Who will be the 2012 NCAAB champion? (Predict it)

tripp

EOG Master
Re: Who gonna be that 2012 NCAAB champion? (Predict it)

I don't think they defend well enough. They get down too often early and won't be able to come back against very good teams in the tournament. I love watching them play though.

My pick is the square pick of Kentucky. Just the best team there is this year with no doubts in my mind. Syracuse is a team that could definitely beat them, but too much NBA talent, length, and confidence with kentucky for me to go against them

choslamshe

EOG Master

Michigan or Michigan St

BigDaddy

EOG Master

Ohio st :houra

fifty cint

EOG Dedicated

Temple

Sleepy

EOG Master

St. Louis

Integrity

EOG Master

Duke.

KY/UNC also the heavyweights but Coach K is the difference.

High Times

EOG Master

The NBA team that plays in Kentucky

John Calipari will get his championship this year.

The Wildcats should be 1/4 favorites to win it all!

:btj:

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I really don't know why people are saying this is Cal's best team - it seems like that's said every year now. Derrick Rose's Memphis team was better, and you could easily argue the John Wall team was better.

Wall, Bledsoe, Cousins, Patterson and Harrelson all play in the NBA and 3 were lottery picks.

The SEC is so weak this year that it's hard to say anyone in that conference is head and shoulders above anyone. The one good Big Ten team they played (the best conference in basketball) was a loss.

Tripp, Marquette is damn good defensively on the perimeter. Their problem is their tallest player is 6'9 and they are a poor rebounding team. They shoot the three at a championship rate, and have 2 of the 5 best players in the Big East this year IMO - DJ O and Crowder.

I like the St. Louis call. I think Creighton has a better shot than Wichita. The tournament frequently comes down to elite players and Doug McDermott might be the best all-around player in America. McDermott = Larry Bird :scooter.

newport2

EOG Dedicated

The NBA team that plays in Kentucky

John Calipari will get his championship this year.

The Wildcats should be 1/4 favorites to win it all!

:btj:
I'll take the field for any amount you can pronounce! :btj:

High Times

EOG Master

I really don't know why people are saying this is Cal's best team - it seems like that's said every year now. Derrick Rose's Memphis team was better, and you could easily argue the John Wall team was better.

Wall, Bledsoe, Cousins, Patterson and Harrelson all play in the NBA and 3 were lottery picks.

The SEC is so weak this year that it's hard to say anyone in that conference is head and shoulders above anyone. The one good Big Ten team they played (the best conference in basketball) was a loss.

Tripp, Marquette is damn good defensively on the perimeter. Their problem is their tallest player is 6'9 and they are a poor rebounding team. They shoot the three at a championship rate, and have 2 of the 5 best players in the Big East this year IMO - DJ O and Crowder.

I like the St. Louis call. I think Creighton has a better shot than Wichita. The tournament frequently comes down to elite players and Doug McDermott might be the best all-around player in America. McDermott = Larry Bird :scooter.

Dude stop!!!!

The big 10 is not close to being the best basketball conference. Not close!

They have 2 teams! 2!!!!

The rest of the conference is horrible.

Every year we get this Big 10 is the best conference in football and basketball.

And it is NEVER correct.

WOW

Florida. They can play fast or slow, have a good mix of size and speed, can shoot the 3, and have a great coach. The Gators pose a tough match-up with most any team.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Dude stop!!!!

The big 10 is not close to being the best basketball conference. Not close!

They have 2 teams! 2!!!!

The rest of the conference is horrible.

Every year we get this Big 10 is the best conference in football and basketball.

And it is NEVER correct.

WOW

As of now they're projected to get 7 teams into the tournament - would be either the highest, or 2nd highest, % of teams from a conference to make the tournament. They're #1 in the RPI as a conference easily. Please, enlighten me and tell me what is the best conference. I'm a Big East fan, if you couldn't tell from my Marquette prediction and the fact that I'm a Marquette fan. Big East is down this year, and the Big Ten is easily the best conference top to bottom.

As for Kentucky being easily the most talented - I'd argue that UNC is nearly every bit as talented.

Yeguete out for the season most likely. Didn't think they had a shot to begin with since Young's not the kind of big you can run anything through, could see another Butler type team take them out who can guard on the perimeter and hold the glass.
Good point, I did not know the severity of Yeguete's injury. Appears it's a broken foot. I like Florida's backcourt and trust guard play over bigs play in the tourney. There was a discussion about this time last year about how the NBA runs through the bigs, but the NCAA runs through the point guard. Regardless of the injury I expect Florida to advance far. We'll see.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

So Indiana is horrible High Times yet they beat your all-time great Kentucky team. Good stuff. :LMAO

I can only assume you were talking about OSU and MSU being their only "good" teams.

tripp

EOG Master

i absolutely love Crowder's game. One of my favorite players to watch this season. Does it all and makes the absolute most of his size. You are right that marquette is playing without their big men right now and Gardner will make a huge difference, but even he isnt very tall.

