What College Teams Could WIN In The NFL?

It wouldn't happen and wouldn't be close. They have run simulations and done studies (as much as could be done). I believe the line came out to USC +24 to +28. So, I guess you could argue they would win like 1 out of 50 times, but in reality they'd get whitewashed.

I vaguely remember as a child that the Super Bowl champs played a group of college all-stars. Anybody older than me (37) remember this???? I do agree with GD, though. You could take the worst of the worst in the NFL and they would eat a college team alive!!!!

OK then,
HI

Any other time I might think no way. But USC is probably the best team ever in college. If this years team had last years defense I would think they would be able to stay close enough to get a flukey win. But their defense this year isn't good enough. I think they would be able to score on an NFL team, but probably not stop them.

The major problem is depth. USC has NFL players at every offensive position, maybe not starting talent, but talent enough to make a squad. Defense is the problem.

You obviously haven't looked at SF's roster...Smith who was the number one overall pick in the draft wouldn't even be the starter for USC. USC third string QB who didn't take 3 snaps went in the seventh round of the NFL draft.

USC has unbelieveable talent on offense. They haven't played their starters for a full game in forever. Not even against Oklahoma last year in the title game, whom they could have rolled up by 50.

USC has probably 6-7 first rounders on offense, I don't care, with that type of talent they have a punchers chance. They simply lost a few guys on their defensive side to last years draft... one first rounder and two second rounders, (Peterson for Phi, Tatupu for Sea, and Cody for Det) Tatupu is starting and the other two are second string and have both played in the first two games of the season. That hurts them, but with those 3 guys back on the defense I would give them a show against a couple teams in the NFL.

The difference between 19-21 years old and 25-28 is tremendous both mentally and physically.

Looking at Leinart's class load, one could argue he is a "pro" already.

Doberman exactly

Leinhart also would not know what game he is playing and would lucky to have 100 yds passing

USC RB;s would be stacked up at line also

Reggie Bush is twice the back Carnell Williams is, and Williams is dominating right now.

Not sure where you get your broad based ideas, but they are completely flawed.

How is Bush going to run when A Pro D will be in the backfield ripping his head off before you know it??

Wanty you cannot compare college teams to Pros, way to big of a difference

So when Bush goes into the NFL next year and rushes for 1500 or so yards does that mean he probably couldn't have done it this year against those same teams? A few months is going to make that big a deal? Talent is talent. Most players that have great talent don't get better, they just play the way they always do... great.

How many teams would take Bush right now and throw him into their starting line up? I would lay -1000 that 25 of the NFL teams would make him their starting RB TODAY.

If you are hinting that the Offensive line wouldn't give him time, I think you are underestimating that as well. From what I have seen he doesn't need a lot of time. I have to think that The USC line is almost as good as the offensive line that Barry Sanders played behind. Not that Bush is Barry Sanders, but he just might be as close as it gets.

THE NEXT NATIONAL CHAMPS WILL BE VA TECH BABY!!!!

And, I do believe they could win some games, epecially if Glaken thinks TEXAS can!

GreenDoberman said:
HOKIE HOKIE HOKIE HIGH...

There's been a Shrink sighting.

YEPPPP...

Had Family in town for the past couple of days, but now they are gone and I am BACKKKKKK!!!!:cocktail :cocktail :cocktail

dirty

EOG Master
No Damn way a College team Could even score

WTF......Comeon.........Give me a damn Break

No way the Pros have a 53 man roster that is Filled with The Best of the best from the draft....Players that were stars in College dont even sniff PT in the NFL....

That is why the NFL is so great it gives players that fell Thru the Cracks.....Walter Payton...Jerry Rice....Ed "Too Tall" jones, ETC...A damn chance to make it in the NFL.....it is not about smarts....it is not about who you know....It is about talent

No way a College team would even score against a NFL Team

watson

EOG Enthusiast
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by watson
Just for discussion do you think there are any college teams that could give a pro team a good matchup? Who vs Who
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Absolutely, positively, 100% NO .....................

