WNBA 2019

choslamshe

EOG Master
Nobody hates the Liberty more than I do, but at first glance they appear to be the right side in tomorrow's matinee against the Storm.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Nobody hates the Liberty more than I do, but at first glance they appear to be the right side in tomorrow's matinee against the Storm.

I respectfully disagree, Cho.

I like the Seattle side.

Nurse and Charles have logged big minutes since the absence of Amanda Zahui B. and others.

Additionally, New York's last two wins are phony.

A one-point home win over Dallas on a night Wings' rookie Arike Ogunbowale went 2-for-25 and a romping road win at Atlanta against a team that returned tonight to lose by 17.

Hmmm...

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Las Vegas Aces 90 Chicago Sky 82

No defense in the first offense, no offense in the second half.

Teams combined to score 109 points in the first half and only 63 points in the second half.

These teams are talented offensively but limited defensively.

Chicago with a lot of finesse athletes, especially in the starting lineup, and Las Vegas doesn't play like tough Laimbeer-led teams of the past.

Las Vegas has one of the most talented starting fives in the league as they start three #1 overall picks, a #2 overall and a #3 overall selection.

Chicago's married backcourt of Vandersloot and Quigley is smart but small.

Starting center Stephanie Dolson complains about every foul called on her.

She doesn't want to bang in the low post.

Wide hips and unathletic.

Chicago finished the three-game road trip with three losses.

Las Vegas is underachieving as evidenced by the team's 4-9 mark against the spread.

Watching the game now and I'm interested to see how the game landed with an 8-point margin.

I saw Las Vegas favored by 8.5 and 9 points earlier today.

Las Vegas made efficient use of the 3-point line, going 5-for-7 from beyond the arc.

Laimbeer's teams always trail the WNBA in 3-point attempts.

More poor WNBA officiating today but only 3,500 were on hand to witness the ineptitude.

Game was tied at 72 after three quarters.

Cambage does a lot of goofy things on the court but applying lip gloss during the break between the third and fourth quarters was bizarre.

Former WNBA player Swin Cash was courtside with her 10-month old baby boy.

He's the size of a 2-year-old right now.

Cash is married to former Fordham hoopster Steve Canal, who played forward for the Rams from 1998-2002.

Chicago scored only 10 points in the fourth quarter despite hitting shots on three of their first four possessions.

Las Vegas outscored Chicago, 16-4, over the final seven-and-a-half minutes of the game.

Game tied at 80 with five minutes left.

Dearica Hamby outplayed her childhood friend Diamond Deshields over the last four minutes of the game.

There was no scoring in the final 1:38 of the game despite an 8-point margin.

Rare.

Chicago was held scoreless over the last 2:20 of the game.

There were 15 lead changes and 13 ties in the game.

Next up: Las Vegas hosts Washington this Wednesday night while Chicago hosts Dallas on Sunday afternoon.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The Atlanta Dream have lost four straight games and nine of 10.

Last season, they started the season 8-9 but finished on a 15-2 run.

There will be no 15-2 run this season.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Last season's WNBA Coach of the Year Nikki Collen has no answers for her struggling team.

They're 2-9 straight-up and 3-8 against the spread.

Worst offense in the league.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Collen makes sure everyone knows Atlanta has missed the most unguarded jump shots in the WNBA this season.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Sylvia Fowles is a bull in a china shop.

No finesse to her game whatsoever.

She's the WNBA version of Dwight Howard.

I hate her game.

She's a turnover waiting to happen.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Minnesota's Odyssey Sims was arrested for DUI last month.

Expect the lleague to hand down a two-game suspension at the some point.

Keep it under your hat.

Last edited:

choslamshe

EOG Master
I played the Liberty +7.

GL John, unless the game involves the Sky, I cannot bet these broads to send a game over any total. Especially if I plan on watching the game haha

Last edited by a moderator:

ChuckyG

EOG Master
I see a lot of writeups on this league. Bottom Line: Is anyone clearing a profit on this league this season?

