Will We See MLB In 2020?

Valuist

EOG Master
I see the Marlins' infectees will all be headed back to Miami on a bus. Imagine having to be that bus driver. How about those rest stops along the way. Maybe hit a strip club in Atlanta on the way back.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Looks more like the season will end by next week....too many players testing positive and players not following the rules set forth by health officials
There are no health official rules, there are guidelines in the protocol, does anyone think it spreads because of a high 5? THey planned on constant testing to immediately detect and remove infected players, and presumably replace them, thats smart, but if you're going to panic and shut down the whole team or even teams, why did you start to begin with? NO one thinks there will be no cases, and it'll obviously be worse for football.

sharky99

EOG Dedicated
getting cases is inevitable but if your going to go through all this crap and players are not following the measures put in place to protect them, team and staff then it will take care of itself and eventually they may shutdown. I don't like the moving around and travelling, having hub cities appears to be a better plan early.

Teams need veteran leaders to police things. This shit of going off campus when millions of dollars are at stake would not fly with real leaders. Not terribly surprised the Marlins were doing this though, zero leaders and a bunch of guys who aren't even sure if they are in teams future plans.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Rob Manfred has officially put the owners and players on alert. If cases break out over the weekend, it's likely the league will be shut down for good as early as Monday. Add to the fact that you have a potential hurricane landfall upcoming, and there will be even more postponements on the horizon, adding to an already huge mess.

Now that NBA is going, NHL is tomorrow and NFL is only about a month away I don't see baseball shutting down upsetting the public too much. Baseball needs to keep it going more for themselves than to feed a starving public.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Now that NBA is going, NHL is tomorrow and NFL is only about a month away I don't see baseball shutting down upsetting the public too much. Baseball needs to keep it going more for themselves than to feed a starving public.
You guys watch NBA, I dont.

Valuist

EOG Master

If MLB shuts down the others have no chance. Sports like MLB, golf and tennis social distance naturally. Basketball and football don't. If baseball doesn't survive, I expect the others to not make it.

mr merlin

EOG Master
If MLB shuts down the others have no chance. Sports like MLB, golf and tennis social distance naturally. Basketball and football don't. If baseball doesn't survive, I expect the others to not make it.
If they shut down it's because they choose to, not because they have to. Right now they're in chicken little mode, instead of managing the pandemics effects like they presumably planned.

Valuist

EOG Master
If they shut down it's because they choose to, not because they have to. Right now they're in chicken little mode, instead of managing the pandemics effects like they presumably planned.

I don't think it's a lock they shut down. Sounds like most of Marlins are asymptomatic, or have mild cases. Big rosters.....next man up. If they don't shut down in next week, they will make it IMO.

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
Right now I am so proud of MLB for really trying and thus far limping through and giving the World something.
In the meantime for selfish and even political motivations the doom and the gloom Democrats are so hoping for Baseball to fail.
Another reason to root for Baseball. To many dems hating Trump is more important than loving Baseball and or what's good for everyone.

Last edited:

jimmythegreek

MLB dropped the ball in the "it's up to you attitude" rather than getting involved with the decision making to play themselves when the infections took place. Now that this pattern is spreading, schedule makers have the biggest headache scrambling to play makeup games to meet deadlines. I hope for the best, but this has gone beyond desperatism hoping for the best rather than their chance to prepare for the worst.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Lotta pathetic guys refreshing twitter hoping it gets shut down so they can runa round crowing about it. Sad.
Lots of headlines...4 more cardinals test positive, I think it's 1, the rest are clubhouse guys, so now we care about clubhouse guys huh?

kane

EOG master
Lorenzo Cain opted out. I saw a stat that blew me away, since 2015 the top 4 outfielders in terms of WAR are: Trout, Betts, Yelich, and Cain, I knew the guy was good, but that's some pretty good company he's keeping

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Nah. There is a bigger picture on display. Now Votto is on IL. I dont know exactly what's going on but it stinks to high heaven with that team.

Once again, it isnt hysteria. Its just the reality we live in now.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Nah. There is a bigger picture on display. Now Votto is on IL. I dont know exactly what's going on but it stinks to high heaven with that team.

Once again, it isnt hysteria. Its just the reality we live in now.
He's sick but he didn't test positive, prob the usual food poisoning, is there more?

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Timing I find funny. It just leads me to believe you can have it and still test negative for a while. I think America is fucked for a while anyways.

jimmythegreek

Just confirmed by mlbn Cespedes is opting out due to COVID 19 concerns. Probanly embarrassed he shot a 90 +18 today.

Valuist

EOG Master
It seems like a lot of funny stuff happens when teams are in Atlanta. I've only been there once, many years ago, and just driving thru on the way to Florida. But supposedly the town is quite famous for its strip clubs.

Weren't the Marlins in Atlanta before a bunch got the Rona? Hard to socially distance when getting a lapper.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
It seems like a lot of funny stuff happens when teams are in Atlanta. I've only been there once, many years ago, and just driving thru on the way to Florida. But supposedly the town is quite famous for its strip clubs.

Weren't the Marlins in Atlanta before a bunch got the Rona? Hard to socially distance when getting a lapper.
NBA players voted Atlanta as having the best strip clubs in the NBA some time ago.

Valuist

EOG Master
Ratings Crash for NBA, MLB After Protest-Filled Debuts

End of sports for a while.

The NBA regular season in a normal year isn't real inspiring. The cardboard cutout defenses make it complete garbage. But I would expect the defenses and ratings to improve quite a bit when the playoffs start/games actually have meaning.

As for MLB, they are like an alcoholic in a downward spiral.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Nah. Virus will be here for a while. Not much we can do. If people want to opt out in NFL and in other sports they have the right to do so. I dont have the same passion as I did but I wont quit watching MLB and any other sport that is on.