This has always been the most ridiculous arguement involving sports.
(Not directed towards you watson, just the whole idea in general. I understand it's fun to talk about sometimes)

I was already scolded on this topic, so I am not getting involved.
<!-- / message -->

Scotty S

EOG Addicted
HI McDonough said:
I vaguely remember as a child that the Super Bowl champs played a group of college all-stars. Anybody older than me (37) remember this???? I do agree with GD, though. You could take the worst of the worst in the NFL and they would eat a college team alive!!!!

OK then,
HI
HI, the NFL champ used to play the college all stars to begin the pre season. The cream of the college crop couldn't hang. They dropped the game.

USC couldn't beat an NFL team, never.....Scotty S

dirty

EOG Master
<!--StartFragment -->

The College All-Star Game 1934-1976

"Arch Ward, the sports editor of the Chicago Tribune, in 1934 came up with the idea of a pre-season game between the NFL champions and a team of college all-stars to benefit the newspaper's charity fund. All of the games were played at Soldier Field in Chicago. In the early years, the college players did pretty well against the pros. The NFL champions dominated in later years, however, losing only once after 1955. In 1976, the game was suspended and finally called off because of a heavy rainstorm late in the third quarter, with the Pittsburgh Steelers holding a 24-0 lead. That was the last game of the series. " And remember how they could only broadcast the game in black and white because of the poor lighting at Soldier Field?

Johnny Detroit

EOG Senior Member
Imagine USC as a 28-point underdog
By DAVE TULEY
DRF

LAS VEGAS - USC is a great college team. No doubt about it.
The Trojans are the two-time defending champs - okay, they are the two-time defending Associated Press champs, since they didn't get to play in the BCS title game two years ago - and the MGM Mirage properties have them as overwhelming 1-2 favorites to win the Rose Bowl, this year's BCS title game, after being available at 7-5 before the season started.

USC has annihilated its first two opponents this year, 63-17 over Hawaii as 35-point favorites and 70-17 over Arkansas as 31-point favorites. This week, the Trojans are 21-point favorites over Oregon despite having to play a Pac-10 rival on the road.

The Trojans are being compared to a pro team, and I'm sure you've heard people say that they could beat the 49ers or the Cardinals.

But don't believe it.

Ken White, the head oddsmaker and current co-owner of Las Vegas Sports Consultants, said the Trojans don't have the overall talent or depth to compete with any pro team.

"The worst NFL teams have got to be 28-point favorites over the top college team, even USC," White said. "They could name their score. It's professionals against college kids, and that's such a big difference. Carson Palmer was a great college player, but he had to sit on the bench right away with the Bengals. It's a big step up to the pros. Last year, Ben Roethlisberger kind of broke the mold, but before him, rookie quarterbacks were 28 percent against the spread over a long sample of games.

"Matt Leinart, as good as he is, would basically be a rookie quarterback going against the pros, and Leinart isn't surrounded by all NFL-quality players."

Michael "Roxy" Roxborough, who founded LVSC and was the nation's top oddsmakers from 1982 to 1999, said these comparisons are nothing new.

"This comes up from time to time," Roxy said, "but pro teams by their very nature are a collection of college all-stars. The 49ers, or whoever you think is the worst team in the NFL, would wax any college team if they really had to win and were trying the whole game."

Both White and Roxborough referenced the old annual exhibition game in Chicago from 1934-1976 between the defending NFL champs and a team of college all-stars. In the first 14 games in the 1930's and 40's, the NFL went 7-5-2. But as pro teams became more, well, professional in their training, the NFL teams started to dominate, and by the time the series ended (with a rain-shortened 24-0 victory by the Steelers in 1976), the NFL teams were 31-9-2 with only one loss in the final 18 games.

And this was with all the best college players, not just one team.

The answer is simple. NO! MAY'N!
USC will be very lucky if 10% of their players are even drafted in the top 4 rounds. I predict they will lose to a college team this year!!

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
It would all come down to motivation, rules/refs, site, and which teams we are talking about! I remember when the Super Bowl winners used to play an All-Star team of college players, and I believe they were competitive. But once again, we are talking about the motivation for teams playing!