William Hill To Purchase CG Technology Sports Book Assets

Heim

EOG Master
William Hill, America’s leading sports betting company, is purchasing the sports book assets of CG Technology, including its Nevada and Bahamas operations. This includes the leases at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, The Venetian and The Palazzo, The Palms, the Tropicana and Silverton, as well as providing a betting platform and risk management consulting to the Atlantis on Paradise Island.

Heim

EOG Master
Wait until William Hill sees some of those rents, if those leases are even assumable.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
CGT was a disaster from the get-go.

From the Mike Colbert scandal at M Resort to the lack of cross-property cashing, company higher-ups were not player-friendly and the Cantor staff followed suit by not respecting the customer base.

Hard to believe, you could make a bet at the Tropicana but not cash the ticket at the Hard Rock.

Tsk tsk.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
William Hill will be taking over Circus Circus in the not-so-distant future.

Disappointed to hear the boys at TI will not run the book at Circus Circus.

Neveragain

EOG Dedicated
Wait until William Hill sees some of those rents, if those leases are even assumable.
It’s in the due diligence stage Heim. God bless the lawyers and accountants.
All Books fast becoming Kiosks, Apps, algorithms and bots.
Roxy, the innovator, talked to Gill about this on his program last July.

This move will leave 11 ostensibly independently run outs (by operator, not the number of different storefronts per each) in Vegas, for at least a moment, with @DavidPurdum getting the same number and list:

Boyd/Coast
Caesars
Circa
Golden Nugget
MGM
South Point
Stations
Treasure Island
Westgate SuperBook
William Hill
Wynn (11)

FISHHEAD

EOG Master
This move will leave 11 ostensibly independently run outs (by operator, not the number of different storefronts per each) in Vegas, for at least a moment, with @DavidPurdum getting the same number and list:

Boyd/Coast
Caesars
Circa
Golden Nugget
MGM
South Point
Stations
Treasure Island
Westgate SuperBook
William Hill
Wynn (11)

SouthPoint taking over Casablanca in Mesquite was a blow.................

Sol Diablo

House of Heat
the lack of cross-property cashing

Hard to believe, you could make a bet at the Tropicana but not cash the ticket at the Hard Rock.

Unless things have recently changed, MGM/Mirage is still archaic with this. Can't make a bet at MGM and cash it across the street at NYNY. Dumb.

I love that I can place a bet in Laughlin at Harrah's or the Edgewater (Will Hill) on the way out of town then cash them on the next trip to Vegas.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Unless things have recently changed, MGM/Mirage is still archaic with this. Can't make a bet at MGM and cash it across the street at NYNY. Dumb.

I love that I can place a bet in Laughlin at Harrah's or the Edgewater (Will Hill) on the way out of town then cash them on the next trip to Vegas.

I believe MGM Mirage recently cleaned up its act because last week I bet at MGM Grand and cashed at Circus Circus.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

William Hill did a nice job with this feature when they entered the Nevada market in 2012.

Now if we could bet in Indiana and cash in Iowa that would mark progress.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
William Hill did a nice job with this feature when they entered the Nevada market in 2012.

William Hill inherited the feature from Leroy's, et al,, simply merged the venues. Unforunately you can't cash race tickets across WH venues. Doubt that you could cash across state lines in the near future.

Sol Diablo

House of Heat

Indeed. I asked that question at Harrah's in Biloxi last summer. Wanted to know if I could cash my Harrah's tickets made in Mississippi at any Caesars property in Nevada.

Nope.

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master
I’ll be in Vegas in two weeks and will make all my wagers at the Mirage cause that’s just what I do when I become a tourist and go each year, but for the sake of the town and gamblers everywhere I really hope Circa has nothing but success and becomes the #1 spot in town

Dan Tanna

EOG Member
I’ll be in Vegas in two weeks and will make all my wagers at the Mirage cause that’s just what I do when I become a tourist and go each year, but for the sake of the town and gamblers everywhere I really hope Circa has nothing but success and becomes the #1 spot in town
They look promising, but I wonder how successful a book can be if they’re only located downtown.

They look promising, but I wonder how successful a book can be if they’re only located downtown.

With mobile it doesn't matter as much. Caesars and MGM have so much prime real estate on the Strip and yet few people other than occasional tourists would really say those are their go to books.

Concur with Bill's point re: mobile . . . . Back in the mid to late '90's or so, I was traveling out here several times an NFL season from Baton Rouge. If I was doing that now, I would open and fund a bunch of mobile app accounts on an early season trip (really need to do the app account opening step only for a first season) and then bet from a single comfortable venue here in town on later trips, mostly cashing out (the betting gods willing) on my last trip for the year.

Back then, I figured out I could stash about 7K discretely in a Marlboro Lights short box in a front shirt pocket; and I definitely watched my back when I went to the head. (I have a lot of snap pocket Western shirts out here still these days.) With mobile apps, all that subterfuge and adventure would have been a thing of the past. All so very 20th century now.

As a local now, yes, mobile apps definitely make any particular brick-and-mortar location substantially a non-factor as to convenience, as you have to go there only for deposits and withdrawals, and some books have multiple locations where you can do that.

Last edited:
Another thing about this change, it sharply reduces the chances of Nevada gaming having to some day impose NCAA-esque death penalty sanctions on a Nevada sports book outfit.

CGT/Cantor was in the principal's office multiple times, on some fairly serious stuff.