I love smaller niche leagues. Much better chance to gain an information edge on the market. Seattle, for example, has had several players come in/out of the lineup.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I'm winning this season.

I look for Dallas to get the money over Indiana tomorrow night.

Indiana beat Dallas twice already this season.

I'm counting on head coach Brian Agler to make the proper adjustments and outsmart Pokey Chatman.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
Nice hit on the over last night JK, like last season right here with you.

Are you posting some of your beaver ball in this thread or all of them going to be in the daily thread?

I noticed your "leans" did pretty well last season, those will be here and not in the daily thread I assume?

Thanks, good luck to us tonight, I'm on Dallas as well.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Imagine if something tragic happened at Mandalay Bay Events Center, if they tried to play the game after the quake.

Mandalay Bay doesn't need any more lawsuits after treating Stephen Paddock like a VIP.

blueline

EOG Master
I wasn't paying close attention to the score...
saw it was halftime...
went to get a 3rd Q update..still listed as halftime...after 45 mins of no score update finally dawned on me what might have happened...betting against Mystics there was so wrong

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Washington is on a roll.

Las Vegas is talented individually but underachieving collectively.

Laimbeer looks disinterested.

He once breathed fire on the WNBA sidelines as head coach of the Detroit Shock.

ChuckyG

EOG Master
JK, interesting point u made about no overnite lines for WNBA. Was it always like that? I don't recall that being the case.

As an observer from afar, WNBA odds-making appears to be very much tied to personnel. Hard to replace the top players (and even ANY starter). From that perspective, I could see why the house wants to be sure b4 they post a soft #.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Limits are low everywhere and I don't blame the sports books.

They either get $5 and $10 wagers or $500 and $1,000 wagers.

No middle ground.

No overnights this season for the first time in a long time.

Pinnacle once led the way but not anymore.

The WNBA is a star's league.

Without Maya Moore, Breanna Stewart, Diana Taurasi and Angel McCoughtry, the league is missing four of its best players, if not the top four players in the league.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Las Vegas 90 New York 58

The Liberty's four-game winning streak was snapped in a harsh way.

Kia Nurse was 8-for-13 from beyond the arc in her last two games but went 0-for-5 from distance against Las Vegas.

McBride finished with 24 points and Cambage scored 21 points in the 32-point win.

Only 1,971 fans attended the game at Westchester County Center.

Las Vegas outscored New York by 12 points in the first half and 20 points in the second.

This game fits the old NBA handicapping angle where teams returning from an extended road trip play poorly in their first game back at home.

New York committed four turnovers in the game's first three minutes, trailed 12-2 and never really threatened thereafter.

NY finished with 19 turnovers.

The NY Liberty's starting point guard Brittany Boyd is a weak link.

Liz Cambage played her best game of the season.

This was Game 1 of a four-game road trip for the underachieving Aces.

Las Vegas is 9-5 straight-up but only 5-9 against the spread.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The Liberty had four players competing in EuroBasket 2019.

All four are set to return later this week.

Amanda Zahui B, Bria Hartley, Kiah Stokes and Marine Johannes could be available for Friday's road game in Chicago.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Los Angeles 98 Washington 81

L.A. avenges an 81-52 loss at the hands of the Mystics three weeks ago.

Washington's five-game winning streak was snapped.

The Sparks made good use of a weeklong break of games and worked on improving themselves in practice.

Head coach Derek Fisher preaches physical and mental toughness.

In the first meeting between the two teams this season, L.A. committed a staggering 27 turnovers.

In the rematch, L.A. was charged with only six turnovers.

INJURY NOTE: Elena Delle Donne went to the locker room with a facial injury after only one minute of play.

She never returned.

Nneka Ogumike recorded a season-high 31 points, going 5-for-7 from three-point range.

Chelsea Gray scored 13 points, handed out 13 assists and grabbed 10 rebounds for only the ninth double-double in WNBA history.

Halftime score: Los Angeles 51 Washington 46.

L.A. outscored Washington, 23-11, in a decisive third quarter.

