Who knew Derrick Chievous and Railbird think alike on some aspects of college basketball?

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
From part of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch's Dave Matter's Q @ A interview with former Missouri player Derrick Chievous:

Q: Your game was unique. You only had the 3-point shot your final two years at Missouri but you scored from all over the floor. How would your skills in college translate to the modern game?
A
: My game will always translate because I always play hard. And I always worked at my craft. The players today, I work with handicapped adults, and a lot of players today are handicapped. They can only go one way. They try to out-jump you. They don’t try to box out. I would basically stay in the film room and watched all their weaknesses and use them against them. It probably would have been easier (to play today). I watch the games today and it does nothing for me. You’ve got a lot of guys who are athletic with no skills. Most of these guys go to the NBA on potential. The question you have to ask yourself is you go to the NBA and you’re a first-round prospect, why would you go to the G League? That doesn’t make sense to me. Didn’t we draft you to play? They’re letting you know they drafted you on potential. A lot of these guys aren’t ready. They’re not ready because they don’t know the game. It’s all potential. No one studies the game any more. I can come and watch a game and I can tell you who’s ready to play and who’s not ready to play within the first five minutes.

Q: How much college basketball do you watch today?
A:
None. I watch a lot of high school games because my son plays. I watch from the beginning. I tell people you have to come to Special Olympics events and watch one of my guys play and watch him do what he does and you’d swear he was getting paid $100,000. That’s the type of passion you’d want a quote-unquote regular player to have, to have the passion I see in these disabled athletes. It’s amazing. I tell them, ‘Man, dude, how much money are you getting paid to do this?’
The moxie and the fire they have, you don’t see it any more (in the college game). If you see it, name a team that does it. I don’t see it. If you even watch Duke, Duke doesn’t play like a Duke team any more. Remember when they used to slap the floor? Everything now is thrown up to the rim. It’s not really a fun game to watch. That’s just my opinion.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Chievous makes some winning points but I can't help but think he's bitter for some reason.

He was a first-round draft choice of the Houston Rockets, selected 16th overall in the 1988 NBA Draft, but only played three seasons in the NBA.

kane

EOG master
If I'm remembering correctly, Chievous always had a band aid on his face when he played, maybe I'm wrong though

kane

EOG master
"When on the court, Chievous sports a Band-Aid, which is his trademark and also his nickname. Chievous acquired the nickname when he was in Junior High in New York City. A cut was opened above his right eye by a flying elbow, and it took a while to heal. Band-Aided, he scored 45 points in the next game. He then took to wearing a Band-Aid all the time and it just stuck with him."

kane

EOG master
Great memory, Kane.

He was even nicknamed Band-Aid.

I haven't heard his name in many years, but for whatever reason I remembered him always wearing a Band-Aid when he played. Sometimes it's hard to understand the things our brains retain

railbird

EOG Master
I remember when Anthony Peeler came into Vegas, I had "LJ" and Augmon -8, they won by 30.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
against Jason Sutherland

Saw the game myself on TV. I believe Julian Winfield was guarding him. UCLA in bounds the ball underneath their own basket with about 5 seconds remaining, Tyus Edney receives the in bounds pass, goes coast to coast (into the Mizzou lane) and scores game winning bucket as time expires. I've heard Winfield confirm this himself on the radio recently.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
It was Sutherland, not Winfield.

I believe Winfield made the basket to give Mizzou the lead just before Edney's heroics.

Sutherland was definitely the goat.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The No. 1-seeded Bruins trailed the No. 8-seeded Tigers by 1 point with 4.8 seconds remaining when Edney, a turbo point guard, started his cross-country journey. He took the inbounds pass under his own basket, was neck-and-neck with defender Jason Sutherland at midcourt, freed himself with a behind-the-back dribble, made a hairpin turn to the lane and banked in a shot over 6-foot-9-inch Derek Grimm at the buzzer.

Source: The New York Times

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Sutherland ended up out-of-bounds below UCLA's basket as Edney's layup went through the net.

It was the longest 4.8 seconds of Norm Stewart's life.

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
My mistake, misunderstood Winfield on the radio. Maybe he was blaming himself for allowing an easy in bounds pass to Tyus Edney. You can also blame 6' 9" Derick Grimm for allowing Edney, who was a guard, to get a layup over him. It certainly was poor team defense.

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
I believe

I stated the above because it was almost 25 years ago and because of the recent radio interview where it sounded to me like Winfield blamed himself.

Thanks for verifying -- I presume putting your "New York Times" subscription to good use.

For all EOG users, I write 'I believe' when I'm not 100% sure.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
My mistake, misunderstood Winfield on the radio. Maybe he was blaming himself for allowing an easy in bounds pass to Tyus Edney. You can also blame 6' 9" Derick Grimm for allowing Edney, who was a guard, to get a layup over him. It certainly was poor team defense.

Poor team defense is right.

And a great job by Tyus Edney who used his speed to his advantage.

Shades of Danny Ainge in 1981 against Notre Dame.

Ainge had eight seconds, Edney only had 4.8 seconds.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Poor team defense is right.

And a great job by Tyus Edney who used his speed to his advantage.

Shades of Danny Ainge in 1981 against Notre Dame.

Ainge had eight seconds, Edney only had 4.8 seconds.
You had to go there with Ainge lol. I think ND had five NBA players on the court at the end. Probably the last time Bill Lambeer didn’t shove someone in the paint.

kane

EOG master
You had to go there with Ainge lol. I think ND had five NBA players on the court at the end. Probably the last time Bill Lambeer didn’t shove someone in the paint.

Without looking it up, I'll take a stab. Kelly Tripuka, Laimbeer, Orlando Woolridge, Tracey Jackson, Bruce Flowers

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
End of the game scenarios are so hard as you can lose the game by committing a foul. Edney was so fast but, wow - he needed to be doubled by the other guard - get the ball out of his hands at the half court line. But, everybody is so intent on the guy they are guarding not scoring the winning basket.

The only reason I remember it so well was because Sutherland was a star at a high school not far from here. Great athlete - I think he even won the high jump at the state track meet. So, I watched his college games to see how he was doing.