If they get hot for 4/5 games they can do serious damage since they have the scorers and they come from lots of different areas, but not sure i would count on that. i hope so though since they tons of fun to watch

Heim

EOG Master

How about Mizzou?

They're as good as the 2006 Nova four guard team that
went to the Elite Eight. A few breaks and you never know.

They're not an easy team to match-up with.

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

duke

carolinakid

Banned

nope duke will not make it playing back to back games on the road, they have no defense.............

carolinakid

Banned

duke will be lucky to make it past the sweet 16

pvcpipe

EOG Master

How about Mizzou?

They're as good as the 2006 Nova four guard team that
went to the Elite Eight. A few breaks and you never know.

They're not an easy team to match-up with.

could get to the finals. could get bounced in round of 32. without being able to rebound a cold FG game kills them.

Kahn

EOG Enthusiast

Murry ST.:lol

Kahn

EOG Enthusiast

Someone from the MT.West

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Another title for an SEC team....been touting Kentucky for awhile now....and I know they are the chalk...

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
Re: Who will be the 2012 NCAAB champion? (Predict it)

Hope you're right Doughboy, I just don't have the same amount of confidence in my boys. In fact I think they might get upset early on in the tourney, of course depending on where/who they get slotted against.

I'll take Syracuse boys. Dangerous squad. With at least 4 games against top 25 schools they're the only undefeated team in the country. They play in big games, going to be a tough out IMO.

railbird

EOG Master

stupid subject BTW. well maybe not stupid, but a dumbed down subject for the masses. Reminds me of when I go to a sports bar and the donkeys have every tv in the bar on the Lakers vs Charolette game, instead of interesting bracket buster games.

pvcpipe

EOG Master

Other than Florida in '07, the overall #1 has been cursed the last 8 years or so. Kentucky falls victim.

High Times

EOG Master

stupid subject BTW. well maybe not stupid, but a dumbed down subject for the masses. Reminds me of when I go to a sports bar and the donkeys have every tv in the bar on the Lakers vs Charolette game, instead of interesting bracket buster games.

I would watch the NBA game too

The college game is horseshit these day's.

Too much NO ACTION going on because of the stupid NO OFFENSE offense's these Coaches force their players into playing.

Who the fuck wants to watch players passing the ball to each other at the key and wait till there's 8 seconds to go in the shot clock and then put up a horrible shot just so the other team can do the same.

You can have your horseshit college basketball.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Leave the MVC predictions to Timely.

Agree it operates differently in the big show, but when you have one pure big and no depth behind him, you could be in trouble. Look at Butler FLA last year. Howard and Marshall combine for 24 and 12 (including 7 O-boards). And FLA lost despite getting huge #s from Macklin and Tyus. No Macklin and Tyus this year. Imagine if they faced a Creighton or Wichita, each team with above-average scoring bigs?

They now look a whole lot like Missouri except Missouri knew its identity from game 1.

I rarely engage in this kind of discussion b/c my .02 it's pointless until the draw comes out.
And now it is ironic that Florida plays the same Norfolk St. team that knocked off Missouri. I think Norfolk shot its load against Mizzou, but +14' is too much.

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

Davis is a more dominant player than any of those guys and you could argue Gilchrest is better now than Wall who faded towards the end of the year (though was still exceptional).

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

probably. Florida already caught a huge break catching Virginia in the round of 64 (EASILY the worst 10 seed on the board).

FWIW I think TH bumping this to show his savvy with Creighton going further than Wichita means absolutely nothing. I had a big play on Creighton vs. Alabama and didn't touch Wichita with a 10 foot pole, because of the draw
these predictions don't mean much without seeing the draw first. You could've said 'I think UVA is going to be around longer than Xavier' in Feb. If Xavier gets FLA in the 1st round, they may not have been around now. Xavier had a great path to the sweet 16 even before Duke went out (although they may lose to Lehigh); UVA was going out 1st 2 rounds guaranteed w this draw
not that TH doesn't know hoops. But I don't think this thread serves his purposes all that much.

Well said

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Davis is a more dominant player than any of those guys and you could argue Gilchrest is better now than Wall who faded towards the end of the year (though was still exceptional).

By the time Rose was in the tournament, I'd say his impact on the game was just as strong as Davis'.

D, I agree with what you said obviously - just didn't mean I wasn't gonna bump it after Boston called Wichita the best team in the country yesterday.