What would $1,000 deposited 50 years ago be worth now?

I am talking just an ordinary savings bank account.hard to figure since rates change a lot

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry
i dont have a true number but compounding $1000 with an average rate each year of 2.2% is $3000 after 50 years.

compounded daily or monthly about the same.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Much closer is to just assume the investment increased with the rate of inflation (say the CPI). $1000 in 1968 would be worth $7267.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Well first its pretty stupid to compare the ROI for any investment to a ordinary savings account which underperforms almost every other investment strategy except converting a commodity to greenbacks and stuffing them under your mattress. In the late 70's and early 80's you could get CDs at a 10% return or more. These rates mirrored the rise of CPI so using it gives a ballpark estimate (before taxes of course).

andyfezzik

EOG Addicted
It would be considerably worse than inflation since deposit accounts, see 2010-2017, often pay well under inflation and sometimes pay almost nothing. $3k-$4k range is probably accurate. In an S&P 500 index fund, it would have grown to about $120k. In Bitcoin, assuming you had waited until 2009 to invest it, a million or more.

MrTop

EOG Master
CD's when ComputerBob said were the glory days with 10% . End game they will tax the deposit money if nobody spends. They will say in the beginning it is only for a short while.