Will We See MLB In 2020?

dogball

EOG Master
If there is only a 50 game season, Baltimore Orioles have a shot to make the postseason.

Simply no point in playing if its 50 games only.
Agreed. Owners counter with 90. I didn’t anticipate these hurdles when predicting yes there would be season but I still think a deal gets agreed on as a practical matter

Valuist

EOG Master
Barry Rozner of the (suburban Chicago) Daily Herald believes there will be a season. He said expect difficult negotiations but it will get done. I don't believe it. The clock is ticking. They have maybe a week or two at the most to come to an agreement.

I would post the link but the DH is a pay site.

If there is only a 50 game season, Baltimore Orioles have a shot to make the postseason.

Simply no point in playing if its 50 games only.

What difference does it make now? Its always going to be an asterisk season and the numbers are going to mostly be ignored. The reason for considering just 50 games is that's how you get some content and then most importantly for the league, playoff money. I mean they could generate a fair amount of money if they said we're just going to have the playoffs this year and last year's playoff bracket is going to be used. Lots of fans will be pissed, but its content and that's all the owners care about at this point if they can't have fans in the stands.

Valuist

EOG Master
What difference does it make now? Its always going to be an asterisk season and the numbers are going to mostly be ignored. The reason for considering just 50 games is that's how you get some content and then most importantly for the league, playoff money. I mean they could generate a fair amount of money if they said we're just going to have the playoffs this year and last year's playoff bracket is going to be used. Lots of fans will be pissed, but its content and that's all the owners care about at this point if they can't have fans in the stands.

Assuming the players would be on board for a fraction of the season. I'm not sure that would happen. I stand by the 80 game minimum. Anything less and its meaningless. And the public won't tune in. The greater pct of their season where they go head to head with pro and college football will not work well for baseball.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
50, 90, 114, zero. If Korea goes with their scheduled 144 it won't make a difference to me if there's no season.

MrTop

EOG Master
Manfred is a stiff. and the players know it. Manfred should come out and say 80 games & prorated salary or the owners will forget the season. 50 games is silly for the fans

Assuming the players would be on board for a fraction of the season. I'm not sure that would happen. I stand by the 80 game minimum. Anything less and its meaningless. And the public won't tune in. The greater pct of their season where they go head to head with pro and college football will not work well for baseball.

Have you ever negotiated anything? The 50 game comment is just thrown out there to make an offer they know will never get accepted. Point being 50 game economics for the owners work as well or better than 80 or more games, but obviously the players won't agree to it.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Have you ever negotiated anything? The 50 game comment is just thrown out there to make an offer they know will never get accepted. Point being 50 game economics for the owners work as well or better than 80 or more games, but obviously the players won't agree to it.
And the owners know the real money is in the playoffs. Now this year may be different as they may have to share playoff revenue with the players. In a normal year, they don’t.

Valuist

EOG Master

Ever negotiate with MLB and their players union? I doubt, because they basically don't. Don't expect a counter proposal from the offer that was rejected today.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
114 game proposal rejected. No counterproposal expected. With each passing day progress continues to be at a stand still. I'd have absolutely zero interest if the season lasted a mere 50 games. You can put an asterisk next to 2020 whatever is decided, but to me it makes no sense to play with no set plans in place and overpaid athletes constantly complaining about salary cuts.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Baseball can't somehow figure it out but basketball can? So The greed of both sides especially the players wins and everyone loses?
FWIW
I would take any MLB in less than one second but it's not looking good.
https://nypost.com/2020/06/06/mlb-risking-a-serious-blow-to-its-tv-backbone/
An idiotic article, it implies that people would be too scared to attend if they were able too, Zero evidence of that as everything ramps up far quicker than thought possible a month ago, not to mention there isn't much reticsnce to flood the streets is there?

If the players don't give in some I could see the owners playing real hard ball and turning this into over a years worth of hell. I get it though, everything is contracted in a way that makes a long season and fans in the stands a necessity. But bigger picture I think the owners are going to push really hard for a revenue share cap as every other sport uses to at least some degree.

