential candidate is a requirement, not a recommendation.

Errin Haines
Editor-at-large

Published
August 9, 2020
This reporting was supported by the International Women’s Media Foundation’s Howard G. Buffett Fund for Women Journalists.
Last week began with racial and gendered attacks against some of the Black women that Joe Biden could choose as his running mate, a decision he is expected to announce in the coming days.
That criticism, combined with the news Friday night that Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer — a White woman — had met with Biden to discuss the possibility of joining him on the ticket, was met with anger and frustration by many Black women strategists, activists, organizers and voters who have reached a point where they believe choosing a Black woman vice presidential nominee is no longer a recommendation, but a requirement.
“The backlash is very real, and it will be felt all across this country,” said Democratic strategist Karen Finney. “Black women are sick and tired of being considered the backbone of the Democratic Party. We want to be recognized as leaders. We want all the things. We’re due.”
Interviews with Black women across the country reveal an evolving discussion about the vice presidency, which began during the primary and has taken on outsize importance in an already consequential election year.
In early March, when Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s path to the White House looked like it might be ending, women began calling for the presumptive Democratic nominee — which appeared at that time to be Biden or Sen. Bernie Sanders — to select a woman, particularly a woman of color.
Near the end of March, Biden announced that he would choose a woman as his running mate if he became the nominee.
Since then, rumors have swirled about who Biden could choose as his vice presidential nominee. Among the Black women who have been reported as at or near the top of the list are Sen. Kamala Harris of California, former National Security Adviser Susan Rice, Congressional Black Caucus Chairwoman Karen Bass. All bring different strengths and lived experiences to the role.
“My position is that each of the candidates named is highly qualified,” said Johnetta B. Cole, president and chairwoman of the National Council of Negro Women. She declined to name her preference, but said, “I think the most important thing for large numbers of us to do is to stand solidly in support of the selection of one of these candidates. If one understands that it’s far time for this country of ours to not just make a declarative statement, do something about honoring diversity by addressing systemic systems of inequality.”
In April, a letter sponsored by Sisters Lead Sisters Vote that initially had 200 signatures grew to more than 1,000 people saying they were “writing to recommend and encourage” Biden to “seize this moment in our country’s history, and its bold future” by choosing a Black woman. Among the named signatories were elected officials, clergy and organizers.
Melanie Campbell, chairwoman of the organization, said she would be “extremely concerned” if Biden does not choose a Black woman and is cautiously optimistic that he will do so.
“It’s not against anybody, but I’m just affirming Black women and what we bring,” Campbell said.
Veteran strategist Minyon Moore agreed, adding that the Black women candidates in consideration are all qualified and experienced. Moore said that while she respects that the decision is Biden’s, she would also be disappointed if that decision is not to choose from among the black women on the list.
“They have done all the things America has told us we needed to do to succeed,” said Moore, who was among the letter signatories. “Why not write us into history.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
“The thought that you would throw that away and not guarantee that these people are going to come out and bring the hopes and the dreams of people like Sojourner Truth, Fannie Lou Hamer and Shirley Chisholm if you pick a Black woman is short-sighted,” Jones said. “When Black women take an election on our shoulders, that person usually wins.”
Not having a Black woman on the ticket could also mean a heavier lift for the Black women doing the work of registering and turning out the Black vote in the midst of a pandemic. LaTosha Brown, co-founder of Black Voters Matter, said choosing a Black woman running mate helps to create the energy necessary for victory in November.
“Some barriers are too difficult, given that we have less than 90 days left, to overcome,” Brown said. “We show up, we do the work. This will absolutely determine whether we show up or show out.”

Aside from enthusiasm, Brown said such a pick could also inspire voters in a way that an all-White ticket cannot.
“We need the hope of possibility and something different,” she explained. “It’s a ceiling breaker for people to see what’s possible for a radical reimagining of America.”
Glynda Carr, president and chief executive officer of Higher Heights, said Biden will have to answer to Black women on the campaign trail if his running mate is not from among their ranks.
“We’ve always been the architects of this democracy, and we always put more in than we get out,” Carr said.
There hasn’t been much public consensus around which Black woman Biden should choose, though observers have said among the top names for the role are Harris, Rice and Bass. But to the extent that there is a White woman that Black women voters are willing to support, there has consistently been one answer: Elizabeth Warren, who many say has a proven track record addressing issues of systemic racism.
As a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate Black women saw Warren as “paying attention, that she is learning, that she is listening and that she is moveable when she doesn’t understand something,” said Democratic strategist and former Warren campaign staffer Alencia Johnson, who doesn’t have a position on who Biden should choose.
“They have seen here use her privilege as a White woman to fight for things that are just right,” Johnson said, adding that Warren could help to bolster support among young Black progressives.
Still, without a Black woman on the ticket, Biden would need other strategies to galvanize Black women at the polls — not just bringing themselves, but their churches, sororities and salons, Johnson said.
“It puts Black women in a really tough position for advocating and going the extra mile to advocate to get people out to vote who have been disenfranchised, who don’t see their political interest reflected, to overcome voter suppression and COVID-19,” she said. “We need help convincing the people that we alone are responsible for.”
Still, the lived experiences of the Black women in the running, coupled with their impressive credentials, make them uniquely qualified for both this role and this moment in American politics, said Cole. In making her point, she paraphrased an African proverb about women making the impossible possible: “When Black women lead, streams run uphill.”
“If this does not happen, I will personally feel profoundly disappointed,” Cole said. “It does not happen every day, to have such a defining moment.”
For all the controversy swirling around the decision, Democratic Rep. Maxine Waters said she is “not nervous” about Biden’s choice, and is convinced that he will choose an African-American woman, given their impact and standing in the party.
“I don’t think it can be ignored, and I don’t think it will be at all,” Waters said, adding that the unconventional process has contributed to its chaotic and competitive nature.
“It identified any number of women it could possibly be and it became a contest,” Waters explained. “When it becomes a contest, people will do what they think is necessary to win.”