Derek Fisher said the team did not play well in the first half but they did play hard.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Chicago 78 Dallas 66

The UNDER run continues for games involving the Dallas Wings.

Eleven UNDERS in 13 games this season.

Jordan Cornette's analysis of a WNBA game is excellent.

Cornette played hoops at Notre Dame from 2001-05.

Chicago won a much-needed game after suffering four straight losses.

Former Bears head coach Mike Ditka threw up the ceremonial jump ball.

He then took the microphone and commanded the Sky to "kick ass."

Dallas shot only 34% from the field as Thornton, Ogunbowale and Gray all played more than 35 minutes.

Chicago dressed 10 players but played only eight.

Cornette authored a good line, "If you can knock out an offensively-challenged team early in a game, sometimes they'll lay down for you."

Another Cornette line, "The oldest play in the game, the pick-and-roll, is also the hardest to defend."

Dallas managed only 16 points over the game's final 15 minutes.

Arike Ogunbowale hunts her shot every minute of the game.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Phoenix 65 Atlanta 63

Atlanta exited its first road win of the season and tried hard to pull another upset against a Western Conference foe.

But it did not happen as Atlanta fell to 3-10 on the year.

No McCoughtry (age 32) for Atlanta and Taurasi (age 37) still not ready to return after back surgery in late April.

Atlanta shot 30% for the game.

Ugly to watch.

Phoenix hit only 4-of-21 shots from beyond the arc for an embarrassing 19%.

Halftime score: Phoenix 29 Atlanta 25.

Atlanta missed its first eight shots of the game and did not score for the first five minutes of the game.

Griner scored 31 points because Atlanta head coach Nicki Collen elected to play her straight-up with no help in the low post.

Essence Carson started the game but played only 12 minutes because of back spasms.

Phoenix plays Washington, Connecticut and Minnesota and the Mercury could easily lose all three games.

Game slowed to a crawl in the fourth quarter.

Awful basketball.

DeWanna Bonner, normally solid, shot 3-for-15 from the field for only 11 points.

Atlanta scored eight of the last 10 points over the final four minutes of the game.

Game tied at 63 with 16 seconds left after Williams makes an Atlanta layup.

Griner hits two free throws with three seconds left after getting fouled in the lane.

The league desperately misses its superstar players.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Dallas 74 Los Angeles 62

Hard to review a game in which you laid 5.5 points with the team that lost by double digits.

Oh well.

L.A. had the number covered for only 17 seconds.

Dallas has now won five of its last six home games.

Azura Stevens (foot) still sidelined.

Skylar Diggins-Smith is practicing with the team and she could return soon.

Glory Johnson, in her second game back from EuroBasket 2019, returned to the starting lineup today in Dallas and she looked good.

The Sparks fell to 3-1 with Riquna Williams in the starting lineup after today's 12-point loss.

Los Angeles benefited from nine fast-break points in the first quarter.

Candace Parker played only six minutes and left mysteriously after the first media timeout of the game.

It was later reported Parker suffered a foot injury.

Dallas Wings television announcers Ron Thulin and Raegan Pebley did not realize Parker was unavailable until after the halftime break.

Amateur hour.

Halftime score: Dallas 37 Los Angeles 32.

It's only the fourth time this season in 14 games, the Wings have held the lead at halftime.

Alisha Gray, shooting guard for Dallas, turned her ankle early in the second quarter but returned to play in the second half.

Dallas enjoyed balanced scoring (Thornton 17, Johnson and Ogunbowale 14 and Davis 13).

Nine lead changes and eight ties over the first 17 minutes of the game and then it was all Dallas from that point forward.

Izzy Harrison left the game with 4:45 left in the game after falling to the floor and inadvertently getting kicked in the head by a teammate.

L.A. finished with 21 turnovers.

Kayla Thornton scored 10 of the team's last 12 points.

Thornton is 30-for-32 from the free-throw line this season.

Attendance was 6,885 on Kids Day in Arlington.

Teams meet again in nine days (July 18) in a Thursday matinee game at Staples Center.