Will We See MLB In 2020?

I team I could see mailing it in would be a veteran team if they start bad - Giants perhaps?

Its more like teams who figure to be bad will just mutually agree with their vets to not use them much. If you have a mediocre or bad team and lots of big contracts that are going off the books this year, you're incentive is to use rookies or backups to give them experience and see what you have after this season. A team might have thought I'll use a youngster 40-50 games this year and keep the veteran in most games, but now you probably are thinking let's give him those 40-50 games and the veteran might get close to none. In a normal situation this would kill your reputation with players league wide because it prevents them from getting a deal next season, but with the short season and all that's going on they might be fine with such an arrangement.

blueline

EOG Master
Due to current protocols, Miami will be without Urena, catcher Jorge Alfaro, infielder Garrett Cooper, and outfielder Harold Ramirez until each player shows no symptoms for at least 72 hours, and registers negative on two covid tests at least 24 hours apart.

More importantly, there’s a danger that other players/coaches/staff on the Marlins, and players/coaches/staff on this past weekend’s opponent. The Philadelphia Phillies have also contracted the virus and will soon test positive.

Miami announced Sunday it was delaying its flight out of Philadelphia until Monday, scheduling its arrival in Miami hours before a home game vs. Baltimore. This will be a fluid story Monday morning, so be sure to follow VSiN programming throughout the day for updates.

Initially, observers had two major concerns about the MLB restart. Could players avoid the virus? And, would high-impact stars be more injury prone after an abbreviated “summer” training session.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Due to current protocols, Miami will be without Urena, catcher Jorge Alfaro, infielder Garrett Cooper, and outfielder Harold Ramirez until each player shows no symptoms for at least 72 hours, and registers negative on two covid tests at least 24 hours apart.

More importantly, there’s a danger that other players/coaches/staff on the Marlins, and players/coaches/staff on this past weekend’s opponent. The Philadelphia Phillies have also contracted the virus and will soon test positive.

Miami announced Sunday it was delaying its flight out of Philadelphia until Monday, scheduling its arrival in Miami hours before a home game vs. Baltimore. This will be a fluid story Monday morning, so be sure to follow VSiN programming throughout the day for updates.

Initially, observers had two major concerns about the MLB restart. Could players avoid the virus? And, would high-impact stars be more injury prone after an abbreviated “summer” training session.
They won didn't they?

Setback to a degree for MLB, but once again these guys aren't reportedly showing symptoms. And while not impossible, its unlikely they spread it to other team players or coaches. The real risk remains "in-house" so the entire Marlins organization has to be the focus, guys they are eating with or spending a lot of time. In the meantime, on MLB to find out who got into the bubble with it in Atlanta if that's where they think they got it from.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
The "vast majority" of Washington Nationalsplayers reportedly voted against going to Miami this weekend for a three-game series against the Miami Marlins, according to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic.

Rosenthal noted that Major League Baseball will decide whether the games will be played or postponed.
The players shouldn't have the say in this, the Doctors and the union should. Miami players voted to play sunday in Philly, that should have been MLB's doctors decision.

The players shouldn't have the say in this, the Doctors and the union should. Miami players voted to play sunday in Philly, that should have been MLB's doctors decision.

Agreed, can't fathom how it was a players decision if there were known positives. I would have thought those huge rule books they came up with for this would have stated that here is the exact policy, no voting or player decisions allowed when it comes to a positive test.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
You have to wonder if it were the Yankees instead of the Marlins, would they shut it down. As bad a look as this is, it would be worse if it happens around the playoffs.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
It's greed and money. I will say I don't blame them wanting to play now and go on business as usual because leagues and conferences do stand to lose a lot. BUT and a big BUT....

You can't police people especially entitled athletes. All it takes is for one person who has it to spread to half the team then what? This isnt hysteria nor is it me striking fear into anybody, it's called fuxking reality. In late November when half the season is gone with 0 positive tests (which wont ever happen anyways) and D.Adams gets it in cold GB and spreads it to half his team including A.Rodgers then what? Explain to me how things work then? Next men up? Do they not have to follow quarantine rules like average joes? I don't understand why people cant grasp this new reality, the new norm. We should call it off and prepare for next year. Not have a season without fans that will most likely demotivate everybody combined with the uncertainty of this virus still. I don't know about you but are you really going to have the same respect for wins and stats as you would with any other season? Hell no!

How do you D.Lawrence isnt just showing up just to show up and collect his full salary? You dont know. All summer he has been spouting off how he feels uncomfortable to play. Scrap the seaon already otherwise its going to be a big waste of time especially for gamblers.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Well the UK and my country has managed the virus and things better than the US (soccer has done it) would you morons shut the f up. America has 350 plus million people, more than 5 times of that of the UK. Football involves contact too while soccer you get penalized.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Looking more and more like baseball will not finish the 60 games....more players will opt out.....
I dont know, they're almost 10% of the way through the season, in a week those players will be back on the field, the sport can go on easily. The league can survive just fine without the marlins. if a team plane crashed the sport would mourn and then move on.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Golf is doing it right, last week they allowed players who test positive to play(after a 10 day period), this week they changed that to allow them to play with anyone and they also will no longer even test those players.

