Winkyduck Update

kane

EOG master
It's pretty obvious that the healthcare system is broken, starting with insurance. Start with the investigations there.

After Obamacare, I was dropped and never used it, outstanding system.

Completely agree with this. I had AETNA for many years, last year I got a notice saying they were dropping everyone in my state, I was paying 800 a month, I got in touch with an insurance agent and she hooked me up with Obamacare and I'm now paying 270 a month. The insurance I have actually costs much more than that, but I was able to fudge some numbers which qualified me for a big discount

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
Completely agree with this. I had AETNA for many years, last year I got a notice saying they were dropping everyone in my state, I was paying 800 a month, I got in touch with an insurance agent and she hooked me up with Obamacare and I'm now paying 270 a month. The insurance I have actually costs much more than that, but I was able to fudge some numbers which qualified me for a big discount

It is not a discount. It is an advance premium tax credit. I disagree that it is ObamaCare's fault that Aetna dropped you! ObamaCare helped make insurance affordable for you again.

You are not even bitter that Aetna dropped you-they were most likely caught in a death spiral. Premiums were not enough to pay the claims - so they raise the premiums and they lose some healthy customers who switch - raise the premiums some more and more healthy people switch. They were left with a block of business they could not manage and they were losing money on. So, they wanted out.

The individual market is so much harder to prosper at than the group market because of adverse selection. Individuals only want insurance when they are sick or injured because they do not have an employer paying for it. They will buy it if it is affordable and within reason to their income. Without ObamaCare you could have found new insurance but it would have likely cost a more correct scientific rate of ?1200 or so ??? You would need a 6 figure job to afford that kind of a premium.

So, people blame ObamaCare for rising premiums. ObamaCare is helping people get health care and get their medical bills paid. Why health care costs so much is very dependant on how much providers charge. Nobody seems to be mad at them? If their services go up 10% a year there is no way the insurance companies can pay the claims unless they raise their premiums 10%, also.

I apologize in advance if my comments sound abrasive. That is not my intent. Healthcare insurance sales is my profession and I do not know where individual America would be without these advance premium tax credit subsidies.

mr merlin

EOG Master
It is not a discount. It is an advance premium tax credit. I disagree that it is ObamaCare's fault that Aetna dropped you! ObamaCare helped make insurance affordable for you again.

You are not even bitter that Aetna dropped you-they were most likely caught in a death spiral. Premiums were not enough to pay the claims - so they raise the premiums and they lose some healthy customers who switch - raise the premiums some more and more healthy people switch. They were left with a block of business they could not manage and they were losing money on. So, they wanted out.

The individual market is so much harder to prosper at than the group market because of adverse selection. Individuals only want insurance when they are sick or injured because they do not have an employer paying for it. They will buy it if it is affordable and within reason to their income. Without ObamaCare you could have found new insurance but it would have likely cost a more correct scientific rate of ?1200 or so ??? You would need a 6 figure job to afford that kind of a premium.

So, people blame ObamaCare for rising premiums. ObamaCare is helping people get health care and get their medical bills paid. Why health care costs so much is very dependant on how much providers charge. Nobody seems to be mad at them? If their services go up 10% a year there is no way the insurance companies can pay the claims unless they raise their premiums 10%, also.

I apologize in advance if my comments sound abrasive. That is not my intent. Healthcare insurance sales is my profession and I do not know where individual America would be without these advance premium tax credit subsidies.
The problem is the drugs and the Dr's and the tests, etc, all of which are ridiculously priced.

And without those subsidies, we'd be right back where we were a few years ago, with access to relatively cheap major medical plans, etc.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Can’t imagine what you are going through or how you feel 24/7....you are a warrior.....God Bless you Winky...

I got weighed Tuesday when I got to the doc's office...............163
I had to go back Wednesday (today)................................................158

Seriously

5 pounds in 24 Hours. "Nice" thing is I can eat as much Ice Cream and all as I want - for the time being. Before this all started I weighed 190-ish and had muscle. Now 160-165-ish and no muscle so you see how far I have fallen and need to recover.

Getting more support than I ever dreamed possible made this a LOT easier to handle

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Great to hear, Winky!

You’ve fought the good fight and you’re here now on the other side.

Here’s to you getting back out on the hardwood in your zebra stripes this coming winter!

It was a HARD fight. There is no way to describe what Chemo does to a person's body. And more importantly - their mind. Chemo is a deadly toxin. DUH! Getting blasted by it for almost 100 hours for 6 times over a 3-4 month period is something for which there are no words.

