why cant you win at gambling?

#4
Re: why cant you win at gambling?

one reason u cant win is because of cple of things!

1 100% fixing is involved in games

2 players dont show up and dont give thier best when ur the favor and should win the game

these are the main things when it comes to gambling !
 
#7
Re: why cant you win at gambling?

When coming to Vegas, the majority on these forums do not visit the Aliante, Silverton, or Eureka Casinos........................non-professional types.
 
#12
Re: why cant you win at gambling?

^^ true and of course it guarantees nothing (and doesn't include arbing), but it gives you the best chance. last brief study i read on this, believe it was between 0.8-1.3% improvement which is material for volume pro's.
 
#14
Re: why cant you win at gambling?

one reason u cant win is because of cple of things!

1 100% fixing is involved in games

2 players dont show up and dont give thier best when ur the favor and should win the game

these are the main things when it comes to gambling !
So is it one thing or a couple things? Lol.
 
#17
Re: why cant you win at gambling?

90% of people that gamble DON'T want to win, that leaves only 10% to do the other correct things, and 99% of those remaining 10% don't.
 

Touchback

EOG Enthusiast
#19
Re: why cant you win at gambling?

Vegas and the offshore industry was not built on winners... though there are a small percentage that do withdrawal regularly. On the other hand I have looked at histories of guys that send a nickel a week up to 10 dimes per high season that have never taken a payout for over 5 or more years. It just baffles me how they can so consistently lose... I could make all my picks by flipping a coin and probably regularly take a payout. Reminds of college... had a history professor give a mid term and he used the scantron which is fill in the circle for your answer A, B, C, or D. He had a very difficult curriculum and always graded on the curve. So we take this midterm and no one outright scored above a 90% but he was pissed... listed all the scores on the board in the lecture room and then looked at the lowest. The lowest was a 12% and 5 people had scored below 20% total. He then lectured us on random statistics and said if these people had just randomly picked answers they should have had scores over 20% and that he was just baffled by the situation. So... there are just people out there that are losers and it is unexplainable... or at the least I cannot explain it. I would just fade the shit out of one of these guys when I spotted this type of history on a sheet...
 
#20
Re: why cant you win at gambling?

I think a lot of it has to do with how you react to losing streaks. Everybody goes on bad runs but not everyone starts betting 10-20x's more because of it. Not everyone goes on tilt.

If you stay the course, bad runs will turn into good runs. ALWAYS.
 

Touchback

EOG Enthusiast
#22
Re: why cant you win at gambling?

Jimmy... frickn great. Foged boud ed. Between Cheapo Casino and the Korean Airline Pilots of yesterday I have been laughing for 2 days straight.
 
#27
Re: why cant you win at gambling?

90% of people that gamble DON'T want to win, that leaves only 10% to do the other correct things, and 99% of those remaining 10% don't.
sharp post :lightbulb:

I am definitely in the 90% group. It's not exactly that they dont WANT to win, but they dont want to sit back and make small value plays and grind out profits. they want big scores, they want action and that is what i am like

If i have a BR of lets say $900 and it's opening week of the NFL. I really like the Falcons to beat New Orleans, i may put 350-400 on the Falcons ML. Longterm that is bookies dream and it shows no money management. I understand that but i dont care. I dont get excitement from $25-50 plays at this time in my life. Id rather play larger % of my br and if i get hot see how much bank i can make quickly

I do think more people could make money gambling if they had discipline and organization as fish mentioned earlier, but i dont think many people do, or even have the desire to (i know i dont)
 
#32
Re: why cant you win at gambling?

First question the premise of this all. Ask most bettors what their real goal is. The 90% not really trying to win will say things like win this next bet, to have action on the game, because my buddy wanted to bet on it, because I'm stuck and doubling up...etc etc. They aren't saying something like I want to hit 53+% winners so I can be a long term winner. Most people have no concept of this.

If you don't set a proper goal, you probably won't reach the only relevant goal we are discussing here. If the goal is to be a long term winner, one doesn't even need to say hit 53% winners. Just say you want to be a long term winner and things change. You shop lines. You become selective. You reduce the times you chase. You stop throwing money away on bets because the game is on TV. You set a proper target and you get better results.

My assertion is a lot of people actually win money betting on sports. Sure its not half of those who bet or anything close to it, but its quite a few. Lots of them just don't bet much. They have a 55% winning method, but they only use it when they go to Vegas twice a year. They might use it a lot, but think you know if I start betting "real" money I'll fail. There are countless ways you could see things where someone is a winner, but isn't winning the kind of money people in here talk about. What if I told you follow this method and I guarantee you win $100 a month? Tons of people would say that means nothing to me, I'd rather lose and be a gambler than win a small amount following your method.

So once again just focus on what the real goal should be and see if you are targeted towards that. If you are I agree with Fishhead's quote up there, in a couple of years you should be able to beat sports. Beat it, not necessarily make a living off of it.
 
#33
Re: why cant you win at gambling?

A little different take on this is that I find it's harder to lose consistently with the proliferation of in-game wagering. There are more outs now to bail on a game that's not going according to your handicap and middling opportunities have also increased. The only negative to this is that I've cost myself some money by bailing too early.
 

Brick

EOG Master
#34
Re: why cant you win at gambling?

my inability to double up 5 times in a row consistantly kills me, but i do get a few nice checks a year
 

Brick

EOG Master
#35
Re: why cant you win at gambling?

sharp post :lightbulb:

I am definitely in the 90% group. It's not exactly that they dont WANT to win, but they dont want to sit back and make small value plays and grind out profits. they want big scores, they want action and that is what i am like

If i have a BR of lets say $900 and it's opening week of the NFL. I really like the Falcons to beat New Orleans, i may put 350-400 on the Falcons ML. Longterm that is bookies dream and it shows no money management. I understand that but i dont care. I dont get excitement from $25-50 plays at this time in my life. Id rather play larger % of my br and if i get hot see how much bank i can make quickly

I do think more people could make money gambling if they had discipline and organization as fish mentioned earlier, but i dont think many people do, or even have the desire to (i know i dont)
tripper this sounds like me, we are degenerate gamblers i think they call us:scooter except i put the whole 900 on falcons
 
Top