Yankees seem content to do nothing?

As far as becoming better than Boston and able to compete with top 5 type teams.

They seem to be OK with being just good enough to win the wildcard game.

The infield defense is poor at every position with Didi basically gone for the season, horrible defensive catcher.

They may have to sign that Machado idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:
They need a bit more than that, another starter that is more like a Kluber level guy, at least resign Happ now.

I guess they can always get somebody on a salary dump at the trading deadline to bolster the pitching staff.

Infield is still atrocious on defense. Sanchez can't catch, first base is unproven. Gaybar Torres will move to shortstop unless they sign the idiot Machado, leaves second base open, Andujar sucks at playing third, both Andujar and Gaybar hit well but field poorly that is one hot mess until/ unless Didi comes back. Still 4 out 5 infielders calling Sanchez an infielder are deficient with the glove.

This team could give up 2-3 runs in an Inning without the ball leaving the infield especially if C C Sabathia is pitching.

They desperately need a defensive middle infield player and the Idiot is the fit

This team is just built to win the WC game then lose the next round

They have too many guys that should be designated hitters.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
Yanks did acquire James Paxton from the Mariners last month.

They traded their top pitching prospect for a pitcher who is 30, and had close to a 4:00 ERA in a pitchers park last year. Do you think they will re-sign him at the age of 32 when he becomes a free agent? Doubtful. They should trade Andujar for a pitcher while his stock is high. They can't think too much of him if they sat him in the playoffs for Neil Walker. The Stanton signing was flat out dumb. They didn't need him and that contract. They would have finished first in homers without him. 28 million a year for an OBP of .340 and 220 strikeouts. When will Cashman learn his lesson. They finally got under the cap though, lol. You think they need Machado at 35 mil a year for 10 years?

Agree with trading Andujar for a pitcher. They bought Stanton high after his 59 HR career year when they already had Judge for RF.

I don't want Machado, but I think he is coming, he is a cancerous type of player

Some kind of middle infielder is needed.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
I know they were in on Corbin, but know way would I have given him that contract. I'm a Sox fan and not thrilled about Eovaldi. I know he'll eat up some innings, but no need to give him 4 years. Always a crap-shoot giving pitchers these long guaranteed contracts.

What are the Yankees going to do with Ellsbury? Not play him? Last year, they wanted him to stay hurt so he wouldn't take up a roster spot.

I know they were in on Corbin, but know way would I have given him that contract. I'm a Sox fan and not thrilled about Eovaldi. I know he'll eat up some innings, but no need to give him 4 years. Always a crap-shoot giving pitchers these long guaranteed contracts.

What are the Yankees going to do with Ellsbury? Not play him? Last year, they wanted him to stay hurt so he wouldn't take up a roster spot.

Eovoldi is a risky guy to sign

I consider Ellsbury to be retired, they took away his parking spot !

Andujar is a tough case. He can't play third. Young guy with a great bat. Do you re-position him ?

Where ?

Can't hide him in right field like a Reggie Jackson, already have Two natural right fielder's, left not a fit lots of OF guys on this team.

A full time DH doesn't fit, Stanton, Sanchez etc. Need some serious time there.

First base is all that is left Luke Voit is unproven, Greg Bird will be sent to the .minor leagues, but firstbasemen are easily acquired.

Either move him to first or trade him.

Andujar is also unproven and not really an option for NL teams, see AL team might have a DH job for him ?
He has a lot of value as a hitter since he makes minimum wage.

MrTop

EOG Master
I saw Cashman backing up his truck to the bank the other day. Had a smile on his face with a harper Jacket & machado hat .

I saw Cashman backing up his truck to the bank the other day. Had a smile on his face with a harper Jacket & machado hat .

I really can't see getting both, Harper would have to take over first base then the idiot at short

Much more likely to get Machado, I M O !

I wasn't to familiar with the idiot's defensive skills which seem to be below a average after a bit of review.

This infield could give up 4 runs without a hit or an out.

MrTop

EOG Master
harper dropped so much on defense I wonder if he just was being a bit lazy cause he wanted to be out of washington or he is terrible now. Tune in next year.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
Machado is more valuable than Harper. The Yankees dilemma is they don’t need either.

