"Winning Wednesdays" presents Gordon Jones

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Join hosts John Kelly and Barry Holthaus for one hour of sports talk from a gambling perspective. This week's guest is Gordon Jones, one of America's most celebrated horseplayers. Jones served as the turf editor of the late, great Los Angeles Herald-Examiner for more than 15 years. He currently resides in Las Vegas where he plays the horses professionally.

"Winning Wednesdays" is EOG's Internet radio show heard every Wednesday at noon Pacific time. The show can be heard live or archived at www.vegasallnetradio.com.

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated
Re: "Winning Wednesdays" presents Gordon Jones

Have a good show. Didn't think you were working today.

munson15

I want winners...

Should I leave a space on my sheet open for a pick, JK?

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

Would like to hear his opinion on exchange wagering.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Would like to hear his opinion on exchange wagering.

I will ask.

And Crick, thanks for your selections last Saturday at Hollywood Park. I left the racetrack with more money than when I arrived.

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

I will ask.

And Crick, thanks for your selections last Saturday at Hollywood Park. I left the racetrack with more money than when I arrived.

Nice. You did better than me. I ended up having a losing day Sunday.

Link to the site for podcast?

FISHHEAD

EOG Master

I've attended a few gordan jones seminars at Sams Town in the past...........very educational.

Looking forward to the show.....

Does Lebron deserve the criticism from Game 3 after almost having a triple double?

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

They raised the takeout for the Northern California Fairs again..........it's just stealing now.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Gordon Jones likes #8 Commander in the eighth race at Delaware Park today.

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

just mentioned you....good man

Yeah, listening.
I guess he's going up there for a seminar so he was a little soft on the question.......2% hike on exactas and doubles, 3% on all other exotics. This after a hike last year as well. Hard to defend that.

brians

EOG Dedicated

Great show. I could listen to Gordon Jones stories all day.

Good point by Barry about the Mavs not doing the little things and winning almost in spite of themselves.

Fezzik

EOG Veteran
SPorts Betting to Implement Horse Racing Rules

SPorts Betting to Implement Horse Racing Rules

Imagine laying -150 on Dallas -2.5 to beat Miami.

THEN going to the window to cash ("sorry sir, that's a push........you get the CLOSING line every time here")

Seriously, there is no way any horse racing picker could EVER win, as soon as his plays were documented winners there would be too much action and 10-1 would become 7-1.

One can argue Edward at RAS has the same problem but at least the ORIGINATORS GET TO KEEP THEIR BETS and not get stuck with Minny/Sea OV 150 when they bet OV 147

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!
Re: SPorts Betting to Implement Horse Racing Rules

THEN going to the window to cash ("sorry sir, that's a push........you get the CLOSING line every time here")

Seriously, there is no way any horse racing picker could EVER win, as soon as his plays were documented winners there would be too much action and 10-1 would become 7-1.

One can argue Edward at RAS has the same problem but at least the ORIGINATORS GET TO KEEP THEIR BETS and not get stuck with Minny/Sea OV 150 when they bet OV 147

This is why the very best horseplayers have to keep their prime picks a secret. Horse racing is the anti stock market, in racing you don't want anyone on your picks, in the stock market, you want everyone else on your 'picks'

DotPark

EOG Addicted

Nice! Last place.

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

Nobody making money at this is relying on win bets. And imagine every day situations where you're closing out to a horse's off odds and getting 2X, 3X, 10X, 50X the CLOSING line through basic ticket structure.
Exchange wagering is coming, and unfortunately it's going to bring guys like you into the mix. I'd rather not have guys like you involved............that's a compliment BTW.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated

I watched the race. Commander was boxed on the outside for the entire race, running a long race. Was 2nd thru about 1/2, and ran completely out of gas by the home stretch.

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

And before Gordon complains his performance on the show led to the bet down from the 6/1 ML to the 5/2 off odds (and for Fezzik who thinks he may have caused it)..........his pick was given well after the Pick 3 sequence had started, and the horse was a solid 2nd choice in that pool. The off odds mirrored the pre-race horizontals. That horse was going off 5/2 with or without the show.

railbird

EOG Master

I remember reading Proffesor Jones articles daily in the Herald Examiner when I was 9 years old

texaswizzard

EOG Dedicated

Having some horse experts on this time of the year is fine but I think there is too many horse handicappers and guests on as a whole. Horse racing is a dying sport. Just my 2 cents.

Ching or Dong

EOG Enthusiast

JK it sounded from a previous blog that you weren't going to have anything on Wed so I slept in. Missed my all time fav "Prof". Now will have to wait for the archieve. I will go on record after looking at the draw for the Belmont and will take Animal Kingdom. I look for Shackelford to "bounce", don't like Mucho even though I bet him in the Preakness and Nehru has only broken its maiden!!!! Really liked the 47 and change work for AK and over the Belmont surface. John V certainly knows Belmont and has won the race before. 5-2 or 3-1 is a fair price an there will be plenty of dead money in the place and show pools.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

JK - you still in LA or back home in Vegas?

Did that code help you Monday get the 1/2 Price Tix - and hopefully you bought the cheapest ticket possible and moved down to better seating since no one was there

Fezzik

EOG Veteran
If your good enough to make a living betting horses

If your good enough to make a living betting horses

Then your good enough to make a fortune bettting sports........

I always listen to John's Horseplay show on Sunday morning with Gordon and that Patrick guy when I'm out driving. Sundays have been slow lately for me, so I hope it's still on.

I have no idea what they are talking about, but I listen.

Ray Luca

EOG Master

I called Gordon about 20 years ago when I started getting serious, think it was about Par times or something. I'll never forget this and neither will the girl I was living with at the time, he answered the phone and I said hey this is ------ from New York City but it was one of those things you had to hear the way I was so excited and said it. Funny memories. The nicest man of all time!

I will listen later

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I called Gordon about 20 years ago when I started getting serious, think it was about Par times or something. I'll never forget this and neither will the girl I was living with at the time, he answered the phone and I said hey this is ------ from New York City but it was one of those things you had to hear the way I was so excited and said it. Funny memories. The nicest man of all time!

I will listen later

Gordon is good "schmoozing" with people, but terrible in his interactions with bosses.

A guy that brilliant has difficulty taking orders from inferior minds.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Yeah, listening.
I guess he's going up there for a seminar so he was a little soft on the question.......2% hike on exactas and doubles, 3% on all other exotics. This after a hike last year as well. Hard to defend that.

Larceny, complete and total larceny.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Great show. I could listen to Gordon Jones stories all day.

Good point by Barry about the Mavs not doing the little things and winning almost in spite of themselves.

Barry makes a lot of winning points.

Now, if only he could recommend a few winning wagers.

He made a case today for laying the adjusted series price (-210) on Miami to win the NBA title.

We need to put the "winning" back in "Winning Wednesdays."