What is the WORST sport for backdoor covers?

ChuckyG

EOG Master
Some discussion on the board, in this direction. Can be maddening. I'll offer a few thoughts:

* NHL and MLB are MOSTLY moneyline sports. In that regard, you feel like YOUR motivation is aligned w/ the team's motivation. Betting the -1.5 market is a different animal. Baseball teams CONCEDING a run for an out, empty-net goals. Ugh.

* The physicality of football somehow makes me more tolerable of late covers. Have to earn your points. The pick-sixes against u can be tough.

* Worst for me certainly is basketball, in particular Coll Basketball. So meaningless at the end. Blowouts that hover around -17.5. Cover or not, purely at the discretion of the Gods of Gambling. Does a coach call off the dogs? Does a walk-on drain a 25-footer?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Re: What is the WORST sport for backdoor covers?

If you're an underdog bettor and you're often in a position needing a late score, it's time to re-think your handicapping.

And, CK, no need to offer a smart-aleck response.

I know where I stand in EOG'S Best Bet thread.

Oh, by the way, the bane of chalk players is when the favored team starts eating the clock as opposed to making their best effort to score.

ChuckyG

EOG Master

One truth about gamblers, if u bet enuf:

* We REMEMBER the bad beat, maybe forever. We FORGET the fortunate cover, b/c we feel like we deserved to win.

One game that comes to mind: Bowl game Duke/Cincinnati from few years ago. If u had Duke, it was like death. If u had Cincinnati..."oh yeah, had it all the way."

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Unfortunate result = Bad luck.

Fortunate result = Brilliant handicapping.

peach

EOG Veteran

Remember Spurs/Heat Game 6 a few years ago? I had spurs ML.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

MLB unders is the worst.

Let's say you have under 7

0-0 game in the 9th

1-1 in the 10th

3-3 in the 11th

walk off 2 run HR in the 12th you lose.

It's the only bet where you can suffer a beat that bad. And it does happen.

vitalyo

EOG Veteran

* We REMEMBER the bad beat, maybe forever. We FORGET the fortunate cover, b/c we feel like we deserved to win.
:cheers

MLB unders is the worst.

0-0 game in the 9th

1-1 in the 10th

3-3 in the 11th

Baseball can be wild . Overall i say Basketball NBA in particular .

Funny story about 10-12 years ago i had Rockies game under 13.5 pre game bet . Top of the 9th 1:0 Rockies ,visitor i don't remember who scores 7 runs ,Rockies at the the bottom of the nine score 7 more . I din't even watched the game case i stopped watching it when they made it to 9th inning .Was refreshing my account for the money to come in. LOL i thought it was taking book too long to settle the wager .Went to bed ,in the morning checked my account wager LOST . I couldn't believe my eyes .It wasn't a large wager can't remember how much exactly probably around $100 but WTF.

GL.

pippy

EOG Addicted

The running-back caught from behind...followed by theQB kneel down inside the 5 is tough:doh1

munson15

I want winners...

It's gotta be hoops...I've told this story before, but here I go again...was at the Garden about 35 years ago when Earl Monroe was still playing for the Knicks. A friend of mine who went with me bet the Knicks to make the game 'more interesting.' He laid -6 and the Knicks led almost all the way. Portland goes on a mini-run to cut a double digit lead to 9, then scores with a couple of seconds left. Knicks inbound to Monroe who is standing near the Portland foul line. My friend is standing up with his arms raised in victory when Monroe inexplicably takes the pass and playfully tosses it into his own net at the buzzer. Knicks win by 5, friend loses $110. The guy's face turned gray as he slumped into his seat, I thought he was taking the big one right there. It was a quiet ride back after the game.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master

One game that comes to mind: Bowl game Duke/Cincinnati from few years ago. If u had Duke, it was like death. If u had Cincinnati..."oh yeah, had it all the way."

I remember. Couldn't believe how that ending turned out, pick 6 right at the end there right? Cincinnati backers were probably rushing back to the garbage to get their tickets.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!

Isn't this a simple math question? The sport with the highest scoring frequency has to provide the highest number of backdoor beats....and wins.

carolinakid

Banned

to me it basketball. not college, but the nba, more pts than in the college ranks and better 3 pt shooters off the bench

Teddy kgb

Banned

Empty Net goals seem to come into play of a total all the time, so much so I don't think you can call it a bad beat.

12-15 yrs ago you almost never seen an NBA player who's team is up by enuff to run out the clock take a shot, they always thru it up and it usually effected the spread.

I still think the toughest beat is the pick 6

ChuckyG

EOG Master

It's gotta be hoops...I've told this story before, but here I go again...was at the Garden about 35 years ago when Earl Monroe was still playing for the Knicks. A friend of mine who went with me bet the Knicks to make the game 'more interesting.' He laid -6 and the Knicks led almost all the way. Portland goes on a mini-run to cut a double digit lead to 9, then scores with a couple of seconds left. Knicks inbound to Monroe who is standing near the Portland foul line. My friend is standing up with his arms raised in victory when Monroe inexplicably takes the pass and playfully tosses it into his own net at the buzzer. Knicks win by 5, friend loses $110. The guy's face turned gray as he slumped into his seat, I thought he was taking the big one right there. It was a quiet ride back after the game.
munson, that's classic

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

MLB unders is the worst.