Exactly- they won 100 games last year. Harper turned down 10 years 300 million from Wash, what do you think he's gunna get? They are both looking for 350-400 million.

Yanks are still not a top 5 team and will be overrated in futures odds.

Don't need another outfielder like A Harper or even a bat like the idiot

Defense and pitching

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Yanks are still not a top 5 team and will be overrated in futures odds.

Don't need another outfielder like A Harper or even a bat like the idiot

Defense and pitching
Cubs, Yankees, Dodgers, and Red Sox will always be overpriced in futures.

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran
Yankees close to getting syndergard. Between him and severino, they would have two of the best young starters.

Please make it happen

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Cubs should know....lol

Phillies GM says he will spend the money and I agree with you....just hope they make some good choices in the next couple weeks....
You’re right, starting with Alphonso Soriano. What team 5 teams into a contract didn’t have buyers remorse? Those contracts are all but impossible to unload. See the Angels for further proof.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
Yankees close to getting syndergard. Between him and severino, they would have two of the best young starters.

Please make it happen

I doubt they are close. I don’t think he gets traded unless it’s an absolute haul coming in on the way back. They would need a lot more than Relmuto in a three team trade.

kane

EOG master
LOL at a Yankees fan bitching about his team, hey Doug, try rooting for the Marlins then get back to me

MrTop

EOG Master
phillies have deep pockets , Have not spent since ryan howard. No reason not to make a big splash here. They have some real good players so far going into 2019

Well they got Happ back, kind of fills the rotation, no real spot for another starter.

Now get a middle infielder guy to replace Didi and they can won the wildcard game again

They didn't do enough to become A real conteder, still need a Machado level guy to just replace Didi

They are built to win 95-100 games in the regular season and make a quick exit after the WC game

kane

EOG master
yanks are getting close to sending sonny gray to the reds

Reds new pitching coach Derek Johnson was Gray's pitching coach in college, maybe he can help turn around what was once a promising career, for whatever reason things haven't worked out for him in NY, maybe a change of scenery will help get him back to the pitcher he was in Oakland.

They traded their top pitching prospect for a pitcher who is 30, and had close to a 4:00 ERA in a pitchers park last year. Do you think they will re-sign him at the age of 32 when he becomes a free agent? Doubtful. They should trade Andujar for a pitcher while his stock is high. They can't think too much of him if they sat him in the playoffs for Neil Walker. The Stanton signing was flat out dumb. They didn't need him and that contract. They would have finished first in homers without him. 28 million a year for an OBP of .340 and 220 strikeouts. When will Cashman learn his lesson. They finally got under the cap though, lol. You think they need Machado at 35 mil a year for 10 years?

Not a loss in my opinion. I've watched Sheffield a few times and don't think that much of him. Yankees farm system has quite a few better arms than him

Valuist

EOG Master
Going from pitching half your starts in Oakland to half in Cincinnati is huge. Over/under Gray ERA of 4.85, if he ends up there.

Sonny Gray just doesn't have the arm he did a few years ago. Smaller pitchers like him break down much more quickly than the big framed durable horses. It's instances like this where GM's show their stupidity. With pitching they way overpay for experience and pay salaries for past performance. Any team could bring up a minor league arm and pay minimum salary for the same type of performance they'll get out of a guy like Gray.

Valuist

EOG Master
Sonny Gray just doesn't have the arm he did a few years ago. Smaller pitchers like him break down much more quickly than the big framed durable horses. It's instances like this where GM's show their stupidity. With pitching they way overpay for experience and pay salaries for past performance. Any team could bring up a minor league arm and pay minimum salary for the same type of performance they'll get out of a guy like Gray.

I think you are right re: Gray but both Greg Maddux and Pedro Martinez were under 6 feet and 175 or so (until Maddux' last few years) and both were exceptionally durable.

I think you are right re: Gray but both Greg Maddux and Pedro Martinez were under 6 feet and 175 or so (until Maddux' last few years) and both were exceptionally durable.

No doubt about it-you couldn't have brought up two better examples. There are always exceptions to every norm. Last two years Gray just hasn't had any life in his arm. It's always possible he can regain something but it's just been an ugly trend line.

MrTop

EOG Master

I would of bet the over on maddux weight & under on height two losers, but I would of got my money back on pedro.

:LOL: