What would Donovan do?

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Clippers leading 116-110, Utah ball and Mitchell brings it up to half court where Kawhi Leonard commits a dumb foul with :02:2 left while Donovan is in the act of shooting. Mitchell makes first 2. Now, should you not make the third to cut the game to one possession, and then hope for a steal on the ensuing inbound and perhaps passing out to a lucky 3 attempt? Fouling might be pointless because the clock may run out, but that's another story.

Mitchell allegedly short hands the third free throw hitting front rim rolls to back rim and off. All that work for over 228 and it lands on push. I could see if Gobert was shooting ft's but damn of all people who's pretty solid going the intentional route after 74 4th quarter points.... for what?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
A made free throw there cuts the lead to three, making it a one-possession game with 2.2 seconds left.

I think Mitchell should have made the third toss.

Even with the loss last night, the Jazz are 20-2 over their past 22 games.

Last edited:
Players don't think at that level. They just know the strategy at the end of the game in broad terms but don't go say well if there's 6 seconds I do this, but 2 seconds I'll do something else. Missing it makes sense up until probably under 5 seconds so that's what he did.

jimmythegreek

Players don't think at that level. They just know the strategy at the end of the game in broad terms but don't go say well if there's 6 seconds I do this, but 2 seconds I'll do something else. Missing it makes sense up until probably under 5 seconds so that's what he did.
Aren't that's what coaches are there for, to fundamentally play the percentages? Not to mention the fact they took a timeout when they were reviewing the feet set and clock. If it's a rare attempted miss, fine. However, he literally intended to miss it which makes no sense especially if you're trying to cutting it to one possession. Star players should know better.

Aren't that's what coaches are there for, to fundamentally play the percentages? Not to mention the fact they took a timeout when they were reviewing the feet set and clock. If it's a rare attempted miss, fine. However, he literally intended to miss it which makes no sense especially if you're trying to cutting it to one possession. Star players should know better.

Hah, you have seen NFL coaches and their lack of time management skills. You are kidding yourself if you think NBA coaches are any better. Plus how many times you see NBA guys fouling down like 8 with 10 seconds left? These guys aren't dynamically adjusting their strategy, they just follow one. Just part of the game in basketball, totally randomizes the totals betting.

jimmythegreek

Hah, you have seen NFL coaches and their lack of time management skills. You are kidding yourself if you think NBA coaches are any better. Plus how many times you see NBA guys fouling down like 8 with 10 seconds left? These guys aren't dynamically adjusting their strategy, they just follow one. Just part of the game in basketball, totally randomizes the totals betting.
Bill, you're way off base here. These athletes oughta have some brains and playing fundamentally. In fact, this isn't even considered analytical the way they played it Otherwise why would you call a timeout after the first 2 free throws were made? If you allegedly miss the third ft, you're still down 2 possessions if you grab the rebound. Where's the strategy? It doesn't take rocket science for Mitchell to know the situation and shoot the 3rd charity stripe shot like he's trying to make it . And I'm not just talking in a betting situation. You hit the free throw if you at the very worst are looking to keep hope, rather than just shooting the potential one possession opportunity away. I'd like to see this similar approach in a postseason game. Quinn and company should know better than that.

Last edited:

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
Kind of like onside kick odds. I was interested and watching for the side result. So, hard to get a steal in that situation. If Donavan makes the ft - does the inbounding team have a timeout to move the ball to half court?

That is a pretty big factor in a case like that.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Kind of like onside kick odds. I was interested and watching for the side result. So, hard to get a steal in that situation. If Donavan makes the ft - does the inbounding team have a timeout to move the ball to half court?

That is a pretty big factor in a case like that.

Excellent point.

Chicago head coach Billy Donovan lost a game to Portland earlier this season when he did not take a timeout to advance the ball to three-quarters court in the game's waning seconds.

Tsk tsk.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
JIMMY started the thread to criticize one Donovan (Mitchell) and I criticized another Donovan (Billy).

Bill, you're way off base here. These athletes oughta have some brains and playing fundamentally. In fact, this isn't even considered analytical the way they played it Otherwise why would you call a timeout after the first 2 free throws were made? If you allegedly miss the third ft, you're still down 2 possessions if you grab the rebound. Where's the strategy? It doesn't take rocket science for Mitchell to know the situation and shoot the 3rd charity stripe shot like he's trying to make it . And I'm not just talking in a betting situation. You hit the free throw if you at the very worst are looking to keep hope, rather than just shooting the potential one possession opportunity away. I'd like to see this similar approach in a postseason game. Quinn and company should know better than that.

