Your favorite hotel/tour destinations

Below is a listing of some of my personal favorites:

1) Fredo Fresas restaurant located en route to the Poas Volcano, an active volcano. Great typical food.
2) Colinas del Poas. Beautiful grounds. Great place to visit with the family. Fine restaurant. Enjoy their beautiful lake renting a kayak for $4. Trout fishing.
3) Rancho el Sapito. Located past Turrialba en route to the Guayabo National Monument. Trout fishing. Petting zoo. Rent a quad.
4) Guayabo National Monument. World heritage site.
5) Isla Tortuga Catamaran Cruise.
6) Valle Orosi and the Ujarras Ruins, Cartago.
7) La Paz Waterfall Gardens. Beautiful one day tour.
8) Hot Springs, La Fortuna de San Carlos. Look up Hotel Manoa. Thank me later.
9) Madre Selva, trout fishing. Located in El Cerro de la Muerte. You gotta stop in one day.
10) San Gerardo de Dota. Secluded, quiet mountain village. The river there is listed in the Top 5 cleanest rivers in the world. Serene destination. Quetzal bird watching. Hiking and horseback riding.
11) Playa Hermosa, Gulf of Papagayo, Guanacaste (north pacific). See Casa Conde del Mar, or Hotel Villas Acacia. Great, world class fishing!
12) Sarchi. Oxcart art and crafts.
13) Mirador Turistico del ICT. Orosi, Costa Rica.
14) Rancho Rio Perlas, Orosi, Costa Rica.
15) Hotel Club del Mar, Jaco, Costa Rica.
16) Hotel Capitan Suizo. Beachfront hotel located in Tamarindo, Guanacaste, Costa Rica.
17) Gold Museum of Costa Rica. Native Costa Rican gold jewelry. Numismatic section. Located in downtown San Jose. Next to, beneath, the National Theatre. The Jade museum is another very interesting place to visit, and is within walking distance from the gold museum.
18) Tapanti National Park. Cartago.

Ezio Auditore

EOG Member
Re: Your favorite hotel/tour destinations

Was just telling NES about #9s and 10 yesterday, athough it's hard to describe just where it is. The best I could do is "it's out there past Cartago", lol. Absolutely beautiful place, probably one of my favorite here. Took the whole family there for New Years and we had a blast. Went to #2 with the wife and kid one weekend, completely enjoyed the scenery and food. I know where #1 is, seen the signs plenty, just never stopped there. Will do one day. I did part of #7. Didn't pay to enter, as my wife took me down some road that showed me a better view of the main waterfall. Good photo moment. #6 was okay. Not much to see, but the drive was cool #8 sounds like my next mini-vacation with the family.

Awesome list, brings back good memories. Now here's some of my favorite places:

1. Peroles. Good restaurant up in the Heredia mountains in Chorreras. Tico food, but delicious.
2. Monte de la Cruz. Picnic/rancho area, so bring your own food. But so peaceful, hiking/biking trails, good views of central valley, just a good relaxing day.
3. Pizza la Finca. Located in Los Angeles de San Rafael de Heredia. Huge property, playground for kids, country place to eat some good pizza and just enjoy the family.

Doh, you already covered most of my favorite places, Mike.

Awesome entries. Will put them on my list of places to visit next.

Let's keep adding to this list.

I've driven by Tilaran, and stopped there for lunch one day. My wife and I still remember how good we thought the food was. Besides seeing the huge wind mills, what else is there to do in the Tilaran area NES?

And one more question: What is your favorite hotel to stay in at Manuel Antonio?

I've driven by Tilaran, and stopped there for lunch one day. My wife and I still remember how good we thought the food was. Besides seeing the huge wind mills, what else is there to do in the Tilaran area NES?

hotel tilawa has a micro brewerey and great view of the lake and all you can eat/drink for $100 per person. They also have one of the better skate parks in Central America and wind/kite surfing on the lake. Nice chill spot where you dont run into a bunch of mongers and coke heads which is a nice change of pace from the normal tourist destinations.

And one more question: What is your favorite hotel to stay in at Manuel Antonio?

I like La Posada right by the entrance to the park, nothing fancy but the owner is a lot of fun and the place is comfy.

redstripe

EOG Veteran

Stayed at Martino Resort and Spa in Aluaheh ? for a poker tourney lsop. Just outside of San Jose . Nice small place.
First and only time in Costa.

Took a tour bus to Arenal hot springs ,that place was great. However the ride to and from was a ride I would never do again.

Whats the town by Martino resort? Went there first night and power went out, as soon as it started getting dark. That was interesting

Wish I had more time to explore, when i was there :cheers

RedStripe: That LSOP event was courtesy of Skybook, was it not?

Let me know next time you are going to visit Costa Rica, and I'll give you recommendations or places to go.

That town near Martino was either La Garita, or Orotina, sound familiar?

I have a new place to ADD to my recommendations: Volcano Lodge, La Fortuna de San Carlos: http://www.volcanolodge.com/ absolutely beautiful place to stay in. Great value.

redstripe

EOG Veteran

RedStripe: That LSOP event was courtesy of Skybook, was it not?

Let me know next time you are going to visit Costa Rica, and I'll give you recommendations or places to go.

That town near Martino was either La Garita, or Orotina, sound familiar?

I have a new place to ADD to my recommendations: Volcano Lodge, La Fortuna de San Carlos: http://www.volcanolodge.com/ absolutely beautiful place to stay in. Great value.

Sure was Mike . You were the man who took care of everything ,Thanks again . :cheers

Never understood why Skybook got rid of poker...

smartymarty

EOG Veteran

nes-- i've been to punta uva/puerto viejo couple times. good time, but, now very dangerous.
do not let anyone you know stay at the marriott in belen.

dangerous in what sense? I dont get out that way very often but I was there last year and all seemed fine.

Willy, where do you recommend staying there at Monteverde and what are the prices like?

http://www.hotelparador.com/

Place is fantastic, great views, pools, food, private beach and service.

Way overrated IMO. Their service may have improved in the ten years since I first went there but I left with such a bad taste in my mouth that I will probably never give them another shot. I am a big fan of Playa Biesanz though, and try to go there every time I'm in the area but unfortunately for the geezers that frequent that hotel it's not as accessible as their site suggest.

Just helped a friend of mine make his way to Destination # 10, San Gerardo de Dota area. He bussed his way there, and back! He absolutely fell in love with the area, and is already talking about going back.

@Ezio: Any updates or new places to share by chance?

@Willy Loman: Going to check rates on that Monteverde recommendation. Wife and I are 13 years late on a formal honeymoon.

Let's keep this list going. Great resource for fellow travelers.