As for hoops: I wanna do it. I also wanna win the Lottery. As much as I wanna officiate this season I am realizing that probably won't happen. I have time but I doubt it will happen. Cancer ate away part of my bone on my right leg. Not much but it did. No complaints knowing things could have been worse. A LOT WORSE! My first week out, I do a LOT of sleeping. I am in bed by about 9P and in bed until about 9A. I then MUST take about a 3-4 hour nap during the day so between Noon-4Pish I sleep for about 3-4 hours. I have no choice. I simply cannot make it thru the day w/o this nap. By Sunday/Monday I should bee good on not sleeping as much and no nap or not as long.

Next week I will join Mom when she takes the pooch for her daily nightly walk of around a mile, or 3/4 of one. It is not easy but doable. I struggle to do that. I will start PT soon. I would love to be able to ref hoops but realize the odds of getting in shape for the season are long even though the season does not start until after Halloween. I just can't see myself being able to get in good enough shape to run up and down the court as much as I need to do. I am most "upset" about NOT being able to officiate the "Nike 3-on-3" the first weekend of August. This is the 11th year. I have done the past 9. It is played on the streets and surrounding area of Staples Center and is an all day event in the hot sun. There is a -100% chance I will be able to do this - this year. But I am motivated for next year and will try to do HS this season but I really don't see myself being able to do so. If I never do another game it would suck but a many games as I have done and knowing what I have overcome - you will NEVER hear me utter a single complaint.

I was one of the rare people given a "2nd shot at Life" and know that is better than anything I could ever hope to do from this day, on. It has made me realize NOT to sweat the stuff I have no control over. As you said: I fought the toughest battle of my life - and won. I had a HS Classmate die of Breast Cancer a month ago so I know things can get worse

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
The problem is the drugs and the Dr's and the tests, etc, all of which are ridiculously priced.

And without those subsidies, we'd be right back where we were a few years ago, with access to relatively cheap major medical plans, etc.

So, we are faced with a catch 22. Pay the high price of medical care and get improved care and medicine as research continues or default on the cost of health care and have the technology stagnate? Do, we want cheap healthcare or the best care that technology can provide?

mr merlin

EOG Master
So, we are faced with a catch 22. Pay the high price of medical care and get improved care and medicine as research continues or default on the cost of health care and have the technology stagnate? Do, we want cheap healthcare or the best care that technology can provide?
I dont think paying $250 for a 15 min Dr appointment helps medical technology advance, nor does paying 3 or 4 times the price drugs were sold for a couple years ago. Both are reflections of greed.

kane

EOG master

Bucky, I don't think AETNA dropped me because of Obamacare. I agree with FW that our health care system is broken, but AETNA dropping me turned out to be for the best, I was able to get good insurance and I'm saving over 500 a month, Obamacare is saving me a lot of money

Bigrunner

EOG Master
It was a HARD fight. There is no way to describe what Chemo does to a person's body. And more importantly - their mind. Chemo is a deadly toxin. DUH! Getting blasted by it for almost 100 hours for 6 times over a 3-4 month period is something for which there are no words.

As for hoops: I wanna do it. I also wanna win the Lottery. As much as I wanna officiate this season I am realizing that probably won't happen. I have time but I doubt it will happen. Cancer ate away part of my bone on my right leg. Not much but it did. No complaints knowing things could have been worse. A LOT WORSE! My first week out, I do a LOT of sleeping. I am in bed by about 9P and in bed until about 9A. I then MUST take about a 3-4 hour nap during the day so between Noon-4Pish I sleep for about 3-4 hours. I have no choice. I simply cannot make it thru the day w/o this nap. By Sunday/Monday I should bee good on not sleeping as much and no nap or not as long.

Next week I will join Mom when she takes the pooch for her daily nightly walk of around a mile, or 3/4 of one. It is not easy but doable. I struggle to do that. I will start PT soon. I would love to be able to ref hoops but realize the odds of getting in shape for the season are long even though the season does not start until after Halloween. I just can't see myself being able to get in good enough shape to run up and down the court as much as I need to do. I am most "upset" about NOT being able to officiate the "Nike 3-on-3" the first weekend of August. This is the 11th year. I have done the past 9. It is played on the streets and surrounding area of Staples Center and is an all day event in the hot sun. There is a -100% chance I will be able to do this - this year. But I am motivated for next year and will try to do HS this season but I really don't see myself being able to do so. If I never do another game it would suck but a many games as I have done and knowing what I have overcome - you will NEVER hear me utter a single complaint.

