Who would you take, Jeremy Lin or Ricky Rubio?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Re: Who would you take, Jeremy Lin or Ricky Rubio?

Tough question.

No strong opinion.

I lean to Rubio but I don't want to underestimate Lin as others have done.

pbovi

EOG Dedicated

Rubio if I needed to make wigs with human hair..that's it

tripp

EOG Master

Rubio and i don't even need to think about it.

kid is gonna be an absolute star. lin is a nice player, but i dont see star potential with his talent.

Stooches

EOG Senior Member

Rubio. No questions hear either. Lin is having a great run- no doubt. In terms of longevity - Rubio has to be the pick - I predict Lin-sanity is forgot about in 5 years. Rubio is similar to Nash in that if you get some players around him he will make them better, don't know if Lin has that ability.

Integrity

EOG Master

I think this is very close. Lin can score better than Rubio and still dish out a lot of assists.

Figured this was interesting because both are new to the stage, so to speak

tripp

EOG Master

The thing stopping rubio from scoring though is he has absolutely no shot. That is an easy thing to add to your game with practice

His handles, court visions, and passing are at elite levels already. He plays better defense than lin also. He has the quickness to drive but at this point isn't looking for it. Lin is also probably the most turnover prone guy in the league at this point which absolutely cannot continue. Guy has 5-6 turnovers every single game

The thing stopping rubio from scoring though is he has absolutely no shot. That is an easy thing to add to your game with practice

His handles, court visions, and passing are at elite levels already. He plays better defense than lin also. He has the quickness to drive but at this point isn't looking for it. Lin is also probably the most turnover prone guy in the league at this point which absolutely cannot continue. Guy has 5-6 turnovers every single game
Tell that to Rajon Rondo.

This is a tough question. Seven games is not enough to make a decision between the two, but that's why it's fun to speculate. I guess I'd have to say I'd go with Lin by a hair. I think when you see a player perform at a high level and then it tapers off, oftentimes it's because of a lack of hard work and focus. You've seen him play great sometimes, so why not all the time? Maybe it's pressure that gets to guys' heads or maybe it's just that they're lazy -- millions in the bank tends to do that to a person. Lin is doing what he's doing in MSG in the New York market. If the pressure hasn't gotten to him now, I don't think it will suffocate his career. As for hard work, I wouldn't doubt Lin to work as hard as he ever has going forward. Maybe it's a bias because he's Asian and went to Harvard, but I see this guy playing his ass off for years without letting the trappings of success get to his head.

pbovi

EOG Dedicated

Has anybody even watched Rubio? The potential may be there but right now this guy is like a deer in the headlights. He looks timid and overwhelmed at times. No possible way he would have even had the stones to take that last second shot against Toronto let alone drain it. Lin is turnover prone but much of that has to do with building chemistry, in addition to the fact that many of these guys used to sit back and watch Carmelo play one on one and thus are still getting over the shock of receiving the ball in a position to score. Rubio plays in Minnesota where even the Steak and Shakes close at 9 PM. Lin is in arguably the biggest spotlight in the world and has thrived. Ricky Rubio may come of age one day, but right now he is a distant second. There is no comparison.

tripp

EOG Master

Has anybody even watched Rubio? The potential may be there but right now this guy is like a deer in the headlights. He looks timid and overwhelmed at times. No possible way he would have even had the stones to take that last second shot against Toronto let alone drain it. Lin is turnover prone but much of that has to do with building chemistry, in addition to the fact that many of these guys used to sit back and watch Carmelo play one on one and thus are still getting over the shock of getting the ball in a position to score. Rubio plays in Minnesota where even the Steak and Shakes close at 9 PM. Lin is in arguably the biggest spotlight in the world and has thrived. Ricky Rubio may come of age one day, but right now he is a distant second. There is no comparison.

Rubio isn't scared of the moment, even with a very poor shot. He couldn't hit a shot to save his life earlier in the year in a game vs the Clippers, but still had the stones to take (and nail) a game tying 3 in the final minute of the game.

we obviously don't see the same thing watching this kid. I watch the wolves every chance i get because of him, and he is usually spectacular to watch outside of his very poor scoring ability. moves his feet very well on defense, incredibly intelligent player on the court, and his court awareness is at an elite level. the passes he makes on a regular basis are unreal.

as a knicks fan im very happy with Lin, but would kill to have Rubio as a knick. i thought they were gonna get him in the draft also but wolves were smart and stuck to their guns

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

Has anybody even watched Rubio? The potential may be there but right now this guy is like a deer in the headlights. He looks timid and overwhelmed at times. No possible way he would have even had the stones to take that last second shot against Toronto let alone drain it. Lin is turnover prone but much of that has to do with building chemistry, in addition to the fact that many of these guys used to sit back and watch Carmelo play one on one and thus are still getting over the shock of receiving the ball in a position to score. Rubio plays in Minnesota where even the Steak and Shakes close at 9 PM. Lin is in arguably the biggest spotlight in the world and has thrived. Ricky Rubio may come of age one day, but right now he is a distant second. There is no comparison.