Way off base? Ok whatever Jimmy. You miss the shot on purpose Jimmy because its easier to get a defensive rebound than a steal and you have shooters in position if you get the ball, then they can hit it. If you are trying to steal the ball you then have to find a shooter and they likely will be out of shooting position or rhythm. This is NBA 101 strategy. Yes you are right, the time made it hard to imagine them having a chance, but whatever the coaches clearly didn't tell the player to do this.

Sorry the bet didn't work out for you, we all have been there. But stop taking shots at other people because we don't share your frustration with how it went.

jimmythegreek

Way off base? Ok whatever Jimmy. You miss the shot on purpose Jimmy because its easier to get a defensive rebound than a steal and you have shooters in position if you get the ball, then they can hit it. If you are trying to steal the ball you then have to find a shooter and they likely will be out of shooting position or rhythm. This is NBA 101 strategy. Yes you are right, the time made it hard to imagine them having a chance, but whatever the coaches clearly didn't tell the player to do this.

Sorry the bet didn't work out for you, we all have been there. But stop taking shots at other people because we don't share your frustration with how it went.
And what about taking a shot at me. Bill? You think I'm crazy or kidding myself comparing that coaches don't discuss this strategy, and once again taking their final timeout after making both free throws? It's all the same in football too. You do this shit every time I post a situation going contrarian on me. To try up a scheme to attempt to stay in the game, Sunder should know better to advise Mitchell so that he doesn't intentionally miss a free throw and let go all opportunity to win the game. If you are opposed to the way I feel when denoting when I feel to when a team in my opinion on how a team approaches a potential game opportunity, then I would appreciate that you don't respond at all. And once again it's not because of a bet pushing being the main focus, it's how Utah responded knowing that if Mitchell made the ft what the next strategy could be staying within one possession no matter how much time is left. I could care less on how other people feel on how a betting outcome went. At the end of the day you intend to make the free throw if you have a chance to stay within one possession.

Last edited:

jimmythegreek

Excellent point.

Chicago head coach Billy Donovan lost a game to Portland earlier this season when he did not take a timeout to advance the ball to three-quarters court in the game's waning seconds.

Tsk tsk.
Thanks for pointing that out Bucky. The Clippers did have a timeout remaining.

And what about taking a shot at me. Bill? You think I'm crazy or kidding myself comparing that coaches don't discuss this strategy, and once again taking their final timeout after making both free throws? You do this shit every time I post a situation and always go contrarian on me. And again and again you miss my point. To try up a scheme to attempt to stay in the game, Sunset should know better to advise Mitchell so that he doesn't intentionally miss a free throw and let go all opportunity to win the game. If you are opposed to the way I feel when denoting when I feel to when a team in my opinion on how a team appoached a potential game opportunity, then I would appreciate that you don't respond at all. And once again it's not because of a bet pushing being the main focus, it's how Utah responded knowing that if Mitchell made the ft what the next strategy could be staying within one possession no matter how much time is left. I could care less on how other people feel on how a betting outcome went.

Sorry Jimmy. In the future I will just let you rant and not post an opinion.

jimmythegreek

Ok so this time Boston down 3 with :05 left. Tatum draws a foul misses the first but not intentionally, then misses the second but tries to catch NO napping and careens it off the backboard not drawing rim. I just have to laugh, No fundamentals in the clutch.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
I agree the coach could spend some time with a little practice on the technique.

The players on the lane can enter when the shooter releases.

But, the shooter cannot go until the ball hits the rim.

So, how to get something to come back to the shooter or at least over the two guys on the blocks?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Remember De'Aaron Fox earlier this season or was it late last season?

Textbook example on how to execute the intentionally-missed free throw.

It amazes me when some guys try to miss a free throw and the ball goes in the basket anyway.

Tsk tsk.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
LOL that is a good one. I wonder how many times out of ten he could get that done? My over under for me is 2?

Ok, idea time. DeAndre Jordan can only hit 5 of ten free throws. Could he do this ten times and his team end up with more than 5 points in ten tries? Maybe, a two hand chest pass he can put it on the dime???

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Poor DeAndre's not quick enough to get off the line and recover his miss.

De'Aaron was quick as a cat on his miss.

Plus, the element of surprise would be gone if DeAndre Jordan continued his missed free-throw strategy.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
It would be fun to see. Lebron gets an AND 1 in the middle of the game and goes up to the line / boom off the rim and turns a 3 point play into 4.