MrTop

EOG Master
If the players don't give in some I could see the owners playing real hard ball and turning this into over a years worth of hell. I get it though, everything is contracted in a way that makes a long season and fans in the stands a necessity. But bigger picture I think the owners are going to push really hard for a revenue share cap as every other sport uses to at least some degree.

agree they will stick it to the players good. Here is their shot.. Season half gone & no fans ??? wow just add water instant loser for the players .they are idiots to ask for pro rated salary
no fans means no tickets, no hot dogs, no parking.. how could the players ask to meet them half way?

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
The Japanese League is getting ready to start, and two of its best players just tested positive last week. MLB has to account for that scenario also.

Valuist

EOG Master
I would assume they will sit for 2-3 weeks then be good to go, a very manageable occurrence.

I agree. This won't be Adam Silver on March 11. If you test positive, go to the DL/IL and it's next man up. The virus isn't killing professional athletes in their 20s and 30s.

MrTop

EOG Master
Baseball Had a Chance to Be the First Team Sport Back. It Blew It.
Owners and the players’ union remain deadlocked in a standoff over how to appropriately divide billions of dollars in a pandemic-shortened season

sad

Valuist

EOG Master
Watched a KBO game the other day for the first time. It was refreshing to see batted balls in play; no obsession with strikeouts, walks and HRs.

mr merlin

EOG Master
When the virus is virtually gone in late july or early august, it'll be crystal clear what a horrible mistake baseball made.

Like who is really disappointed by this? MLB going to lose further relevance if NBA or NHL realize playing in summer is easy money for them taking fans bored of baseball and it's endless season.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Like who is really disappointed by this? MLB going to lose further relevance if NBA or NHL realize playing in summer is easy money for them taking fans bored of baseball and it's endless season.

BINGO

In a "normal" season the NHL is over by now and the NBA is within days of ending, too. That leaves MLB as the only thing for a few months until NFLX gets underway.

BUT if there is no MLB but the NBA/NHL Playoffs are going on NO ONE WILL MISS MLB! NO ONE!

And if MLB misses this season they will need to do something about 2021 but 2021 looks to have the same circumstances as 2020.

The blame is equally shared if there is no MLB with the biggest winner being the NHL

Valuist

EOG Master
BINGO

In a "normal" season the NHL is over by now and the NBA is within days of ending, too. That leaves MLB as the only thing for a few months until NFLX gets underway.

BUT if there is no MLB but the NBA/NHL Playoffs are going on NO ONE WILL MISS MLB! NO ONE!

And if MLB misses this season they will need to do something about 2021 but 2021 looks to have the same circumstances as 2020.

The blame is equally shared if there is no MLB with the biggest winner being the NHL

Hockey will always be a niche sport, IMO. People tend to watch and gravitate toward games they played when younger. Most guys have played baseball or basketball or football at some point. I don't think that's the case for hockey. Maybe if one grows up in Minnesota or Canada but for warm weather climates? And inner city? No way are they playing it. I also think hockey is far better to watch in person than on TV. TV money is where its at.

MrTop

EOG Master
no fans means no parking $, no hot dog $ , no tickets , etc so how do the players ask for pro rated money ? it has to be less.. the players blew it.. shut them out for 5 years

Hockey will always be a niche sport, IMO. People tend to watch and gravitate toward games they played when younger. Most guys have played baseball or basketball or football at some point. I don't think that's the case for hockey. Maybe if one grows up in Minnesota or Canada but for warm weather climates? And inner city? No way are they playing it. I also think hockey is far better to watch in person than on TV. TV money is where its at.

Hockey does well with those who see the game in person. It has little to do with past participation. TV money matters, but the sport has never had a dependence on it as the other 3 sports have. As for its place in the sports hierarchy, I don't know why so many people care. I don't ever expect it to pass the others and don't get why some act like there is some pride in this. I will always watch hockey first and spend most of my ticket money on hockey and don't care what others think. I selfishly would love for the game to go to a late-summer ending not for the ratings, but because i'd rather attend games at those times if the tradeoff is no games in the fall when I've got other things going on and football obviously is winning the attention of most sports watchers then.