0-0 game in the 9th

1-1 in the 10th

3-3 in the 11th

college football OT is worse than this

Backdoor covers used to be rampant in the NFL. Now you rarely ever see one. It's weird. Teams still letting you dink and dunk to run clock but not too many cashes anymore

munson15

I want winners...

munson, that's classic
If I hadn't been in the arena, I might not have believed him. Monroe was called into the commissioner's office to answer a few questions afterwards, but was cleared of any subterfuge.

TobyTyler

EOG Dedicated

https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=kV0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=6538,2606951&hl=en

that's amazing

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I heard the same story about Monroe's "playful" basket from a New Yorker who was at the game.

Good story, Mike.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated

You guys are arguing over how it feels to get punched in the gut, it sucks no matter what.
I bet cfb big and play around with the other sports.
Here are some highlights just from last year that I can still rattle off.
KSU meaningless TD ends game 5-6 point loser had auburn -7
Kentucky - Florida go to ot tied at 6 I have under 51 a billion OTS later... Florida wins 37-31
Texas Tech - WVU 65 over tied 31-31 WVU kicker makes his career long 58 yarder with 3 seconds left. he had never hit a fg longer than 39 prior.
Bowling Green laid 3.5 vs. Buffalo. Bowling Green lead by 17 with 4 min left a TD and a punt return TX with 20 seconds left..
I never had one lucky spot, never win.

If you got a kid kicking somewhere tell me what school, I'll bet against.. he will be in the NFL as a junior, I'll let you buy me lunch.. soup kitchen breakfast ain't bad.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master

The western Kentucky bowl game lose has to be the worst of the college season.

ChuckyG

EOG Master

That one was an all-timer. The "live line" for -3 had to be 1000/1 at start of 4th qtr. And then to have the multi-lateral miracle at end of regulation. Come on. Coach goes for 2, to make sure there's not one additional swing in OT.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated

That and Oregon st - USC 1st half. USC hail mary kills a total and Oregon st backers on a 60 yard fling.. 99.9% of coaches take a knee.. I ran out of things to pawn earlier in the day dodged a bullet

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

I look at bad beat from a statistical % mindset. All bad beats suck, but if you're going to analyze bad beats, it should be based on some kind of percentage to the original wager. For that reason, MLB beats seem worse. You go from 0-0 to 8-0 and lose. It'd be like betting on an under 70 in college football, it being 0-0 at the end of the 2nd half and it going into 9 overtimes to go over.

Firehorn

EOG Dedicated

A game that was just a BAD beat was 1997 Pittsburgh Steelers at Jacksonville on Monday night. Pitt down 23-21 getting 3 or so and kicking a FG to try and win with no time left. FG was blocked and returned 58 yards for a Jags TD and a 30-21 final and cover. Sick loss for some.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master

I actually won that game, so I'll just slink away to a corner and watch the discussion.:pop:

You bring up a good point. each one of these bad beats has someone on it that benefits from it. Someone is believing that God or someone is looking after them.

But in reality who wants to listen to a fucking lucKbox.

ChuckyG

EOG Master

A game that was just a BAD beat was 1997 Pittsburgh Steelers at Jacksonville on Monday night. Pitt down 23-21 getting 3 or so and kicking a FG to try and win with no time left. FG was blocked and returned 58 yards for a Jags TD and a 30-21 final and cover. Sick loss for some.

In that game, when the JAX player was returning the loose ball, Cowher almost came off the sideline to make the tackle. Wish he would have.

munson15

I want winners...

You bring up a good point. each one of these bad beats has someone on it that benefits from it. Someone is believing that God or someone is looking after them.

But in reality who wants to listen to a fucking lucKbox.
Not many people want to admit they are lucky, it seems to take away from the accomplishment...one time playing golf, a buddy hit a tee shot that caromed off a tree right to the middle of the fairway. My partner said 'what a lucky golfer'. The guy who hit the shot hissed at him, 'don't you ever call me lucky.' :+clueless

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Had under 7 in Houston/Oakland.

0-0 going into the 10th.

99.999999999999999999999999999% to win, and a big fat loss.

End thread. There's the worst bad beat in gambling history. The answer is baseball.

Kraken

EOG Veteran

NBA and MLB for me

I remember a Thunder-Mavs game back in 2011, had the under (193.5 I think).

Thunder are up with just a few seconds left, game is out of reach for the Mavs and the total is sitting at 192.

KD takes the inbounds pass with about 3 seconds left on the game clock and is dribbling in front of the Mavs bench when Rich Carlisle pats him on the back and says "good game". For reasons unknown, KD hands Carlisle the ball, who is standing out of bounds. Ends up being a turnover on Durant.

Of course fate would have to intervene on this night as Deshawn Stevenson subsequently hits a worthless 3 just before the buzzer sounds.

Yet I got back on the horse. Been thrown off many times since. But I love the ride