Viejo- What were the odds in the Taylor-Chavez fight?

KingRevolver

Born Rambler
Back in 1990... when Meldrick Taylor dominated Chavez and was on his way to win the fight, but Chavez knocked him down, and Richard Steele stopped the fight with two seconds left.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler
Re: Viejo- What were the odds in the Taylor-Chavez fight?

I love when Jim Lampley (HBO) calls the fights. I'm not a fan of the Showtime guys.

Here are the final two minutes of the bout:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AgenYK7VaxY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

munson15

I want winners...

Taylor came in highly regarded, but Chavez was at the height of his powers at the time, and I recall him being favored on the order of 4 or 5-1.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Think both fighters were undefeated....Richard Steele didn't waste anytome stopping it...

If it was allowed to end, Taylor would have won a split decision according to the scorecards...

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Think both fighters were undefeated....Richard Steele didn't waste anytome stopping it...

If it was allowed to end, Taylor would have won a split decision according to the scorecards...

Yeah, I think Taylor was something like 28 and 0, and Chavez was 60-something and 0.

I say Taylor was robbed, but at the same time... Steele did ask him twice, "Are you OK?" and Taylor was busy looking at his corner. And also, if you notice, he held on to the rope the whole time. He was stunned.

CHIHUAHUA

EOG Veteran

Stupid fighters don't listen to their corner. That's why Taylor lost. Things were never the same for him after that.:LMAO

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

It was all those Chavez body shots that messed Taylor up. He took a real beating that night. I heard right after the fight, Chavez went to an after party, and Taylor went straight to the hospital. He was pissing blood for a week straight.

Dr. Flip Homansky, who examined Taylor after the fight, said, "Meldrick suffered a facial fracture, he was urinating pure blood, his face was grotesquely swollen...this was a kid who was truly beaten up to the face, the body, and the brain."

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Yeah, Taylor wasn't the same after that fight. He took some vicious body shots.

Ray Luca

EOG Master

At the time it was the biggest bet I made in my life. 5 figures w NY Bookmakers.

I took 2-1

We still talk about it

munson15

I want winners...

Thanks for the correction of my fuzzy memory, Ray.:cheers

Ray Luca

EOG Master

Thanks for the correction of my fuzzy memory, Ray.:cheers

I think it was 5-1 early but back then on the East Coast, you had to call a number the afternoon of the fight and at that time it was 10-12 I believe. I loved Taylor. For two years before the fight, I told everyone who talked to me about boxing that Taylor would beat Chavez. Crazy Crazy loss. And it hurt my pocket BIG time

Ray Luca

EOG Master

Since I know Bricker will ask, the biggest bet I ever made was another big dog loser that shoulda won. It was really really hard for me and I stopped gambling for a while.

2000 Portland Blazers over Lakers in the Series

I almost just cried again now .....seriously

munson15

I want winners...

Those are two bad beats for sure, Ray.