Winkyduck?

There has to be a story behind such a strange handle,

I am sure your parents didn't give you that name legally, or maybe they did, you are in California after all?

Fishhead is another one, there have to be many more odd names.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I remember being puzzled by NOOGNEKUND for a long time.

That's DrunkenGoon spelled backwards.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Zzyzx Road is a 4.5-mile road in San Bernardino, California, about 100 miles southwest of Las Vegas.

EOG contributor ZzyzxRoad comes last in any alphabetical listing of our website's members.

What group of people might think of heim as a slur?

New one to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
There has to be a story behind such a strange handle,

I am sure your parents didn't give you that name legally, or maybe they did, you are in California after all?

Fishhead is another one, there have to be many more odd names.

So here it goes:

From 1989-91 I was at KTLA in the Sports Dept. One day CBS Sports aired some sort of promotional ad and it involved the entire on air staff - including John Madden. The setting was some school play and then John Madden bursts thru the curtain and on stage. Some kid gives him a "wink" and then all of s sudden we get this great big "song and dance" about how great CBS Sports is. A friend saw this and said I looked like the kid and could I wink to see if he was right. I did. He and everyone else said I looked like the kid so they started calling me "Wink" or stuff like: Winker and the like.

Fast forward to late 1993. The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim start out. I got a job working for them on their gameday stats crew. Same friend who calledme Wink said he had to combine the names and he did. He came up with: Winkyduck - which is "Wink" from CBS Sports and "Duck" from the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.

That was 25+ years ago and now none of those friends call me by my name - instead they call me Winkyduck. I could call them and say "Hey, this is Erik" and they would ask: Who the Fuck is that? When I call, they see my number and answer saying something like "Hello Winkyduck". My friend who gave me the name has 4 kids. 2 are in college, 1 in HS and 1 is about 6 y/o. They LOVE(D) calling me Einkyduck because it was so different. I'd call them when they were younger and they'd go "quack, quack" on the phone to me.

I figure "no harm - no foul" and it is a well intended name so why not have fun with it.