Would you have kept Jeter's 3,000th hit ball?

cheapseats

EOG Master
Re: Would you have kept Jeter's 3,000th hit ball?

BD, yes Jeter should voluntarily move out of SS and drop himself in the lineup... if he cared about winning above all else.

Nonsense. He's so selfless and would never do something to not help the team. One of the more underrated players I've ever seen play was Craig Biggio - something most people don't know is that he took a pay cut 4 times to stay with Houston. That's true leadership.

No, that is pure self desire to have it your way. He gets traded or sent reeling if he does not take the cut. It was his decision to take the pay cut and stay where he wanted. Just like the ball, it was in the seats, where people pay to watch the best players in the world. The ball righfully belongs to the fan and it is his decision to do with it as he/she pleases-just like the ball player negotiates a contract; if you like it, you take it,if not you move on, Union willing of course.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

The ball is worth at least 250k. You have to remember that No Yankee has ever gotten 3k hits, its Derek Jeter and it was a home run. This ball would go for 500k or more (imo) in an auction. Don't forget there are a lot of rich Yankees fans who might just want that ball at any cost.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I think the only way you keep it is if you immediately leave the stadium and not release your identity to the public. Go into hiding and in a few weeks when this all dies down, you put the ball up for auction.

mr merlin

EOG Master

If jeter had any class at all, he'd give the guy $50000, just for being a chump!

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

The ball is worth at least 250k. You have to remember that No Yankee has ever gotten 3k hits, its Derek Jeter and it was a home run. This ball would go for 500k or more (imo) in an auction. Don't forget there are a lot of rich Yankees fans who might just want that ball at any cost.

You're probably right. People overpay for Yankees memorabilia all the time.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

I think the only way you keep it is if you immediately leave the stadium and not release your identity to the public. Go into hiding and in a few weeks when this all dies down, you put the ball up for auction.

You have to reveal your identity before you leave or within a few weeks there will be several other people who also claim that they have the ball.

Oh, I reread what you wrote. You said "to the public." OK.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

For his gesture, Lopez was rewarded by the Yankees with luxury box tickets for the rest of the season (including postseason), along with signed baseballs, bats and jerseys from Jeter. In addition, Lopez received four premium front-row seats to last Sunday's Yankees-Rays game.

Nice haul, right? Sure, but with those generous gifts comes tax liability. As George Harrison once sang for the Beatles, "Let me tell you how it will be; There's one for you, nineteen for me. 'Cause I'm the Taxman."

The IRS will likely consider Lopez's gratuities from the Yankees as income, and if so, he could end up having to pay anywhere from $5,000 to $13,000 in taxes, according to the New York Daily News. The New York Times, meanwhile, says the face value of the tickets to the remaining 32 regular-season games at Yankee Stadium are worth anywhere between $44,800 and $73,600. The paper's conservative estimate puts Lopez's tax bill at $14,000.

It really has become "the gift that keeps on taking." The guy supposedly has 100K already in student loans and catches a baseball, and now is on the line for another $14000 to the IRS for trying not to exploit Jeter's 3,000th hit for personal gain.

OK, he's an idiot.

But Jeter and/or the Yankees really need to write a check and make this go away.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

It really has become "the gift that keeps on taking." The guy supposedly has 100K already in student loans and catches a baseball, and now is on the line for another $14000 to the IRS for trying not to exploit Jeter's 3,000th hit for personal gain.

OK, he's an idiot.

But Jeter and/or the Yankees really need to write a check and make this go away.

Yes, I agree. Jeter needs to pay it. The Yankees love fuckin' their fans though... this is nothing new...

Yes, I agree. Jeter needs to pay it. The Yankees love fuckin' their fans though... this is nothing new...

It's more than that. This is disastrous PR for the Yankees if they don't resolve this. You hang the joe six-pack, star-struck average outfield bleachers fan with thousands in debt for trying to please his baseball superstar hero?

I think we might have a ways to go on this outcome.

I knew the taxes were coming, said so at Peeps, and maybe here in another thread !

I knew the taxes were coming, said so at Peeps, and maybe here in another thread !

EasyGoer45

EOG Veteran

That sucker would be up for auction next week had I caught it !!!!
If Jeter wants it he surely has enough money to buy it !!!!

That sucker would be up for auction next week had I caught it !!!!
If Jeter wants it he surely has enough money to buy it !!!!

Yep, I might even give him the NY discount, just like Derek did with the Yanks !

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

I agree it is time for the Evil Emprie to step in here and do the right thing. If the kid faces a, say, $15k tax bill, the Yankees can't pay that or else that, too is considered a gift and he will get taxed on that. They should take back the tix and pay off his student loans. Of course, that would be taxed, too - so give the kid about $150k (i know - easy for me to be nice with other people's money but $150k for the Empire is $5 to everyone here) so after taxes he can pay off his loans and still have money left over. The PR they will get will be well worth it - once again - not that they probably care all that much.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

I agree it is time for the Evil Emprie to step in here and do the right thing. If the kid faces a, say, $15k tax bill, the Yankees can't pay that or else that, too is considered a gift and he will get taxed on that. They should take back the tix and pay off his student loans. Of course, that would be taxed, too - so give the kid about $150k (i know - easy for me to be nice with other people's money but $150k for the Empire is $5 to everyone here) so after taxes he can pay off his loans and still have money left over. The PR they will get will be well worth it - once again - not that they probably care all that much.

I agree with all points, especially the last one about the Yankees likely not caring much at this point. The dupe did what they wanted him to do. Back to their billion dollar business affairs.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Update:

In addition to the free tickets and memorabilia the Yankees gave him, Christian Lopez now is getting:

• A 2009 World Series ring and 5% of its Yankees merchandise sales through Tuesday, courtesy of Modell's Sporting Goods Inc. That's a guaranteed $50,000 for his $150,000 in college loans.

Oh, and a 20% lifetime discount at Modell's stores.

• Miller High Life has offered to pay his taxes for the stuff the Yankees gave him, which could amount to $14,000.

• His own baseball card, issued by Topps, which also will have Lopez choose the image for its 2012 Jeter card.