I was one of the rare people given a "2nd shot at Life" and know that is better than anything I could ever hope to do from this day, on. It has made me realize NOT to sweat the stuff I have no control over. As you said: I fought the toughest battle of my life - and won. I had a HS Classmate die of Breast Cancer a month ago so I know things can get worse

Great news!

I Love Winkyleaks!

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Good job Winky....God bless you. Here's hoping and praying that the worst is behind you.

100% agree

I know the last thing I can do is "rest easy" on this. I know I need to be super vigilant and CAN NEVER REST!!!!!!!!!! I need to make sure if it comes back again - and it might - I get it in Stage 1 - NOT a higher number

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
I dont think paying $250 for a 15 min Dr appointment helps medical technology advance, nor does paying 3 or 4 times the price drugs were sold for a couple years ago. Both are reflections of greed.
I agree that there needs to be stricter regulation on fair pricing/gouging

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

We don't agree on politics but we agree here

Needless to say I have received a MOUNTAIN of bills. We look over ALL of them. We get bills that say the Doc saw me in my room for 30 minutes

BULL-FUCKING-SHIT THEY DID!

Try 5. IF THAT

I don't "fight" it because my part of the bill is about $15 and also because I blew past my Co-Pay MAX so long ago the visit is "free" and I don't have to pay for it but if I did...........damn well better believe I'd be bitchin' about it

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Hope things are still doing well with you.

Thanks. Not bad. It has been 2 months since I have been done with Chemo (July 23). I was as low as 153 but now up to about 175. I was 190 and want to stay around this weight so I can add muscle for the rest. Soon ref meetings for HS hoops start. But not for me since I can't run one step. Walking is something I do with a slight limp - for now, hopefully. On Sept 8 (2 weeks ago) I drove a car for the first time since around Valentine's Day. I didn't drive before because I was taking a ton of pills and Opioids and I didn't want to risk getting a DUI, I now have a beard on my face because I didn't have to shave my face for 5+ months so I want to let it grow some since I now have to shave.

And now comes the "fun" part..............looking for employment. The resume is out there. Sis living in Vegas helps because now I can put a Vegas addy on a resume which can only help. If someone calls for an interview I can just schedule it for 48-ish hours later and I can be out there with no trouble and never have them know I live 20 minutes from Disneyland.

Not gonna lie - it it tough. But it is supposed to be since what I had was not easy to overcome. I was told by people who went thru Chemo a full recovery takes TWICE as long as the amount of time you went thru Chemo. For me that was about 4.5-5 months so the math puts me around Memorial Day before I can be 100% or closer to it than I am now.

Things could be worse. Last Sunday I got a text from a long-time friend (30 years) that one of his long-time friends (and someone I have known for about 25 years) had an accident while traveling. He fell the wrong way and is now paralyzed pretty much from the chest - down. Doctors are not sure if he will be able to breathe on his own - via a tracheotomy or with a machine. He is not dead but not far from it. It makes what I went thru seem like nothing so I appreciate every day and know how lucky I am. I also know there is NO WAY I could have gotten thru all of this without all of the incredible love and support from family and friends. As I have said since Day 1: Beating cancer is a WE and NOT a ME effort. I would not have beaten cancer if I had to do it by myself. I know it and I have made sure all who were there for me when I REALLLLLLLLLLLLY needed them know how much I am grateful for all they did.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
What kind of job are you looking for?

I feel something in: Writing, Marketing or Management is something I can do

I'd prefer to stay in SoCal but for the right spot my bags are packed. I'll see. See what the future holds

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Every 3 months for the first full year I have to undergo a PT Scan to make sure I am clean and free from Cancer and/or if not it is caught in Stage 1 and doesn’t progress to Stage 4 (once again). Wednesday, Nov. 6, I got up at “too-bleeping-early-AM” to go to Hoag Hospital for PT Scan #1. I see my fabulous Doctor on Wednesday Nov. 13 to go over the results but I stopped by Hoag on Friday and picked them up. As expected – or rather as hope for – CLEAN! This doesn’t mean I can relax. I know this is something I will have to be vigilant about for the rest of my life and make sure my life lasts longer than if I don’t.

The next one will be around Valentine’s Day.

When I underwent Chemo I didn't have a single hair on my body. Not on my head, chest, back, arms, legs and anywhere else. Not even eyebrows. I now have hair on my body. Sadly more elsewhere than my head but who cares. My weight which was around 190 got as low as 155. I am now back up to about 185. I can walk but do so with an ever so slight limp. I cannot run. I am seeing an Ortho doc on Monday to see if my limping is because my right leg is now a tad shorter than my left since the cancer ate part of the bone or my hip is out of alignment or.............??? HS Hoops season is underway some and it pains me not to be able to do it but since I cannot run I cannot do it. I hope to be back next season but if I never ref hoops again I am OK with it knowing what I have overcome.

