Washington Redskins name

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Trying not to make it political, but its pretty big in the news now.

I see they are getting a lot of pressure to change the name. FedEx is putting pressure on them, and you cannot buy their merchandise on the Nike website. At the end of the day, $$$ talks.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
For 2 years now my local Daily News has refused to use "Redskins" in the print for NFL football lines every week of the season.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
For 2 years now my local Daily News has refused to use "Redskins" in the print for NFL football lines every week of the season.
The syndicated papers have stopped using the name, correct. It does seem like if its going to change, now is the time. They took the original owner off of the Ring of Honor.

unluckysob

EOG Dedicated
Some teams are named after criminals. Raiders, Vikings, Pirates, Buccaneers. They cause me nightmares. Will I be safe in their stadium?

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Some teams are named after criminals. Raiders, Vikings, Pirates, Buccaneers. They cause me nightmares. Will I be safe in their stadium?
Plenty of stealing and raping in the history of all these names.

Its time to end them all.

Redskins need to go asap.

Hard to find a mascot that doesnt have a bad historical past if the mascot is a human.

Can we see a move to plant based mascots?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Hard to find a mascot that doesnt have a bad historical past if the mascot is a human.

Plant-based mascots!

Too funny.

To avoid bias, some gamblers don't want to hear team names but instead assign numbers or letters to each team in a league (Team A versus Team D).

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
On Nike's retail website, a dropdown menu features 31 NFL nicknames.

Washington's nickname is omitted.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
Trying not to make it political, but its pretty big in the news now.

I see they are getting a lot of pressure to change the name. FedEx is putting pressure on them, and you cannot buy their merchandise on the Nike website. At the end of the day, $$$ talks.
It's ridiculous, but when the big Financial boys start talking, Danny Boy may have no other choice but to start listening. I hope he holds out. I really hope some Native American groups drive home the point that they are honored by the name, as many, if not most surveys have shown.
On a positive personal note. A name change probably makes my RG3 Rookie Redskin Jersey more valuable.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
kudos to snyder for telling them to fuck off last 20 years
This just seems different.
It's ridiculous, but when the big Financial boys start talking, Danny Boy may have no other choice but to start listening. I hope he holds out. I really hope some Native American groups drive home the point that they are honored by the name, as many, if not most surveys have shown.
On a positive personal note. A name change probably makes my RG3 Rookie Redskin Jersey more valuable.

one of the redskins minority owners is the owner of Fed-Ex.

I really don't get how Snyder doesn't see this as a huge marketing opportunity. Your team has been a pile of shit for years, the palace of a stadium you had built is a joke now, and your fans are looking for anything to show things have changed. Now is the perfect time to kick off a new name, era, whatever, and rake in some rewards. The Redskins will always be the team's tradition or heritage, its not going away.

blueline

EOG Master
“We have been in conversations with the NFL and Washington management for a few weeks about this issue,” a PepsiCo spokesperson said. “We believe it is time for a change. We are pleased to see the steps the team announced today, and we look forward to continued partnership.”

The statement came after the team announced “a thorough review” of the name, and the fact that major sponsors are bailing will surely be a factor in that review.

The NFL has also issued a statement in support, after FedEx got the ball rolling Thursday night, and Nike pulled team merchandise from its website.

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
Plant-based mascots!

Go Stanford Tree! -- er, I mean Cardinal, which in their context means a color, not a bird. That's the psychedelic gibberish that the Stanford administration, of all people -- with their conservative Hoover Institute, came up with, while dropping acid and doing magic mushrooms, to replace the innocuous Indians. If they want to change the nickname, fine, but pick one -- plant (Tree) or color (Cardinal) -- doesn't matter to me, but pick one.

They used to be the Indians, which to me is as innocuous as an all girls high school team nickname being the Angels, or a pro baseball team nickname being the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. But make no mistake, the Washington pro football team nickname is not innocuous. It's a pejorative used way back in the day to describe and dehumanize Native Americans so white settlers could justify killing them, and then take the natives land. Hey, how about paying for the land, and, if they don't want to sell, tough.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Go Stanford Tree! -- er, I mean Cardinal, which in their context means a color, not a bird. That's the psychedelic gibberish that the Stanford administration, of all people -- with their conservative Hoover Institute, came up with, while dropping acid and doing magic mushrooms, to replace the innocuous Indians. If they want to change the nickname, fine, but pick one -- plant (Tree) or color (Cardinal) -- doesn't matter to me, but pick one.

They used to be the Indians, which to me is as innocuous as an all girls high school team nickname being the Angels, or a pro baseball team nickname being the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. But make no mistake, the Washington pro football team nickname is not innocuous. It's a pejorative used way back in the day to describe and dehumanize Native Americans so white settlers could justify killing them, and then take the natives land. Hey, how about paying for the land, and, if they don't want to sell, tough.
Arizona Cardinals are named for the Cardinal red on jerseys also, started when they were in Chicago.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
I hope the Native Americans get a say in all this, instead of everyone speaking on their behalf and deciding what is and isn't offensive to them.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

I still call them the: Trees

Always will. When they play baseball at Fullerton we razz them about it and I know they truly care and are affected

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated

The Washington Rosepedals has a lovely ring to it.