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
That type of thinking in Guesser’s last post is why the blacks hold themselves back. If it’s not a black woman as a running mate, they can’t be bothered. Just awful logic.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
question

why is biden waiting so long to make this VP pick?

crazy thought. The dems know biden isn't going to make the full first term and are going to endorse someone else at the dem nomination party.

Get your hillary tickets ready.

then this new nominee will be able to pick who they want for VP.

Given so many odd things like Biden isn't out fund raising or openly campaigning seems odd. By campaigning I would mean doing TV interviews and radio shows on a daily basis.

Something doesn't seem right about all this.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
question

crazy thought. The dems know biden isn't going to make the full first term and are going to endorse someone else at the dem nomination party.

Given so many odd things like Biden isn't out fund raising or openly campaigning seems odd. By campaigning I would mean doing TV interviews and radio shows on a daily basis.

He’s doing well fundraising now. Campaigning will be totally different this year because of the pandemic.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
question

Correct. I would bet Biden to not be the nommy to be safe. If you want to step out, take a shot at the replacement. Plus we have Durham lurking. I don't think Hillary. Kamela or Michelle. I think Trump sends Pence home to Mother and adds Kristy Noem. This is 2020. Nothing will be normal.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
I get the Champ, going to pound several max bets.

DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENT/VP NOMINEE
MARKETS WILL BE GRADED AT THE CONCLUSION OF DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION
ALL IN - NO REFUNDS
US 2020 ELECTIONS - DEMOCRATIC VICE PRESIDENT NOMINEE

Kamala Harris
+25000
Updated #4
Min Bet: $1.00 Max Risk: $12.00

Michelle Obama
+21500
Updated #4
Min Bet: $1.00 Max Risk: $13.00

kane

EOG master
Because you are a pussy. You know you are. What a waste.

I already had 8 guys to win it, and I don't follow the sport close enough to make my own plays, so there's a couple of guys I follow, neither of them had him to win, one of them had him in the top 10, so that's what I played, had he taken him to win, so would I

kane

EOG master
I told you I don't follow the sport close enough to make my own plays, there's two guys I tail, I play whatever they play

Dell Dude

EOG Master
This Jap is the real deal. 26/28 cuts and now 3 wins including a major. Another sport Americans will no longer dominate.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
That type of thinking in Guesser’s last post is why the blacks hold themselves back. If it’s not a black woman as a running mate, they can’t be bothered. Just awful logic.
That might be a valid opinion but it's also the truth, especially if you're a candidate who should be playing it as safe as possible, and follow the conventional thinking of a VP choice, Do No Harm.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
So I see RIP Kamala trending on twitter, naturally I assume she was told she was out of the running, then I see where the old wrestler Kamala passed away
RIP to a great, and hopefully his namesake continues his greatness in her chosen field: 1597020189615.png

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
I have been in the Philippines since the end of Feb, thus it often times becomes a question of sleep vs horses as I am 12 hours ahead of EST. Still squeeze a few late nights or early mornings in. Caught the Spa finale today while Victor screwed me with the 3 in the Delmar finale. Hope you've been well. I'm sure when I drop anchor in 10 days, things will be unrecognizable.

You are better off in the Philippines than the USA....you might want to extend your stay...

Ray Luca

EOG Master
Here's something nobody dares to hit Biden on but I will. With all due respect to women he did NOT have to commit to a woman. There was no reason do to it at the time. He had Bernie beat. Why box yourself in? So now here we are in the most awful and dangerous spot in my lifetime and this guy is about to be elected but can very easily pass away by natural causes or this virus and we can have a person takeover with zero experience at this critical time in our Country. But sex and skin color more important.

Ridiculous and sad

kane

EOG master
I'm not sure how this works, but Kamala, Duckworth, and Bottoms are all speaking at the DNC. Rice, Demmings, and Bass aren't. Does the VP usually speak at these conventions?

blueline

EOG Master
I'm not sure how this works, but Kamala, Duckworth, and Bottoms are all speaking at the DNC. Rice, Demmings, and Bass aren't. Does the VP usually speak at these conventions?

usually the day before the final day of the convention

Foresthill

EOG Addicted

The vice-presidential nominee always speaks to accept the nomination.

If one of the first 3 get the nomination, they may wait to speak to accept the vp nod, so they don't "steal their own thunder" with the earlier speech.

Invariably, yes. They want to gauge how much "energy" and support they could potentially bring to the ticket.