I also know that I had a 0% chance of beating this without the help of an amazing support staff who would not let me quit when I was like most cancer patients who undergo the brutality of Chemo - and I wanted to quit. I will be forever grateful to all who helped me get thru this. I am the one who underwent BRUTAL Chemo treatments. I am the one who beat Cancer. But i am the one who could not have done it without all of the encouragement from family and friends. Thank you to each and every one of you who took the time to comment here or reach out to me or............... I have not forgotten all that was done and never will.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Thursday marked the one-year "anniversary" of my last day of Chemo.....July 23, 2019. When you have - and then beat - cancer, you remember milestone days like they happened today and not "X" number of days/weeks/months/years/decades/etc - ago.

I have attached a pic:

On the left was taken July 25, 2019. It was taken 2 days after my last Chemo session. I was at my lowest weight of 153 gaunt, skin-and-bones pounds. I used to weigh 190 so we are talking about a 20% loss of weight, and all muscle I had. I needed the crutch to get around since I did not have the strength and ability to walk on my own without a real fear of falling down and hurting myself. On my first 3 visits I had a yellow wristband indicating I was a "Fall Risk" - since I was. I do not have one hair on my body. NOT ONE!

The right was taken yesterday, July 23. The one-year anniversary of my last Chemo day, I am about 185 and have hair on my body. Sadly - hair on parts I do not wish to have it - including my back. Oh, well. I am able to walk without a crutch and that is good since I take the dog on 2 walks a day totaling well over 2 miles.

Whenever anyone goes thru a traumatic experience they have a 0% chance of overcoming it without help from an incredible support staff of family and friends. I am 100% sure Vanessa Bryant has not been alone for one second since Jan 26. I knew my family would "step up" and provide support. And they did. Well beyond what was expected. I had friends step up, too - and for that I am grateful.

I have not met many here. I have met some, though. All I did meet were awesome and for that I say THANK YOU! If you - or a loved one/friend - ever get diagnosed with this awful disease you will see how important it is to have people there in your time of need (And I have let all know I am more than willing to be a support staff for anyone who needs it, I can be called 24/7/365 and I will drop whatever I am doing to help anyone who needs to talk to me or have me come over - during "normal" times - and be there for them). Like all Chemo patients after I went thru Round 1 I said: "FUCK IT! I am DONE! I don't care what happens but please no more Chemo!" Thankfully those who were of a more sound judgment than I was at the time would no let that happen. 367 days later I am grateful for it.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE who helped me get thru my "Nightmare Journey From HELL!" It may not have meant much to you but it meant everything to me.

THANK YOU!Me - EOG.jpeg

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Congratulations! Admire your will and determination. Thank you for your willingness to help and support others!

I help and support others because without help and support from others I might not have beaten this. There are no words that can accurately describe what it feels like to have your body taken over by Chemo.

I would get a call from the hospital around 8A saying there was a bed available. I was ready for this and was there by about 10A. It took until about 10P to get my first bag of Chemo. I made sure to eat a nice dinner that night because I knew it would be the last good meal I had for about a week. Say I showed up on a Monday. By the time I was woken up around 6/6:30A on Tuesday I WAS DONE! It may have only been 8 hours but Chemo owned my body until I went home Saturday around 9-10A. I ate very little and would spend 20+ hours in bed, too exhausted and sick to want to get out although I did force myself to walk a mile every day. I only felt good around 8A on Saturday when I had the PICC line (On the left side pic the bandage on my right arm was for that) removed and I would be going home soon. The PICC line was something that allowed Chemo to flow into my body as well as take blood samples if need be. I felt great after the line was removed because it meant I was going home soon. But if I got out on a Saturday I did not shower until Sunday or Monday and I couldn't shower while there because of the IV line.

I look back on this and wonder if it really happened or was just a bad dream? Pix say it happened so I take that as it happened.

Last edited:

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
You have made great progress Winky.

Thanks. Appreciate all of the kind words

I also appreciate all of the texts I received from you. TYVM to JK for giving you my number. I appreciated them a LOT! They might not have meant anything to you but they meant everything to me. When I was at the hospital I rarely spoke to anyone on the phone from outside the hospital - because texting was easier to do and it helped conserve what little energy I had. Every single text you sent was one I not only read but welcomed receiving.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! That has not and will never be forgotten