WTF: No mail Wednesday because Bush died?

I don't care about the mail, but this seems unpresidented!

Do mail carriers just get a bonus day off?

Did this happen for Reagan or anyone else?

I am fine with the half staff flag thing, but no mail during the Xmas rush!

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Agree with Doug.

And appreciate his wordplay (unpresidneted for a blend of unprecedented and unpresidential).

The guy was 94, not like the JFK assination.

As a former Mailhandler with USPS , the postal unions will demand pay for the day also, and get it !

Every postal worker will get paid, from carrier to janitor.

Level 3 custodian is the best job there.

michael777

EOG Dedicated
I agree with Doug, just a joke that the mail and banks get shut down, no reason for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
need to get that job

Tough to get that sweet custodian job..

Great gig though, no supervisors mess with you, they have mail to worry about

These guys are pretty much invisible, way easier than other jobs like mail handler, carrier etc.

You pretty much have to be a disabled veteran to get that position, or at least a veteran.

These days, all I get in the mail is junk.

I have not sent a letter or licked a stamp in years.
Junk mail is apparently the most effective way for retailers to reach their cliental.

You kind of sort of need to know what is on sale at varoius stores, and play the shopping game, or you overpay.

MrTop

EOG Master
amazon wants to take over. Will be charging for home delivery for mail . The good thing is it will be included in your amazon package per year ,which will be only $249 per year. Twilight zone reruns for free.

It seems to be traditional to cancel mail after a POTUS croaks, they did it for Kennedy after he got whacked and Reagan, even Ford.

Nixon was passed over

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
My bowling teammate works for the US Postal Service. They were giving people deals who wanted to still work on Wednesday.......work your normal shift on Wednesday,and then earn an extra 8 hours of paid time off that doesn't count as a vacation day. I'm happy for my friend, he earned an extra day off, and therefore, doesn't need to burn a vacation day. But fundamentally, how is that good for the Post Office, an agency that continues to lose money?

I can say from personal experience, most of what used to be mailed to me, comes in the form of a PDF in an email, dropbox exchange, etc. All my bills and statements are online. Just about the only items that are actually mailed to me are junk and promotional items, like Val Pak, and those hit the garbage as soon as I get them.

Last year, I signed up for the US Postal notification service, which is free. You get a daily email delivered to you, which consists of scanned pictures of the envelopes that are about to be delivered to your mailbox. So when I see that anything is important, I then go to the mailbox to get my mail, otherwise it could be weeks before I empty it out!

My bowling teammate works for the US Postal Service. They were giving people deals who wanted to still work on Wednesday.......work your normal shift on Wednesday,and then earn an extra 8 hours of paid time off that doesn't count as a vacation day. I'm happy for my friend, he earned an extra day off, and therefore, doesn't need to burn a vacation day. But fundamentally, how is that good for the Post Office, an agency that continues to lose money?

I can say from personal experience, most of what used to be mailed to me, comes in the form of a PDF in an email, dropbox exchange, etc. All my bills and statements are online. Just about the only items that are actually mailed to me are junk and promotional items, like Val Pak, and those hit the garbage as soon as I get them.

Last year, I signed up for the US Postal notification service, which is free. You get a daily email delivered to you, which consists of scanned pictures of the envelopes that are about to be delivered to your mailbox. So when I see that anything is important, I then go to the mailbox to get my mail, otherwise it could be weeks before I empty it out!

What position does he have?

Most workers like carriers and window clerks, custodians etc. Would not be needed .

Mailhandlers and processing clerks on graveyard shift work everyday of the week. They would just get extra pay for the Bush bonus.

I don't understand the deal your friend got.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I wasn't aware of the USPS notification service.

Thankx, 300.

It's a job that doesn't require even a high school diploma and pays a living wage with good benefits but most employees have to work hard.

It isn't easy to be a carrier or mailhandlers, clerk is easier.

It helps to be a veteran to get the job and newer hires get fewer be benefits.

It might be considered comparable to many other civil service jobs.

You won't make six figures but it is a good job

MrTop

EOG Master
Postal service does a very good job . Every year during football I get my kelso Stugeon " purchase this now " mail . Never late .

boston massacre

EOG Master
It's a job that doesn't require even a high school diploma and pays a living wage with good benefits but most employees have to work hard.

It isn't easy to be a carrier or mailhandlers, clerk is easier.

It helps to be a veteran to get the job and newer hires get fewer be benefits.

It might be considered comparable to many other civil service jobs.

You won't make six figures but it is a good job

Did you Quit or Retire ? I know all about the P.O.