What exactly is hands to the face in the NFL?

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
In last night's Lions game - called twice. In both cases it looked like the Lions player had a grip on the shoulder pad on the right side of the Packer lineman's neck. Ok, so that does provide pretty good leverage similar to a horse collar.

Booger was going nuts. Is there an argument that they could have called it defensive holding???

Last edited by a moderator:

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
I agree. Bad calls. But not defensive holding.

In terms of linemen defensive holding would be restricting an offensive lineman from pulling or going to a linebacker. Its never called but its taught as a way to keep LBs clean.

Those flags last night were beyond poor judgement.

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated
They were bad calls, but it looked like at first glance, that it was hands to the face.
His hand was close to the face mask and the tackle's face was "pointing up"

The first angle they showed, I was like yep, hands to the face.
Obviously the other angle showed otherwise

He may have adjust his technique

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
Yes, agreed on adjusting if it is getting called. He just feels for the grip - does not punch, shove, or yank. Just stabilizes his grip to keep the opponent at arm's length - cannot get on him to block him. It is effective. I would not have a problem with an open hand.

Let's go the other way. The offensive lineman cannot grab onto a defensive linemen's shoulder pads like that to control him. It is holding for them. So, that is the way I saw it. Should go both ways and be consistent. Otherwise, lets coach the offensive linemen to develop technique on how to grab the shoulder pad of the defensive lineman and squeeze and hold on hard. That should cancel out the move?

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The convoluted rule book makes the job of an NFL official nearly impossible.

Slow-motion replay from countless camera angles highlights more mistakes than ever before.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Slow-motion replay from countless camera angles highlights more mistakes than ever before.

As soon as instant replay was implemented, the job became impossible....it was supposed to help but in the end opened up a new can of worms....

Question....are the refs still part time workers for the season? Did the NFL implement full time employees to officiate? I don’t know ....

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated

On youtube you can watch games from the 70's.

Announcers say much less and no replays.

Was kinda interesting to see it

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
If only replay could be used for egregious errors like first-base umpire Jim Joyce robbing Armando Galarraga of a perfect game.

Of course, it's hard to differentiate between an error and an egregious error.

1571263882574.png

MrTop

EOG Master
The hands to the face usually happens when i pick the wrong team .. i say why did i pick this team covering my face..

:)