Letting science guide you instead of getting hysterical is always better.

kane

EOG master
Another Marlin Tested positive today, that means 16 of the 33 players who traveled to Philly are now Covid positive

TobyTyler

EOG Dedicated
"There will be no baseball this year"
- Kane

"We will all die"
- Kane

"I wet my panties"
-Kane muffled thru his mask while driving alone

kane

EOG master
Athletes are best equipped to handle the virus, young, healthy, in great shape, strong immune systems, etc

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Im focused on health but then the gambling aspect. We cant place win totals on NFL because there is too much uncertainty. Cant even place bets on games (well I cant) because of uncertainty.

I bet Dodgers because WildBill made that post and it kind of made sense but those bets are far and between.

mr merlin

EOG Master
It's being reported none of them have severe symptoms, it seems like they all have sore throats, aches, runny noses, stuff like that, so at least that's a good thing
interesting, i dont think runny noses or sore throats are the usual symptoms, sounds like a bullshit story, more likely 2 of them have a headache and the other dozen have nothing at all.

blueline

EOG Master
Another Marlin Tested positive today, that means 16 of the 33 players who traveled to Philly are now Covid positive

Bob Nightengale went on a Pittsburgh radio station and said he had heard Marlins players left the hotel in atlanta to go drinking etc

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
It's being reported none of them have severe symptoms, it seems like they all have sore throats, aches, runny noses, stuff like that, so at least that's a good thing
The problem we have now (sports or everyday life) is if you have a symptom or two, do you call in sick? I see this everywhere with my job. It’s a really tough call.

kane

EOG master
interesting, i dont think runny noses or sore throats are the usual symptoms, sounds like a bullshit story, more likely 2 of them have a headache and the other dozen have nothing at all.

It's a hoax, 2 of them have it, the other 14 are just faking it, not sure why exactly, but I think you're on to something

kane

EOG master
The problem we have now (sports or everyday life) is if you have a symptom or two, do you call in sick? I see this everywhere with my job. It’s a really tough call.

If you have a symptom or two, you stay the hell away from everyone and get tested. Would you want to work next to someone who's exhibiting symptoms of Covid?

kane

EOG master
Bob Nightengale went on a Pittsburgh radio station and said he had heard Marlins players left the hotel in atlanta to go drinking etc

That's the rumor down here as well, no one knows for sure though, if that's what happened I have to think it eventually comes out

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
If you have a symptom or two, you stay the hell away from everyone and get tested. Would you want to work next to someone who's exhibiting symptoms of Covid?
and that’s the problem, it’s impossible. Do you call in if you cough? What about a simple sneeze?

mr merlin

EOG Master
It's a hoax, 2 of them have it, the other 14 are just faking it, not sure why exactly, but I think you're on to something
I'm not saying you're lying, just that the reports are obviously made up, someone asked how they're doing, the answer was that generic "sniffles" response, , no one polled the positive players.

Supposedly they'll start their season again next week, but who knows

Break out the taxi squad, the show can't stop really. Yeah sucks for them a bit, but some guys might be showing negative tests by then and come on its the Marlins. Of all teams, this one should be able to bring up AAA players and not miss too much. This all had to be contemplated before, they should just follow whatever they came up with.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Break out the taxi squad, the show can't stop really. Yeah sucks for them a bit, but some guys might be showing negative tests by then and come on its the Marlins. Of all teams, this one should be able to bring up AAA players and not miss too much. This all had to be contemplated before, they should just follow whatever they came up with.
Yup, they still have like 14 players who dont have it, so you have 3-4-5 guys(starting) who aren't as polished , but are real hungry, it's baseball, they could win a lot of games.

Valuist

EOG Master
So now any time somebody clears their throat, people are like "OMG he's got the Rona". Moustakis and Senzel were thought to be virus infectees last weekend, but both were back in the lineup tonight.

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
I will say this: The players' heads are NOT in these games.

I feel like I've seen a full season's worth of baserunning mistakes already, mostly involving forgetting how many outs there are in the inning.

On Tuesday, Nolan Arenado, widely considered the best defensive 3B in the game, fielded a routine grounder with 2 outs and a runner on 3rd...

...and he threw HOME!!!!

I don't know if it's the lack of fans or all the other BS going on in the world, but these guys' minds are elsewhere right now.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Looks more like the season will end by next week....too many players testing positive and players not following the rules set forth by health officials