Rubios job is not to score. He is top 5 in the league is assists (which is great) and very young. No way can you be too disappointed in him. Young team around him too.

pbovi

EOG Dedicated

Rubio isn't scared of the moment, even with a very poor shot. He couldn't hit a shot to save his life earlier in the year in a game vs the Clippers, but still had the stones to take (and nail) a game tying 3 in the final minute of the game.

we obviously don't see the same thing watching this kid. I watch the wolves every chance i get because of him, and he is usually spectacular to watch outside of his very poor scoring ability. moves his feet very well on defense, incredibly intelligent player on the court, and his court awareness is at an elite level. the passes he makes on a regular basis are unreal.

as a knicks fan im very happy with Lin, but would kill to have Rubio as a knick. i thought they were gonna get him in the draft also but wolves were smart and stuck to their guns
I do agree with some of your points about Rubio but as you say his ability to score is poor. Big men like Dwight Howard and Shaq can get away with that. Little men cannot. Unless he develops that he can never get to the promised land.

tripp

EOG Master

I do agree with some of your points about Rubio but as you say his ability to score is poor. Big men like Dwight Howard and Shaq can get away with that. Little men cannot. Unless he develops that he can never get to the promised land.

Jason kidd led two different franchises to a title game and never had the ability to score. Rubio has even more potential than Kidd imo and kidd is a hall of famer most likely.

I do agree he has to add that scoring ability to his game because if he does he jumps into elite status in the nba. He already has most of the other skills. 2 years from now Id be surprised if he wasnt leading the league in assists and steals. If he can score 15 per game and add a shot to his game like steve nash then look out, he is something special.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Jason kidd led two different franchises to a title game and never had the ability to score. Rubio has even more potential than Kidd imo and kidd is a hall of famer most likely.

I do agree he has to add that scoring ability to his game because if he does he jumps into elite status in the nba. He already has most of the other skills. 2 years from now Id be surprised if he wasnt leading the league in assists and steals. If he can score 15 per game and add a shot to his game like steve nash then look out, he is something special.

What does this even mean? I hope you're not implying that he's a good defender... He may be the worst defensive PG in the NBA right now and he leads the league in steals.

Your love affair with Rubio has always been prevalent. Comparing him to Jason Kidd seems a bit absurd - similar to anyone that is comparing Lin to Nash. Jason Kidd in his prime was a very good defender, the best rebounder at his position, and one of the 3 best passers. He was explosive off the dribble, and Rubio is not. Rubio is closer to the early-on Jason Williams than he is Jason Kidd. Jason Williams was exciting and flashy, but his overall athletic ability really limited his progress.

The answer to this question is so easy, and I'm not even a huge Lin fan. Jeremy Lin is the easy answer. He has similar vision, more explosion off the dribble, a ++ ability to finish around the bucket, and a much better jump shot. Rubio is better than I thought (since he has the worst jump shot in the NBA at the guard position) but this idea that you can easily develop a jump shot is pretty laughable.

Lin is in a great PG system as well - which can't be overlooked.

Tripp just said Rubio has more potential than Jason Kidd. Comments like that are simply puzzling... It's like those comparing Lin's passing to Steve Nash. What is wrong with these people??

Lin is averaging 6 turnovers a game. Rubio is shooting 37% from the field (after starting off the season luckily on fire). Let's hold off on the Hall of Fame comparisons, please.

PonyOne

EOG Enthusiast

Way way way to early to know which one will be the better player.
Rubio fits the Wolves needs to a "T"!

Lin does as well for now, but.........Who's to say that Lin is not off to a similar (slightly better) hot start like Rubio. What will his stats look like if he slows down? The big test is coming soon for Lin as Carmelo is just about ready. No matter how diplomatic "Melo" is now, if he doesn't get what he considers his fair share of touches, "Melo will not be mellow". Then the fun begins!

I've seen Rubio make adjustments as the season has gone on. He could score more if he wanted, but his turnover ratio would go way up like Lin's. Lin, in my opinion, plays one way, ball in hand (right hand only) and he soon might have to share. Let's see how that plays out. I hope it works out ok, so this fabulous debate continues.

I'm with Tripp, give me RiiiiiiickaaaY Ruuuubio all day long.

Integrity

EOG Master

Had a feeling Timely would take Lin.

Makes me feel better about asking this question.

Hard to go wrong with either. Liking that there is strong thought on either side.

I wanna side with Lin but think I could be a little in the moment.

Integrity

EOG Master

And that Rubio vid was sick, Tripp.

I was/am so hyped on Rubio. (mainly cuz I got him on fantasy before the year) And now I got Lin too lol.

Just happy with both and am making each time to see either must see tv

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I'd like to know how Rubio could "score more" if he wanted too... He shoots 37% from the field. Since shooting 61% in December (3 games) he's shot 36% in January and 35% in February. He doesn't get high percentage shots because he's not explosive enough to frequent the lane and he's not stronge enough to finish once he gets there.

He's a TERRIFIC passer, but that's not enough if you can't shoot or drive with consistency. Lin has proven he can score at this level, and be an effective passer.

As for Lin only being able to go right, that's 100% true right now. That being said, the scouting report has said that since college and people haven't been able to "shut him down" with that knowledge. He's stronger, faster and more athletic than Rubio - he also has a much more efficient jump shot. Their both dreadful on the defensive end. Gotta get back to doing some work, but not a bad discussion.

tripp

EOG Master

Lin is also 2 years older than Rubio so no big surprise he is stronger and a little more polished at the offensive end. Rubio in the offseason needs to hit the weight room and put in the hours on his jump shot and he can be something else. He is faster than you give him credit for and a better defender also. I've been impressed with his movement defensively and his hands are phenomenal for forcing steals. Again being able to stop guys one on one comes down to him needing to fill out his frame more and that will come.

The guy just turned 21 a few months ago and he is playing a very different game now than he has most his life in europe (a game he is MUCH better suited for). Give him time.