writing action on the go

KingofTheHill

EOG Enthusiast
I want to spend sudays in a sports bar, getting new customers, but I am tied to my phone, is there any easy way to get around being tied to the land line? and still have odds easily accesible?. I was thinking of forwarding to my cell phone, and getting a sports pager...

MCP

i think you have the right idea.. sports pager, to me, is the best way to get odds when not able to access the computer... or maybe get one of those PDA's

Action on the go? Tons of action? Unless you got 2 guys calling. Wireless net...Laptop on top of the bar.

MCP

Moon88 said:
Action on the go? Tons of action? Unless you got 2 guys calling. Wireless net...Laptop on top of the bar.

not very discreet... surely to get pinched eventually

Writing action on the go & maybe in the bar is not very discreet. How many players you got King? Tons of action?

hire somone else to man the phones.......working from a controlled environment is...

1. more professional
2. less likely to make mistakes
3. less likely to be caught asleep...(sharp action)
4. less likely to have a cop sitting next to you drinking a beer.....

since no one has said anything yet.......i will take the opportunity to shill for one of the many call centers.....:+waving-5

KingofTheHill

EOG Enthusiast
I dont have many guys, only about 10 (this is my first year though), and need to get more word out I might just have to hire someone to work for me for a week or two, eventually ill go pph, but i need more players.

kingofthehill............please allow me to give you some very sound advice pertaining to your "upstart business"

dont solicit business..........let your current players get your future players.....by word of mouth.......REFERRALS is the safest, soundest way to increase business.....

do it any other way and your gonna end up with a shit book full of stiffs......

10 players if worked properly can make a nice little book.......next season you should be looking at 20 or so.....increasing each season.......gl

codeworks

EOG Member
agree with dime referals are the best ......you do not have to be real big just the right customers 15 to 20 and you can clear alot of cash 15 to 20k a year

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
So ya just hang out in a bar and find clients? I would have a hard time trusting many. Would you require a post?

sorry anybody under the age of 30 is suspect....lol

squares come in all sizes....

meaning young, old, rich, not so rich....white collar...blue collar......

on the subject of quality of players.....

over the years i have been able to determine that.......there are particular professions that more likely to produce stiffs than others.......believe it or not

1. salesmen....(especially car salesmen)
2. stock brokers
3. lawyers
4. doctors

in the last 15 years or so the above professions have produced more stiffs on my book than any other..........

the doctors, salesmen and brokers tend to bet high, live high and eventually get themselves in trouble....the lawyers tend to rationalize not paying because of the "illegal nature" of the business...

keep in mind that not all people in the above professions are like that......

what type of person makes the best player????

the guy who bets a couple of hundred a week......the guy that doesnt hide his gambling from his wife......the guy who can joke about how the quaterback threw the game and cost him a hundred.....the one that has a beer with the fellas every so often...usually he is older.....50ish......knows if loses three or four weeks in a row....he skips that fifth week.....because he knows football isnt going anywhere....

players like the above are good as gold......

So ya just hang out in a bar and find clients? I would have a hard time trusting many. Would you require a post?

general.......some bookmakers require post-up on new players regardles of who they are....

true story from another bookie..........two years ago....one of BW's guys......wanted to bet 5k a game....basically betting the whole board......"tell him to put up about 50k........."

basically the bookmaker didnt want to take any chances...........

btw....the guy declined....

Publicsmoney

EOG Addicted
Great information dimer. I have been stiffed many times. Learned the hardway. The sad thing is when you cant even trust the guy next door. Listen to dimeplayers King. The man knows what he is talking about. We in all seriousness would hate to see you get hurt. There are all kinds of stiffs out here on the world wide web that are waiting for an oppourtunity to screw ya. Trust me I have been there. Be careful man.

Swing

BADLIEUTENANT

EOG Enthusiast
Dime Is $$$

Dime Is $$$

dimeplayersonly said:
hire somone else to man the phones.......working from a controlled environment is...

1. more professional
2. less likely to make mistakes
3. less likely to be caught asleep...(sharp action)
4. less likely to have a cop sitting next to you drinking a beer.....

since no one has said anything yet.......i will take the opportunity to shill for one of the many call centers.....:+waving-5
MR. DIME - Do U know any of these call centers personally ? What about your store, or is that a bad question ? Are the EagleDP related to the Eagle on Don Best Express ? Know I'd user ( :+thumbs-2 she's legit - girl in EagleDP ad. I'd do jj if I could do her 1st !!! ) . Your posts are too fucking 4 real .B safe

I would stay away from young guys under 30 as they will squeal if they lose a lot because of panic.

