What's a Snowflake Sports Fan to do?

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
Would the ratings have anything to do with KC-Balt? The matchups have been better this year. That is the biggest factor.
That will ALWAYS be the biggest factor. Not some Cultist Snowflakes threatening to boycott, or other such nonsense. "Ratings" should naturally be down because of all the cord cutting to places whee ratings aren't measured by traditional ratings methods. The fact that it's actually up is pretty significant for the NFL.
The Denv- Jets matchup should do record low ratings, with a horrid matchup. But count on some snowflake website to crow about it being because of kneeling, protests, BLM, or other such irrelevancies.

Last edited:

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Guesser. - you are really taking this stuff from the right wayyyyy too serious. Yes, this week’s ratings will be lower, but next week is TB vs Chicago. That may be their highest rated game of the season. I would expect ratings to be higher this year because of no competition sports wise.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
how were the monday night football ratings?

https://www.si.com/nfl/ravens/news/ravens-tv-ratings-0930

BALTIMORE — The Ravens and Chiefs highly anticipated Monday night game did not live up to the hype as far as the matchup on the field.
Kansas City, the defending Super Bowl champion, was never threatened in an easy 34-20 victory.
Nonetheless, the game garnered huge television ratings, attracting 14.02 million viewers for ESPN, a 36 percent increase over the same week last year, according to the network.
The game also managed a 4.6 rating among adults 18-49, more than double the number for anything else in primetime. The matchup attracted a high of 16.2 million viewers in the first half between 9:30 p.m. to 9:45 p.m.

alfie

EOG Dedicated
Friday’s Game 2 of the series between the Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat was watched by 6.07 million viewers, a drop from last year’s Game 2 Finals and from this year’s Game 1 (7.41 million). Game 3 ratings fell again to 5.94 million viewers, marking the least watched NBA Finals game on record, according to Sports Media Watch.

alfie

EOG Dedicated
NBA to leave BLM, social justice messaging 'off the floor' next season, says Commissioner Adam Silver
Silver: 'And I understand those people who are saying ''I’m on your side, but I want to watch a basketball game.''

i am shocked..............

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I think the players should be loud and proud, keep it on the floor. I would hate to accuse them of selling out because of diminishing ratings.

Oh, too late.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
It isn't just the NBA or NFL, ratings are down for every sport across the board, the narrative that the social justice stuff is causing the lower ratings isn't true

https://marginalrevolution.com/marg...he-decline-in-pandemic-sports-viewership.html
Some of it is true, not as much as people think though, Any BLM effect would have been at the beginning and not in the finals. My fear is the commissioners start tampering with the rules to recapture the ratings, thus changing the game more.

kane

EOG master
Some of it is true, not as much as people think though, Any BLM effect would have been at the beginning and not in the finals. My fear is the commissioners start tampering with the rules to recapture the ratings, thus changing the game more.

BLM doesn't affect tennis, golf, horse racing, auto racing, or hockey. Every sport has seen a ratings decline, social justice has nothing to do with it

alfie

EOG Dedicated
BLM doesn't affect tennis, golf, horse racing, auto racing, or hockey. Every sport has seen a ratings decline, social justice has nothing to do with it

horde racing handle has surged.....i think auto racing ratings are up

kane

EOG master
The Ky Derby is horse racing's biggest event, the ratings were down 43%, the Indy 500 saw it's rating's drop by 32%

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
The Ky Derby is horse racing's biggest event, the ratings were down 43%, the Indy 500 saw it's rating's drop by 32%
Everything will be down until there is some normalcy. Trust me, if Adam Silver didn't think all of the BLM stuff didn't affect the ratings a bit, he wouldn't have addressed it this week. I don't know if the TBS/TNT ratings are better than the ESPN ratings for NBA games, but people have been tuning out ESPN in general for a while now. That could be a big part of the reason for the NBA's declining numbers.

kane

EOG master
Everything will be down until there is some normalcy. Trust me, if Adam Silver didn't think all of the BLM stuff didn't affect the ratings a bit, he wouldn't have addressed it this week. I don't know if the TBS/TNT ratings are better than the ESPN ratings for NBA games, but people have been tuning out ESPN in general for a while now. That could be a big part of the reason for the NBA's declining numbers.

If Silver decided to not allow all the social justice stuff, the BLM written on the court and allowing the players to wear messages on their jersey's, the players would have boycotted the season and their wouldn't have been any bubble postseason, Silver had no choice. Obviously going forward when things get back to some normalcy next season, there won't be the social messaging as we've seen in the bubble

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
If Silver decided to not allow all the social justice stuff, the BLM written on the court and allowing the players to wear messages on their jersey's, the players would have boycotted the season and their wouldn't have been any bubble postseason, Silver had no choice. Obviously going forward when things get back to some normalcy next season, there won't be the social messaging as we've seen in the bubble
I don't disagree, money wins out in the end though. It still won't help ESPN and their ills.

Who knows when ratings in the other sports return. For one day events like the Derby, probably when it moves back to May.