Also do not pressure for money too much or you will be done

I think think the professional occupations are better customers even if they stiff sometimes.

DRUNK

EOG Member
My advice is too not even bother in this business as a bookmaker. The 1st time you get stiffed you will understand..it's a whores business..if you understand what I am saying. Hanging out in a sportsbar will get you more stiffs than paying clients. And if a guy is looking for a new BM 4 weeks into foots more than likely he owes a few other guys already. Get a 9/5 buddy.:+signs9-1

wizofescazu

EOG Enthusiast
KINGOFTHEHILL..

There are many quality shops today who will handle players for a fee..Dont put yourself in a environment that may be hazardous..

Also with websites today the players gain more access to wagering combos..props..etc..that you could never offer them..

With the backend of the software becoming more and more agent friendly, you can sit in the bar with wireless, and watch your action being written 2500 miles away..

KING..welcome to the 21st century..

Down here we do all the work for you..

Well, not really..You must go into the field and make X and Y happen..

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
wizofescazu said:
KINGOFTHEHILL..

There are many quality shops today who will handle players for a fee..Dont put yourself in a environment that may be hazardous..

Also with websites today the players gain more access to wagering combos..props..etc..that you could never offer them..

With the backend of the software becoming more and more agent friendly, you can sit in the bar with wireless, and watch your action being written 2500 miles away..

KING..welcome to the 21st century..

Down here we do all the work for you..

Well, not really..You must go into the field and make X and Y happen..
Hello Wiz, who pays for lost claims in a per-head shop? Thanks in advance.

bunyon

EOG Enthusiast
Especially take Dimes advice on not soliciting business. Of course it works the other way around too. I mentioned credit on another forum a while back and really got hooked up with a dandy. DPO knows what im talking about....lol

KingofTheHill

EOG Enthusiast
DRUNK said:
My advice is too not even bother in this business as a bookmaker. The 1st time you get stiffed you will understand..it's a whores business..if you understand what I am saying. Hanging out in a sportsbar will get you more stiffs than paying clients. And if a guy is looking for a new BM 4 weeks into foots more than likely he owes a few other guys already. Get a 9/5 buddy.:+signs9-1

I was given the business from family, i have relatives taht have done it on and since they came over on the boat, so the few guys taht I have are EXTREMELY solid. I just want to get bigger and better, but this wasnt even the question I asked...so no thanks from me champ.

KingofTheHill

EOG Enthusiast
bunyon said:
Especially take Dimes advice on not soliciting business. Of course it works the other way around too. I mentioned credit on another forum a while back and really got hooked up with a dandy. DPO knows what im talking about....lol

could you give me more details either through email or pm?

wizofescazu

EOG Enthusiast
ZZCREAM..

Good question..Hypothetically, of course, my answer is the following..

Relationships are quite important..In all businesses..Especially ours..The reason being we shake hands..In other businesses, contracts are drawn..

In a shop where clerks would be writing the business, the house takes the hit..A clerk on their salaries could never cover a 50 dollar parlay..

Believe me mistakes happen, but today in quality shops clerk error is few and far between..The shoppes hypothetically that I can speak for run very clean with claims..Once the agent has his business somewhere, and sees CS and customer satisfaction, a claim takes care of itself..

We are not robots, but with the software being what it is, and proper clerk and room management, mistakes are few and far between..

Now to answer your question..We have at times made restitution to agents on bad claims..Those situations are few and far between..

With relationships that grow over time, as trust builds, between those 2 parties what I just mentioned never happens..

At times also, the clerk error can be because of a bad phone connection..in that case, the house really cannot be faulted..

Remember this, the agent knows his business, and who his problems are..A good manager, alerts the agent..Most of the time, the claim comes from a not so unexpected player..

This isnt rocket scientist stuff..

The Wiz has spoken..hopefully he has helped..and what a wonderful WIZ he is..

you head shops are nothing more than breeding grounds for scammers......

claims???........wtf dont you record all wagers???

my question is how many scam artist use your services????

bunyon

EOG Enthusiast
KingofTheHill said:
could you give me more details either through email or pm?

No problem King......Im not sure if we are allowed to post email addys though. Im sure someone will tell us....lol

Dr. White

EOG Enthusiast
Be home 11:30 to 1:00, 3:30 to 4:15, and 7:30 to 8:30 on Sunday.
That leaves plenty of time for the sports bar. The breaks will do your liver a lot of good.